Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
a-prince wrote:
They feel pretty similar to me. The Sentinel has more of a solid/planted feel through the straight line rough sections. They feel very similar climbing, but my Sentinel is a little heavier. Splitting hairs I would say the Sentinel is a slightly more aggressive descender while the Stevo feels a little more nimble and easier to maneuver. The Stevo is a little more intuitive and easy to get a long with. The Sentinel with such a slack head angle definitely takes more deliberate aggression to get it to slap through the corners.

Based on my initial impressions the Stevo has a plusher suspension platform even with an air shock compared to the coil on my Sentinel. I want to try the #450 spring on my Sentinel, but the progression/ramp up is definitely noticeable. I ran my Steveo with zero spacers in my Float X and you could really feel the thing dive into it's travel routinely. The Sentinel does not give me the same feeling but also adds to the really solid feel.

This Sentinel is the best looking bike I've owned. Love this thing so far.

yeah id agree - stumpy evo is one hell of a good do it all easy engaging bike, its just a shame they skimped on the downtube thickness, its insane how thin it is.....ive had whacks on my sentinel in that same spot and i can guarentee if it was on the EVO id have a cracked frame

sentinel is a great all rounder too, just needs riding a little more aggresively, and not quite as nimble/fun on lesser trails - i do generally miss the EVO though for most parts of riding - but the sentinels a good bike- just not quite as well rounded

Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
a-prince wrote:
They feel pretty similar to me. The Sentinel has more of a solid/planted feel through the straight line rough sections. They feel very similar climbing, but my Sentinel is a little heavier. Splitting hairs I would say the Sentinel is a slightly more aggressive descender while the Stevo feels a little more nimble and easier to maneuver. The Stevo is a little more intuitive and easy to get a long with. The Sentinel with such a slack head angle definitely takes more deliberate aggression to get it to slap through the corners.

Based on my initial impressions the Stevo has a plusher suspension platform even with an air shock compared to the coil on my Sentinel. I want to try the #450 spring on my Sentinel, but the progression/ramp up is definitely noticeable. I ran my Steveo with zero spacers in my Float X and you could really feel the thing dive into it's travel routinely. The Sentinel does not give me the same feeling but also adds to the really solid feel.

This Sentinel is the best looking bike I've owned. Love this thing so far.

yeah id agree - stumpy evo is one hell of a good do it all easy engaging bike, its just a shame they skimped on the downtube thickness, its insane how thin it is.....ive had whacks on my sentinel in that same spot and i can guarentee if it was on the EVO id have a cracked frame

sentinel is a great all rounder too, just needs riding a little more aggresively, and not quite as nimble/fun on lesser trails - i do generally miss the EVO though for most parts of riding - but the sentinels a good bike- just not quite as well rounded

Which is funny as i dented my sentinel downtube and the EVO i had didnt have any issues(i was running a rockguardz)

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 14:47 Quote
Ooo it's nice! Got 26% sag with the 450lb spring (without all my gear on). Feels light off the top but ramps up nice. Can't wait to test it out

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 20:25 Quote
Anyone wonder if the design of the rocker link causes trunnion shocks to wear out quicker? I noticed on the new Patrol and Spire, the 2 rocker arms are connected together which significantly takes load off of the shock. Sentinel doesn't have that so the 2 links are never working against each other and thus twisting differently. I suppose one downside to the Patrol/Spire links is they may wear out bearings before they wear out the shock... Food for thought?

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 3:47 Quote
From what I’ve seen in Spire forums there’s some bad stuff happening with shocks on those frames too, maybe worse than what I’ve seen for the Sentinel. It’s one of the reasons I’ve stuck with my current frame (it works).

I’m sure the Spire/Patrol design is stiffer, but it seems like alignment is a problem for all 3 frames. I have no idea whether that’s a manufacturing or design issue. It’s also hard to tell how many people are really having problems. Hopefully it’s just a few and they are easily remedied with Transition support.

I used to believe the trunnion setup was the future, but now I wonder if it has its own challenges.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 5:43 Quote
Do all bikes with a trunnion mounted shock have shock issues? I have a v1 sentinel and haven’t had any issues with my shock.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 7:31 Quote
Jmwenner wrote:
From what I’ve seen in Spire forums there’s some bad stuff happening with shocks on those frames too, maybe worse than what I’ve seen for the Sentinel. It’s one of the reasons I’ve stuck with my current frame (it works).

