Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
Just got my 2019 sentinel. Upgraded from a 2019 scout. I'm in love.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
Sorry if this has been addressed before but I don't have time to sort through the posts.

I'm 5'10" and looking to get a 2019 Sentinel. I fall right between M and L on their website. Med lists a 450 reach which is similar to my hardtail which feels great to me. So I'm leaning towards the Medium but would like some input from yall. The reason I sold my last bike (2016 Stumpjumper) was because I started feeling cramped after riding a longer bike.

Next questions is, do I go with the Carbon NX or Aluminum NX for less money? I'm on a tight budget but if the Carbon is worth it, I could scrape together the difference.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
TheColonel wrote:
Sorry if this has been addressed before but I don't have time to sort through the posts.

I'm 5'10" and looking to get a 2019 Sentinel. I fall right between M and L on their website. Med lists a 450 reach which is similar to my hardtail which feels great to me. So I'm leaning towards the Medium but would like some input from yall. The reason I sold my last bike (2016 Stumpjumper) was because I started feeling cramped after riding a longer bike.

Next questions is, do I go with the Carbon NX or Aluminum NX for less money? I'm on a tight budget but if the Carbon is worth it, I could scrape together the difference.

Thanks

Coming from a 2019 Remedy 18.5 M/L (435mm reach), I went with the Sentinel in L. I am also 5'10" with 5'10" wingspan. I only demoed the L but it felt great to me so I didn't bother with the M.

I feel like the carbon may offer some damping of vibration but I can't say it offers any more stiffness than my Remedy which was aluminum. I typically choose aluminum but was able to stretch my budget for this bike so I tried carbon. Not disappointed and will continue to buy carbon if I can afford it.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
TheColonel wrote:

Thanks

Coming from a 2019 Remedy 18.5 M/L (435mm reach), I went with the Sentinel in L. I am also 5'10" with 5'10" wingspan. I only demoed the L but it felt great to me so I didn't bother with the M.

I feel like the carbon may offer some damping of vibration but I can't say it offers any more stiffness than my Remedy which was aluminum. I typically choose aluminum but was able to stretch my budget for this bike so I tried carbon. Not disappointed and will continue to buy carbon if I can afford it.

I'd aim for a large carbon too. I tried an aluminum and carbon and was surprised at the weight difference when climbing on the carbon. The alu was a bit sluggish where the carbon wasn't. Didn't seem to matter on the descents much. I demo-ed an XL and it didn't feel too big but I ended up with the L in Carbon and no looking back.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
Same here. I’d go with carbon and L. The alu is offensively heavy. The steep sta makes the cockpit feel shorter. I’m 6’1” and demoed both L and XL and XL felt way better. Some great deals right now!

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:

conv3rt wrote:
I'd aim for a large carbon too. I tried an aluminum and carbon and was surprised at the weight difference when climbing on the carbon. The alu was a bit sluggish where the carbon wasn't. Didn't seem to matter on the descents much. I demo-ed an XL and it didn't feel too big but I ended up with the L in Carbon and no looking back.

WasatchEnduro wrote:
Same here. I’d go with carbon and L. The alu is offensively heavy. The steep sta makes the cockpit feel shorter. I’m 6’1” and demoed both L and XL and XL felt way better. Some great deals right now!

Thanks yall. Going to pull the trigger on the Large Carbon.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Agree Large is the right size for you.

I'm normally one to preach that weight doesn't matter - 2 lbs is 1% of total weight, which slowly you down only about 0.5% and only on climbs ... etc. - but he difference between the aluminum and carbon versions of Transition bikes make even me start looking at the carbon.

I still say to go for the aluminum and use the money you saved to buy a new front tire more frequently. Wouldn't blame you if you went for the carbon, though!

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
5.10" with a 6' wingspan. I went large and am happy. But if you plan on this being a playbike to jump and manual a lot then go medium. I occasionally ride my wife's M smuggler and its really fun to be on a shorter bike but its not as stable.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
I’m 5-10”. Coming off a large 2017 Bronson the medium sentinel I tried felt very familiar and I was going to buy it. The shop owner told me to Also demo the large for a few days. The beginning of the ride took a little adjustment but half way through it became natural. I then got back on the medium and it felt way to short. I bought the large and am very happy with it. It will take a little adjustment but it will fit really good.

I did the carbon build. Felt better due to weight savings (if that matters to you).

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
Thanks all. I was able to sit on a new Large Scout today which has similar reach, etc. and it did not feel too big at all. I'm still torn on what bike to get though. There are others in the running too.

Edit: Pulled the trigger on at Carbon NX build in large yesterday. Now to obsessively check shipping status. Anyone put a Helm on their red (Pinot Noir) frame? They’re a local company for me with amazing customer support and I think the gun metal would look really good.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
What's the Fork offset for a 2019 Sentinel? I picked up a frame to build, super excited. Gonna try this whole 29er thing out!

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 20:54 Quote
The fork offset is whatever you want it to be. Stock numbers are 42 - 44 mm, but keep in mind that when model year 1999 bikes were designed, people thought that was the perfect geometry. Things change and the stock geometry of the Sentinel will look outdated in a few years, so feel free to experiment now.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 3:39 Quote
Experimenting is good, but I want a solid baseline to start with

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 5:18 Quote
As I said, the stock numbers range from 42 - 44 mm, depending on whether it's a RockShox or Fox product. The difference between that and a fork with 51 mm of offset will feel similar to a change in head angle of about 1°, which is perceptible, but not huge.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
any rumors on the 2020 Sentinel?!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005482
Mobile Version of Website