Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 8:17 Quote
I’m on the 2022 alloy as well. With the float X at 57.5mm and the CC link. I ran 26% sag on a ride with a 1” token on the Float X yesterday and it actually felt pretty good.

What spring are you running on the Kitsuma? I have a Super Deluxe on the way and am curious where I’ll end up spring rate wise. CC recommends a 450 at 160LB rider weight, but with my current bottoming experiences and preference for less sag, I’m curious if 500 wouldn’t be a bad starting point.

Im around 165LB without gear and ride like an idiot sometimes, but have fun doing it.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
ernn wrote:
I’m on the 2022 alloy as well. With the float X at 57.5mm and the CC link. I ran 26% sag on a ride with a 1” token on the Float X yesterday and it actually felt pretty good.

What spring are you running on the Kitsuma? I have a Super Deluxe on the way and am curious where I’ll end up spring rate wise. CC recommends a 450 at 160LB rider weight, but with my current bottoming experiences and preference for less sag, I’m curious if 500 wouldn’t be a bad starting point.

Im around 165LB without gear and ride like an idiot sometimes, but have fun doing it.

How did you get the float x down to 57.5mm - did you have to send it to Fox / a suspension servicing company to do?

I think I’m my Kitsuma coil it’s just a case of adding a spacer under the bump stop which takes a few mins - but I like having the float x as a spare.

I tried a 400 and 450 standard Valt spring but both bottom too easily off relatively small drops (2 foot and higher). Now on a 450-550 progressive Valt spring and it’s much better so far but hasn’t had a really good test on bigger drops.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 12:30 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:
ernn wrote:

How did you get the float x down to 57.5mm - did you have to send it to Fox / a suspension servicing company to do?

I think I’m my Kitsuma coil it’s just a case of adding a spacer under the bump stop which takes a few mins - but I like having the float x as a spare.

I tried a 400 and 450 standard Valt spring but both bottom too easily off relatively small drops (2 foot and higher). Now on a 450-550 progressive Valt spring and it’s much better so far but hasn’t had a really good test on bigger drops.

The Float X just uses spacers that you can do at home, takes all but 5 minutes. Hard part for me was finding the spacers in stock anywhere. Fox themselves were sold out for awhile there. Worth noting that going from 62.5 to 57.5 requires two longer screws.

I'm going to try and start on a 500# spring and go from there. If anyone here has one floating around, let me know!

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPyfNNdWVi0.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
Hey everyone.
I posted a few weeks back about rear suspension set up and asked folks their recommendations for the 2022 carbon sentinel (appreciative of all the constructive feedback!)
Just put a megneg on today. It is coupled with the cascade link. I have no spacers and 2 bands. Wondering what folks running for pressure, rebound, compression etc
I am 180lbs geared up 81-82 kilos. I ride a mix of everything.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
Wondering if anyone can provide some insight on the V2. I ride very mellow trails during the week but head up to Northern MN for bike park and rock slabs on the weekends. Current ride is a Ripley AF, which is perfect for the stuff around the twin cities MN during the week but definitely gets a little sketchy in the park. Looking for something thats a little bigger for those park days but obviously needs to pedal well. Is the Sentinel that bike? Obviously the Ripmo is the next step up but I kind of want to try something different, as great as Ibis bikes are.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
I had a ripmo before my sentinel and I would say it’s more of an all rounder than the sentinel. However, I love my sentinel and wouldn’t go back to a ripmo.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
Sentinel and Ripmo were on my list as well as a Nukeproof Reactor and Bird Aether 9.

I went Sentinel alloy as a local bike shop had frame only in stock in my size.

I ruled out the Ripmo AF because of the yolk driven shock that means only certain shocks are strong enough to use - and because it’s a little bit ugly. I think the Ripmo probably pedals a bit better / is a bit more lively but is less good at the chunky fast rocky stuff.

Sentinel carbon would have been my ideal choice but it was a bit spendy.