I’m sure the Spire/Patrol design is stiffer, but it seems like alignment is a problem for all 3 frames. I have no idea whether that’s a manufacturing or design issue. It’s also hard to tell how many people are really having problems. Hopefully it’s just a few and they are easily remedied with Transition support.

I used to believe the trunnion setup was the future, but now I wonder if it has its own challenges.

The pics I have seen of the new smuggler it looks like they didn’t go with a trunnion mount for that frame. Never had an issue with a trunnion mount myself but i did think it was interesting they chose not to spec trunnion mount for a “small” travel bike. The relay is sticking with a trunnion mount so looks like I’m gonna be a trunnion guy for the foreseeable future. If I’m actually able to get my hands on one!

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
I am tempted to jump onto the oncoil bandwagon and pick up an new RS Super Deluxe coil with Adjustable Hydraulic Bottom Out over the winter.

I have found 2 options:

The first is the generic tune (Linear Rebound/L Compression), Manf. Product# 00.4118.359.010

The second is a Transition Sentinel Specific one, Manf. Product# 00.4118.359.041

Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference between the 2? I am assuming it will be easier to find the generic one.

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 0:34 Quote
Interestingly I had and still have an issue with my Push shock…not sure if it’s related or not with the frame but…I was having an issue with alignment on one of the rocker links that was misaligned from day one with one side bolt not sitting flush. Transition sent me a new one and it took 6weeks and it’s great now. In the meantime I was noticing a small annoying rattle at the start of the travel which sounded like a linkage that was loose or a cable rattle. However I put the X2 back and the noise was gone. I noticed that the X2 goes in the frame a lot tighter than the Push on the lower mount. The Push guys say it’s either premature wear of the shock mounting spherical bearing (maybe due to misalignment) or I need their new hardware to make the shock mount tighter to the frame. We will see!

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
Got the idea I should try a more enduro style bike build. Now I have a Meta TR with a DB IL Coil w. Valt progressive coil. Size M. I like it, but now I found a used Large carbon Transition Sentinel at a good price. Got me curious. Before the Meta I had a V1 Alu Sentinel size M. At 176 cm I would be pushing the sizing to much on a Large? I was actually thinking a 170 fork and a +1 degree angleset. Strange now thinking about flipping anglesets the "wrong way". It would shorten the wheelbase about 6 mm, and the reach would be 7 mm less.(4mm more than the Meta TR) +5mm BB. All the numbers are then quite similar, but the wheelbase a good bit longer (27mm compared to the Meta...)

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 14:58 Quote
Any rumors of a v3 sentinel?

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 15:13 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:

I haven't seen a single one. I don't think there's one in the pipe at this point...

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 16:13 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Anyone wonder if the design of the rocker link causes trunnion shocks to wear out quicker? I noticed on the new Patrol and Spire, the 2 rocker arms are connected together which significantly takes load off of the shock. Sentinel doesn't have that so the 2 links are never working against each other and thus twisting differently. I suppose one downside to the Patrol/Spire links is they may wear out bearings before they wear out the shock... Food for thought?

I’d bet that the Spire’s one piece link is easier on shocks. One thing for sure though is that it makes for a stiffer rear end. Not sure what I prefer as the Sentinel gets a little better traction than the Spire when cornering due to the additional flex but it can be a little unnerving when you really get it loaded up in a corner. (I have both bikes built up at the moment). Neko Mullally noticed this when he tied his two plate rocker together on his FTW DH bike as well.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:

what could be improved? UDH? In frame storage? Geo is on point if not already a bit "risky"?!

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 13:51 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
Scottwhatever802 wrote:

what could be improved? UDH? In frame storage? Geo is on point if not already a bit "risky"?!

Yeah in frame storage, designed around a 170mm fork, remove the swimming pool under the bottom rear shock mount, a design that accommodates experimenting with a mullet setup. But maybe I’m just describing a new Spire though ha. Minus the pressfit bb, that new Giant Reign looks like good inspiration for a new Sentinel.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017291
Mobile Version of Website