Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 8:31 Quote
poconnell1229 wrote:
trialstars wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
I dont really understand why they’d offer two greys that are almost identical though?

This has me worried as I’m waiting for a warranty front triangle, I’ll not be happy if it’s a different colour to the rear.

I’m waiting on one, too. Curious what your issue is. One of the tabs holding the brake line ripped out. Otherwise, the bike has been amazing

I had an issue with the lower shock mount, apart from that I love the bike, TR have been pretty good and open from that the start, I can’t fault them, the lead time is a pain tho.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 5:18 Quote
trialstars wrote:
poconnell1229 wrote:
trialstars wrote:

This has me worried as I’m waiting for a warranty front triangle, I’ll not be happy if it’s a different colour to the rear.

I’m waiting on one, too. Curious what your issue is. One of the tabs holding the brake line ripped out. Otherwise, the bike has been amazing

I had an issue with the lower shock mount, apart from that I love the bike, TR have been pretty good and open from that the start, I can’t fault them, the lead time is a pain tho.

Yes, taking a long time. Luckily, the problem I have has zero effect on being able to ride it. Good luck.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 5:21 Quote
RooftopSTP wrote:
poconnell1229 wrote:
trialstars wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Warranty took care of me quickly and replaced (and did the work!) free of charge. Benefits of living fifteen minutes from the outpost.

Yeah, buying local pays off (not everyone has the option, but glad I do). Won't get charged a dime for labor. Now if I can just get Transition to send the front triangle, I'll be all square.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 8:01 Quote
Anyone ever run a +1* headset to make the head angle 64.6? Would raise the front end a little but might turn it into more of a trail bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Anyone ever run a +1* headset to make the head angle 64.6? Would raise the front end a little but might turn it into more of a trail bike.

I run a +1 angle headset with a 170 fork. I found that the bike didn't corner much better but the front wheel had more traction. I didn't notice the change in height on the trail.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
We've run +1 and +1.5 - IMO i think the bike suits the steeper HTA

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
I’ve run my v2 alloy sentinel with a 150 and a 160mm Lyrik. I’d say with the air shock on it (float x) it just feels like a long legged trail bike tbh. Can’t see a downside to the head angle - the only thing that would make it more trail is saving a bit of weight I think.

With a coil shock on it feels a bit more like ‘enduro lite’ I’d say. Riding at Rogate bike park this week I’d say it felt a little bit sluggish at times - but the trails are quite sandy tbh.

Riding it at Risca / Afan Masts / Bike Park Wales etc in South Wales it’s just epic.

For comparison I’ve had a quick go on a Nukeproof Mega 297 back to back and would say that felt more plush / more enduro steam roller than the Sentinel.

Posted: Dec 23, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
I'm switching to a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate Air. Anyone know what hardware I'll need?

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
macanano wrote:
I'm switching to a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate Air. Anyone know what hardware I'll need?

25x8mm bushing for the bottom

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 6:55 Quote
I've been pedaling around my Carbon Spire XT for over a year now and have really enjoyed the bike. But I rode a friends brand new 2023 Sentinel GX build, I'm really surprised how much lighter it felt and how much better it pedaled. Our bikes had the same shocks (Float X). I originally bought the Spire thinking I'd eventually get a shorter travel trail bike for most of the riding I do. But I have too many two wheeled toys in the garage already, and need to stick to one acoustic mountain bike. The Sentinel feels like a much better all around bike, looking forward to getting one here soon.

Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
I’ve not ridden a Spire but the Sentinel surprised me with how poppy it is for a relatively long travel 29er. It isn’t much less poppy than my previous 150f / 130mm rear 650b trail bike - but it trucks through rock gardens / multiple roots a lot better without being slowed down.

Mine’s alloy as the carbon frame was out of budget for me - would be nice to have the carbon one and save the weight but hey ho.

Mine came with a float x which isn’t bad - but I find air shocks in general wallow a bit in the mid range. I ran a coil on my trail bike so thought I’d do the same on the Sentinel but found I was bottoming it out - it’s got less progression (24% vs 30%). I’ve recently picked up a Cascade link and rode it with the coil for the first time today and it was amazing. I shortened the stroke so have 155mm rear travel with a Kitsuma Coil. It still pops off stuff nicely but has loads more grip on small stuff. It’s plush, but also feels bottomless. Love this bike so much.

Posted: Dec 28, 2022 at 19:56 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
I've been pedaling around my Carbon Spire XT for over a year now and have really enjoyed the bike. But I rode a friends brand new 2023 Sentinel GX build, I'm really surprised how much lighter it felt and how much better it pedaled. Our bikes had the same shocks (Float X). I originally bought the Spire thinking I'd eventually get a shorter travel trail bike for most of the riding I do. But I have too many two wheeled toys in the garage already, and need to stick to one acoustic mountain bike. The Sentinel feels like a much better all around bike, looking forward to getting one here soon.

The Sentinel is definitely more an allrounder but if you actually use your spire for what it's capable of you will be disappointed. You can make up for the Spire's portliness with better fitness, but there's no replacement for losing 20mm of rear travel. If you don't need 170mm travel then the Sentinel is an amazing bike.

Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 1:01 Quote
Most of that added weight is in components though, so it is possible to get the spires weight down. The frame is only 250g heavier than the sentinel, no doubt much if the difference comes from the 38 rather than the 36 (comparing xt builds of both on transitions site). It’s real shame Rockshox don’t make the new Lyrik in a 170 though, that would be an easy win.

Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 6:32 Quote
Lol …. Light enduro bikes. Sounds like a great way to walk or metavac down the mountain.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 7:04 Quote
jloosener wrote:
luckyguy19 wrote:

The Sentinel is definitely more an allrounder but if you actually use your spire for what it's capable of you will be disappointed. You can make up for the Spire's portliness with better fitness, but there's no replacement for losing 20mm of rear travel. If you don't need 170mm travel then the Sentinel is an amazing bike.

Actually I do quite a bit of park riding (Angel Fire) and shuttling. But I was thinking that the Sentinel will still be a decent bike for those activities.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011253
Mobile Version of Website