Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Most of that added weight is in components though, so it is possible to get the spires weight down. The frame is only 250g heavier than the sentinel, no doubt much if the difference comes from the 38 rather than the 36 (comparing xt builds of both on transitions site). It’s real shame Rockshox don’t make the new Lyrik in a 170 though, that would be an easy win.

I have ditched the Fox Factory suspension on my Spire. Currently running a 23 Zeb Ultimate and Fox Float X Elite. If I kept the Spire I would purchase a 23 Super Deluxe Ultimate. I've also got a 23 Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil that I run on the Spire when I go to the bike park. Even with the Float X, it does not feel like the Spire has as much of a pedaling platform as the Sentinel.

Posted: Jan 1, 2023 at 3:42 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
jloosener wrote:
luckyguy19 wrote:
I've been pedaling around my Carbon Spire XT for over a year now and have really enjoyed the bike. But I rode a friends brand new 2023 Sentinel GX build, I'm really surprised how much lighter it felt and how much better it pedaled. Our bikes had the same shocks (Float X). I originally bought the Spire thinking I'd eventually get a shorter travel trail bike for most of the riding I do. But I have too many two wheeled toys in the garage already, and need to stick to one acoustic mountain bike. The Sentinel feels like a much better all around bike, looking forward to getting one here soon.

The Sentinel is definitely more an allrounder but if you actually use your spire for what it's capable of you will be disappointed. You can make up for the Spire's portliness with better fitness, but there's no replacement for losing 20mm of rear travel. If you don't need 170mm travel then the Sentinel is an amazing bike.

Actually I do quite a bit of park riding (Angel Fire) and shuttling. But I was thinking that the Sentinel will still be a decent bike for those activities.

Stick a good coil on the Senti and it transforms the bike. My issue with the bike was that the rear end was always a bit nervous and the relatively low weight made the bike not as planted. When I put a 38 with a coil shock, it transformed the bike!

Posted: Jan 1, 2023 at 4:56 Quote
I’m not a huge feature park rider but I do some small ish jumps and drops up to 3 or 4 feet or so I’d say. Mostly Bike Park Wales reds and some blacks, and some other smaller park stuff in the uk (dirt farm wales / Windhill Bike Park / Rogate Bike Park etc).

The Sentinel laps it up - would be capable of far more than I can do / have the bottle to do. 160mm Lyrik and 155mm travel cascade link / Kitsuma coil.

If you wanted it burlier than a Zeb or something perhaps up front would help. Although I have the alloy sentinel and it feels very solid. Perhaps the carbon one might feel less planted as it’s a few lbs lighter I believe.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 14:03 Quote
hey, question.. would a 38mm fork be overkill for the sentinel..?? asking for a friend

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 14:45 Quote
neorider wrote:
hey, question.. would a 38mm fork be overkill for the sentinel..?? asking for a friend

I don’t think it would be no. Personally I’m on a 2021 Lyrik ultimate and weigh between 75-80kgs kitted up and don’t feel the fork flex at all at 160mm travel. But I have a few mates who have gone from a lyrik to either a Zeb or 38 and claim it’s a decent improvement in suspension performance.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 15:40 Quote
neorider wrote:

I have a zeb and love it. It doesn’t feel overkill to me.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 21:33 Quote
neorider wrote:

I run a 38 @ 170 on my Sentinel and love it for the riding that I do, but so much depends on your riding style and the trails you ride.

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 0:24 Quote
neorider wrote:

I have a friend who weighs around 175 pounds and he swapped to a Zeb a year or two ago from a Lyrik on his Sentinel V2. He’s not that happy, says it’s too heavy and too stiff. The stiffer is better mantra isn’t always true. Sam Dale came 6th at Innerleithen EWS this year on a 160mm Lyrik.

I guess it depends on your weight, riding style etc, but it’s a shame the new Lyrik doesn’t go up to 170mm.

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 0:28 Quote
*also might be worth trying 31.8 bars if you do go for the Zeb. I personally run 31.8 as 35 send my hands to sleep.

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 1:52 Quote
I run a 38 at 160 and it’s great. Don’t notice the weight and it’s a brilliant fork. Is it overkill? Probably, but then I need all the help I can get!!

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 3:41 Quote
I also changed forks recently but from a fox 36 to a second hand ohlins 36 m.2 coil.

I haven’t ridden a 38mm fork but I can tell you that the coil spring makes a massive difference that I appreciate every time I ride the bike. It weighs 200g more than my fox 36 so about the same as an air sprung 38 fork and in my opinion performs hugely better than the fork it replaced.

After selling my fox it has cost me about £100 to swap plus the price of a damper service which I needed anyway.

Maybe that’s another option if you can find one? It’ll probably need to be second hand though as they’re not currently selling the coil version due to supply issues.

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 6:38 Quote
Just got my warranty V2 front triangle, is there any internal routing for the dropper cable to get it up the seat tube, hopefully I haven’t jumped the gun fitting the bb.

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 8:31 Quote
I’ve also notice my seat clamp has stretched a little, what aftermarket clamps are people using and what size, TR say 37mm which seem rare.

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
trialstars wrote:
I’ve also notice my seat clamp has stretched a little, what aftermarket clamps are people using and what size, TR say 37mm which seem rare.

I use the Thomson one. quality as usual!

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 17:34 Quote
trialstars wrote:
Just got my warranty V2 front triangle, is there any internal routing for the dropper cable to get it up the seat tube, hopefully I haven’t jumped the gun fitting the bb.

There’s no internal dropper tube, so use some foam tubing to keep the rattling cable quiet.

Also, my post kept slipping so i replaced the clamp with a Thomson 36.## which solved the issue.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011121
Mobile Version of Website