Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 21:45 Quote
Has anyone had issues with play on their linkage and/or gaps on the bolts?

I noticed a couple days ago that the two shock bolts on my CC link have a gap under them, even when fully torqued to spec. One side is worse than the other and I can move the link back and forth even with all of the bolts torqued. I took the bolt out and swapped with the other side with the same outcome. Here’s a photo of the bolt torqued and one of the bearing with the bolt out.

I’m not quite sure what my options are for a fix, seems strange.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:17 Quote
Some of the trunnion bolts have been a little long from the factory. Official fix is to grind them down a little bit, But to be safe I would reach out to both Transition and to Cascade and see what their thoughts are.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Some of the trunnion bolts have been a little long from the factory. Official fix is to grind them down a little bit, But to be safe I would reach out to both Transition and to Cascade and see what their thoughts are.

I shot CC an email and will see what they say. Strange thing is that when I swapped the bolts, I still only have play on the one side.

I’m going to throw the stock link back on today and see if the issue is still there. I never noticed gaps on the bolts or play in the link when I was running stock, but it could have been me just not paying attention. I’ll shoot Transition an email if the issue is the same.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
CC replied and suggested it could be uneven bolt lengths, shallow threads on the shock itself on one side, or one spacer being thinner than the other.

I measured the bolts threaded in with the shock off and both came up the same. Measured the bolt length off the shock as well as the spacers and everything was identical.

I just popped the stock link back on and the play and excessive gap are gone (there is still a tiny gap but not nearly as noticeable).

It seems like it would have to be the way the bearing is pressed and/or the way the circlip/ring thing is positioned. I'm not quite sure how to go about resolving that though.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 13:56 Quote
Possible the CC link is just thinner than the stock link, thus exposing that area more. Counter bore for the bearing could also be deeper on the stock link. If everything is tight I'd run it. Kind of a bummer the CC link would allow more dirt to get into the bearings though

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 13:57 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Possible the CC link is just thinner than the stock link, thus exposing that area more. Counter bore for the bearing could also be deeper on the stock link. If everything is tight I'd run it. Kind of a bummer the CC link would allow more dirt to get into the bearings though

That's the thing, I the drive side with the gap has a ton of play. I can move it back and forth with my fingers when everything is fully torqued.

I wouldn't mind if it were just the gaps (although, the bearings were filthy every time I've popped the bolts off.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
ernn wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

That's the thing, I the drive side with the gap has a ton of play. I can move it back and forth with my fingers when everything is fully torqued.

I wouldn't mind if it were just the gaps (although, the bearings were filthy every time I've popped the bolts off.

just to be sure i'd measure to see if the shock itself is somehow off center (like the gap between the inside face of the link and the face of the trunnion mount)

either way i'd be worried about extra stress on the shock

edit: now that i think about it, each side of the rocker by design has a little side to side wobble so this might not be the most accurate way to measure; maybe at the bottom?

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 14:24 Quote
actually, mine also has around .25mm of space on either side of the CC link

I can't feel any discernable play but I'll unmount the shock later to check

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
I let Cascade Components know that the stock link does not have any play when bolted up.

They replied with the following:

"If it's not doing it with the stock link it's likely because the back side of the bolt head is contacting the link as it moves outwards. This is not something you want to have happen either. The most definitive test would be to take a 6900 bearing that is not installed in anything and bolt it up to the shock with the spacer as if it were in the link and see if that moves around. The only things the shock bolt should be touching on either link are the bearing, the shock, and the shock spacer so nothing else factors into whether or not it has play."

I'm confused by that response, but I guess I'll have to find an old bearing somewhere and try that.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
Anyone a heavier rider running the cascade link? I’m 250lbs and have been having some trouble with setup with my superdeluxe air. At 30% sag the back end feels too gooey with not enough support, and bobs a decent amount climbing. I bumped up the pressure which put me at about 26-27% sag which feels like it has more support but obviously comes at the expense of some off the top feel, and it still doesn’t seem to have as much support in berms as the stock link with a megneg can installed.

Reached out to a local suspension tuning shop who thinks the cascade link is exacerbating the lack of damping that’s already there for how heavy I am, and recommended going with a custom tune and the stock link. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone a heavier rider running the cascade link? I’m 250lbs and have been having some trouble with setup with my superdeluxe air. At 30% sag the back end feels too gooey with not enough support, and bobs a decent amount climbing. I bumped up the pressure which put me at about 26-27% sag which feels like it has more support but obviously comes at the expense of some off the top feel, and it still doesn’t seem to have as much support in berms as the stock link with a megneg can installed.

Reached out to a local suspension tuning shop who thinks the cascade link is exacerbating the lack of damping that’s already there for how
heavy I am, and recommended going with a
custom tune and the stock link. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts

Have you tried contacting CC to see what they say?

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
s3ntin3l wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

Reached out to a local suspension tuning shop who thinks the cascade link is exacerbating the lack of damping that’s already there for how
heavy I am, and recommended going with a
custom tune and the stock link. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts

Have you tried contacting CC to see what they say?

Yea I dropped them a line as well, waiting to hear back

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 15:48 Quote
Any of you guys coming from a Stumpy Evo to a Sentinel? How do the two compare? In my head the Sentinel is going to be a little burlier on trail. I've got a Stumpy Evo and an Enduro but I'm looking to sell both and get a Sentinel.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
Anyone else notice the price hike…

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 18:16 Quote
mrutledge414 wrote:
Anyone else notice the price hike…

Yup, $300 across the board. Happened when the new carbon patrol dropped

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008387
Mobile Version of Website