Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
jloosener wrote:
What's your guys' sentinels weight?

My mostly stock size L alloy GX build with NOBL hoops and pedals comes in at 36.3lbs.

I just put mine on the cheap luggage scale and got 34.5lbs, I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Size L carbon frame
GX AXS, X01 cassette, GX cranks
ethirteen TRS race wheels, Assegai/DHR with an insert in the back only
Fox 36, Ohlins coil
240mm OneUp dropper

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 17:48 Quote
appltn wrote:
jloosener wrote:
What's your guys' sentinels weight?

My mostly stock size L alloy GX build with NOBL hoops and pedals comes in at 36.3lbs.

I just put mine on the cheap luggage scale and got 34.5lbs, I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Size L carbon frame
GX AXS, X01 cassette, GX cranks
ethirteen TRS race wheels, Assegai/DHR with an insert in the back only
Fox 36, Ohlins coil
240mm OneUp dropper

Thanks, that sounds about right!

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 20:35 Quote
Just picked up a new 2022 Transition Sentinel, awesome bike! Came from a Hightower and loving every ride on the new whip.

Had a creak develop within the first couple of rides and tried everything…. All pivots, axles, etc., took it back to the shop and they could not locate either. Turned out to be the shock, there was no grease applied to the threads of the can when it was screwed on to the rest of the shock. Unscrewed it, little bit of suspension grease and no more noise!

Just as an FYI for anyone else who may have a similar problem.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 5:29 Quote
Hey everyone.
New owner of a carbon 2022 transition sentinel. I'm coming from a 2020 trek Slash 8 which I had set up with a RS coil and loved. My local trails have a mix of everything everything (chunk, jumps, drops, flow, etc).
I've been reading a little bit about the cascade linkages for the transition and was wondering what people's thoughts are. Is it a no-brainer? I have a megneg lying around that I could throw on from my Slash.
Would love to hear what coil people are running and whether they would recommend it as well.
I apologize in advance if this was discussed previously
Thanks!

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
arweatherby wrote:
Hey everyone.
New owner of a carbon 2022 transition sentinel. I'm coming from a 2020 trek Slash 8 which I had set up with a RS coil and loved. My local trails have a mix of everything everything (chunk, jumps, drops, flow, etc).
I've been reading a little bit about the cascade linkages for the transition and was wondering what people's thoughts are. Is it a no-brainer? I have a megneg lying around that I could throw on from my Slash.
Would love to hear what coil people are running and whether they would recommend it as well.
Thanks!

It seems like if you wanted to run a coil on the first generation Sentinel then a Cascade link was the way to go but with the V2 Sentinel I wouldn't say it was a no-brainer. I run an Ohlins coil on mine with the standard link and it is great so I'm personally not looking at changing the link.

Others might be along with experience of the Cascade link to tell you how it differs.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
I’m on a cane creek Kitsuma coil and on my v2 sentinel it’s great on small and mid sized stuff but I’m bottoming on drops of 2 feet or higher. Sag is about 27% on a 450lb spring. I’m 5’9 and about 75kgs and I think a 500lb spring might lose the plushness over janky rooty stuff.

I’ve just acquired a progressive 450-550lb spring to try that’ll hopefully do the job.

My last bike worked great with coil and had a 30% progression where the Sentinel is 24%. Apparently the cascade link ups this to 30% on the carbon sentinel v2 but it also raises the travel to 165mm on the rear unless you use a shorter stroke shock (on my alloy frame you have to use a shorter stroke regardless).

I’m hoping the progressive spring sortsnit without having to rely on too much hsc to prop it up - if not it’ll be a cascade link for me I reckon.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
arweatherby wrote:
Hey everyone.
Thanks!

Have ridden all of the above on the sentinel, I'll list them out below. all of these were paired with a zeb ultimate up front.

- Stock superdeluxe (SD) air - decent

- Float X air (borrowed from a buddy) - decent, about the same as the stock SD

- superdeluxe coil - wasn't really a fan, might have been the fact that i had rebound too fast but ended up selling it

- marz bomber cr coil - liked it, ran it for awhile and switched back and forth with air. had to add quite a bit of LSC to get a good pedaling platform, even with a slightly oversprung coil

- superdeluxe with megneg - better than both the stock SD and the float x. it's a good "halfway" between a standard air shock and a coil shock. soft off the top, way more midstroke support, and didn't bottom out as much

- cascade link with float x (borrowed) - best of the bunch. feels ground hugging like a coil but retains the pop of an air shock

Final setup will be a cascade link with the standard aircan superdeluxe, it was the best of the bunch for me. incredibly supple off the top, feels totally bottomless, still poppy when you push into it, and stays up higher in the travel. and its lighter than a coil shock.

if i was keeping the stock link, i think i'd stick with the megneg superdeluxe and a coil for super chunky days where pedaling isn't as much of a concern

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
I’m running an ohlins coil on my carbon sentinel. It’s amazing. I’m not looking at changing the link either
I don’t feel I need a lock out or extra compression for pedalling. Just sit and spin and it’s all good.
Paired with a lyrik ultimate upfront

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
brand new CC link for V2 or current Scout up for grabs at a discount if anyone is looking

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3380361/

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 20:17 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
brand new CC link for V2 or current Scout up for grabs at a discount if anyone is looking

What setup are you going with now?

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 21:28 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:

I’ve still got my nickel plated cc link but I’m currently on stock link as I need to swap bearings on cc link. Im enjoying stock link with this EXT but my bike ate my shock hardware so I’m trying to determine if it was shit EXT hardware, cc link accelerating wear, etc. also waiting for frame bearings to come in from TR as my frame is loosey goosey ha!

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 4:13 Quote
I'm running standard link with a Push 11/6 and I love it. Made the bike much better in every way from the X2...(except weight of course)

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:

I’ve still got my nickel plated cc link but I’m currently on stock link as I need to swap bearings on cc link. Im enjoying stock link with this EXT but my bike ate my shock hardware so I’m trying to determine if it was shit EXT hardware, cc link accelerating wear, etc. also waiting for frame bearings to come in from TR as my frame is loosey goosey ha!

ah gotcha. i wish they still made the nickel plated link

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide the great feedback. The response and level of engagement is super helpful and much appreciated. I am going to grab a CC link as a first step and do some testing. Will report back.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007015
Mobile Version of Website