Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 13:46 Quote
arweatherby wrote:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide the great feedback. The response and level of engagement is super helpful and much appreciated. I am going to grab a CC link as a first step and do some testing. Will report back.

put that money towards a good coil shock...(EXT or Push)...try and sell yours to make some return and thank us later.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
Rattly carbon sentinels? Been told it’s likely the entry port on the dropper cable opening on the front of the frame, anything else I could check it could be? Running axs gears so not the rear

everything came across from my v2 sentinel alloy, which I don’t remember having this type of cable type rattle noise I’ve got on the carbon one?

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
Rattly carbon sentinels? Been told it’s likely the entry port on the dropper cable opening on the front of the frame, anything else I could check it could be? Running axs gears so not the rear

everything came across from my v2 sentinel alloy, which I don’t remember having this type of cable type rattle noise I’ve got on the carbon one?

i had to change away from gx axs recently as the chain noise was getting so bloody annoying, Tried a new one(warranty) and no difference, borrowed a friends X01 and the same noise. Went back to my XT and it instantly vanished? lol

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

i had to change away from gx axs recently as the chain noise was getting so bloody annoying, Tried a new one(warranty) and no difference, borrowed a friends X01 and the same noise. Went back to my XT and it instantly vanished? lol

Interesting I’ve only recently got axs, I had x01 before that though didn’t really notice either being overly noisy other than general chain slap

You put xt on your senty and it’s now quiet then? Edit sorry realised we’d messaged you’ve not got one anymore

It either sounds like cable rattle or chain slap or something inbetween but must be related to the carbon frame as I had little to no sound on the alloy sentinel v2 and nothing else has changed I’ve literally taken everything across

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 23:03 Quote
Interesting rattle issues - has anyone put more chainstay protection on the reduce noise? Anyone done the VHS slapped tape?

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 0:47 Quote
The frame comes with a length of foam tube which is supposed to go around the dropper cable inside the frame.

Do you have this and is it well positioned? I found I needed the foam around the bottom bracket area to get it silent.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 2:12 Quote
appltn wrote:
The frame comes with a length of foam tube which is supposed to go around the dropper cable inside the frame.

Do you have this and is it well positioned? I found I needed the foam around the bottom bracket area to get it silent.

Hey - yep i have the foam on - infact i put another run of it over too, and then a piece of thicker foam almost near the top so it must be shoved down as far as it can before entering the tube in tube im sure

i might take the cranks/bb out and see if i can see the foam/or pull at it - to get it positioned better when the dropper cable is in its final position, but im sure with the amount ive added it would have no choice but to be down around the BB

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 2:12 Quote
tbc wrote:
Interesting rattle issues - has anyone put more chainstay protection on the reduce noise? Anyone done the VHS slapped tape?

ive thought about this too - removing the old one and trying it - the tranny chainstay protector doesnt stop much chain slap noise at all

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
tbc wrote:

ive thought about this too - removing the old one and trying it - the tranny chainstay protector doesnt stop much chain slap noise at all

My Alloy Sentinel had so much chain slap, sounded like the chain stay rubber did nothing. I run Gx derailleurs which may have contributed also.

I just put on a STFU and it made a huge difference. Still not 100% silent all the time, but a huge improvement and worth $35 in my opinion.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
Finished my build. She rips. I've got a few rides on it so far. Couple of shorter trail rides and one day of park, which was a blast. It's more composed and stable than my other bike at speed - which was the intention for this build. I'm thinking this bike will need a harder hitting shock - I am coil curious, but have never ridden one. Also don't want to add too much more weight.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
Atron80 wrote:
Finished my build. She rips. I've got a few rides on it so far. Couple of shorter trail rides and one day of park, which was a blast. It's more composed and stable than my other bike at speed - which was the intention for this build. I'm thinking this bike will need a harder hitting shock - I am coil curious, but have never ridden one. Also don't want to add too much more weight.

photo

photo

With all the Kashima goodness on there, you should run a Factory X2

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 17:08 Quote
Atron80 wrote:

photo

photo

Beautiful! Nice work man. I think coil is stellar on this bike given its progressivity - go for it! I'm a sucker for Bomber CR w/ Avy tune, affordable but takes a while...

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 17:25 Quote
Atron80 wrote:

photo

photo

Cascade link. cheaper than a coil and lighter Big Grin

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 0:41 Quote
ernn wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
tbc wrote:

My Alloy Sentinel had so much chain slap, sounded like the chain stay rubber did nothing. I run Gx derailleurs which may have contributed also.

I just put on a STFU and it made a huge difference. Still not 100% silent all the time, but a huge improvement and worth $35 in my opinion.

Yep im pretty sure most of the noise im getting is chainslap - seems more pronounced on the carbon version over the alloy one for some reason...im going to get some of that VHS tape stuff and remove the old one, a few people i know of have done this and all but eliminated chain slap

why cant bike companies just put a decent one on from the off, they cant cost much more than the ones they provide surely

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 0:43 Quote
Atron80 wrote:

photo

photo

id go with a kashima x2 also - especially on the alloy build - youve already said you dont want to add weight, so for me that would rule out the coil on the alloy build as its pretty damn heavy without adding more - the x2 works well on the alloy as does a coil - but starting again id go x2 - the bike starts to feel too sluggish to me with the extra weight of the frame and a coil

on a carbon frame totally different scenario - but for the alloy id stick with air if you dont want to lose some of the playfulness

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018271
Mobile Version of Website