Same for the carbon Reactor - and the Aether was out of stock in my size at the time in either alloy or carbon.

Sentinel rides pretty well for a big bike on flat / twisty stuff - it’s more playful than I expected it to be and considering it is fairly heavy in alloy - think my bike is just a squeak under 34lbs. I built it with a Lyrik ultimate / xt 12 speed with Sram carbon cranks / 210mm dropper / code Rs / XM481 rims on Hope Pro 4 rear and Bitex front hubs. Carbon bars / light stem / Exo casing weight tyres.

If you can afford the carbon frame I think it’s a couple of lbs lighter or so.

The Sentinel is pretty quick at Bike Park Wales on an uplift day - certainly more capable than I am. Also find it really comfy on steep tech off piste stuff. It’s my first 29er and I’m surprised how well it turns - I’m 5’9 tall and ideally there would be an ML size between the medium and large but I went for the medium. Hardly any manufacturers make a rowdy full suss bike with reach of about 465mm which is my ideal.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
tbc wrote:
I had a ripmo before my sentinel and I would say it’s more of an all rounder than the sentinel. However, I love my sentinel and wouldn’t go back to a ripmo.

Why wouldn’t you go back? Is it just the really slack head tube that makes the Sentinel so confidence inspiring?

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
The sentinel likes a Rider who will sit on the bars to get the most from the bike( see most of the reviews)

I ended up selling mine as its front end isnt suited to mellow stuff. - however ive since ridden a sentinel with both b +1deg and +1.5deg Headset and its so good(luckily was able to ride a friends and he had the same problem so bought the works sets)
Honestly, I would now buy anther and put that headset in it for anything less than super steep steep trails. as enduro-mtb say "a powerful bike for a powerful rider"

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 16:07 Quote
You might be looking more at a Stumpjumper Evo than a Sentinel. I own one and it does not flinch on the descents and is a little bit lighter than a Sentinel. The main plus is the bike has really adjustable geo. You can adjust HA from 63-65.5, and you can adjust CS length and BB height.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-evo-geometry/app?&ht=0&hp=1&ws=1&sz=3

Transition is a much more rad company than Specialized and the Sentinel is a much better looking bike, but if you want a highly versatile 150mm rig the Evo Stumpy is your bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 16:30 Quote
a-prince wrote:
You might be looking more at a Stumpjumper Evo than a Sentinel. I own one and it does not flinch on the descents and is a little bit lighter than a Sentinel. The main plus is the bike has really adjustable geo. You can adjust HA from 63-65.5, and you can adjust CS length and BB height.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-evo-geometry/app?&ht=0&hp=1&ws=1&sz=3

Transition is a much more rad company than Specialized and the Sentinel is a much better looking bike, but if you want a highly versatile 150mm rig the Evo Stumpy is your bike.

The Elite alloy build looks absolutely amazing, I’ll have to test ride a few different bikes.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
a-prince wrote:

Yep, currently on a stumpy, such a great riding bike. fast or slow it rides excellent.

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 10:49 Quote
If anyone is looking, Transition just got a few Carbon GX builds in stock. Managed to snag one this morning.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Sentinel.cfm

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 4:13 Quote
Anyone running a 38/Zeb on their v1? How’s its change with the longer axle to crown? Enjoying the stiffer front end? Considering a used 38/Zeb or just trying a smash pot in my current 36 grip 2.

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 6:51 Quote
reidmorebooks wrote:
Anyone running a 38/Zeb on their v1? How’s its change with the longer axle to crown? Enjoying the stiffer front end? Considering a used 38/Zeb or just trying a smash pot in my current 36 grip 2.

I just ordered a zeb 160mm for my v1. I currently have a 170mm fox 36. I opted for the 160 because it has the same axle to crown as my fox 36. Once I get it installed I will let you know if I can tell the difference. FYI, I purchased last year’s model.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011531
Mobile Version of Website