Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
O+
Posted: May 18, 2020 at 22:41 Quote
EKrum wrote:
Does anyone know if removing the travel limiter on a float X2 is something that can be done without special tools. I would like to get the cascade link and wondering how easy it is to bump up the travel?

Hard to tell from the order of operations, but its shown on step 31 in their teardown manual. No way in hell I'm trying.. https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=978

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
So I've read the reviews but would like some personal experience. I currently have a 140/130 xc/trail bike that I use on my everyday trails so I'm looking to add something that's happy for long climbs/descents, bike park days, rowdier terrain. The Sentinel Carbon is on the short list but some reports I've read is that it's not fun unless you're going fast. Going off the wheelbase and head angle it seems like this is the case. Just wondering if you folks can speak to the fun factor on the Sentinel when you're on less steep trails or going slower?

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
I would not get a sentinel if I knew I was using it primarily at slower speeds and less steep trails. You certainly can have fun with it, but there are other bikes better suited for that. The smuggler is designed for that terrain but still can get super rowdy for one or two days of bike park a year. Sentinel is best if you truly need a do everything bike and if you see steeps and rough somewhat often. If you do everything does not include "the gnar" I would look for something lighter and smaller.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
I second the smuggler recommendation. i'll have an alloy smuggler for sale soon if you're interested in getting a complete bike for less than the cost of a carbon frame :-)

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
Cool, thanks fellas. I guess my conundrum is that on the trails I know will be mostly mellow I'll be on my Pyga Stage Max (140/130, 66.5 hta, 450mm reach, shorter wheelbase). That being said if I'm traveling and hitting more varied terrain I'm wanting something a little more versatile. It seems that the Sentinel too far on the other end of the spectrum according too you all though.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
There's far too much overlap between a Smuggler and a Stage Max, for my taste. Even if you were to replace the Stage Max, I might still hesitate to recommend the Smuggler due to the interest in DH parks, but since you're looking to add a bike, the Smuggler is far too similar. The Sentinel is a far better choice to add to the Stage Max.

It's true the Sentinel and bikes like it are out of their element on slow or mellow trails, but there's no point getting two nearly identical bikes.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
Anyone know the largest bottle you can fit in the front triangle? 22, 26, bigger?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
photo

So I pulled the plug and finally bought the super deluxe coil ultimate. I'm about 13 stone / 82.5kgs / 180lbs, so went for a 500lb spring which gets me about 25% sag. Only been for a quick spin in the park, going for a ride in more anger tomorrow. I think I'm between springs if I'm honest, but I reckon I'd be blowing through the 450lbs way too easy. Cascade link and the 450lb spring might be the ticket though. Very glad I didnt go for the Lyrik in red now, would've been a bit too much!

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone know the largest bottle you can fit in the front triangle? 22, 26, bigger?

550ml fits easy on mine, haven't gone any bigger though

O+
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
There is a new high flow valve available for the Super Deluxe. I suspect it will be a great upgrade for the Sentinel. I will do mine when the Cascade link arrives.

oatkinso wrote:
photo

So I pulled the plug and finally bought the super deluxe coil ultimate. I'm about 13 stone/ 82.5 / 180lbs, so went for a 500lb spring which gets me about 25% sag. Only been for a quick spin in the park, going for a ride in more anger tomorrow. I think I'm between springs if I'm honest, but I reckon I'd be blowing through the 450lbs way too easy. Cascade link and the 450lb spring might be the ticket though. Very glad I didnt go for the Lyrik in red now, would've been a bit too much!

O+
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

550ml fits easy on mine, haven't gone any bigger though

awesome thanks!

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
photo

So I pulled the plug and finally bought the super deluxe coil ultimate. I'm about 13 stone / 82.5kgs / 180lbs, so went for a 500lb spring which gets me about 25% sag. Only been for a quick spin in the park, going for a ride in more anger tomorrow. I think I'm between springs if I'm honest, but I reckon I'd be blowing through the 450lbs way too easy. Cascade link and the 450lb spring might be the ticket though. Very glad I didnt go for the Lyrik in red now, would've been a bit too much!

How does it ride? I am also considering a Lyrik & Super Deluxe Coil.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
yeah good @gpgalanis, I rode a few local trails that I ride regularly and got a few PR's, but seeing as this purchase has coincided with Strava removing nearly all of its free functionality I can't see by how much. Going by feeling I'm pretty sure I need to go down to a 450lb spring, I had to back the rebound off quite a lot and as I said previously I'm only getting about 25% sag. Definitely more traction, but then again its hardly rained in 2 months and the last time I rode mtb properly was pre-lockdown; winter was sopping wet over here.

So all in all its positive, just need to hone it now. Lyrik is great too.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
Hello,

I am thinking about getting the 2020 Transition sentinel (L), and wondering what size coil I should run. This would be the first time I would be running a coil. I am 135lbs and 13 years old, I like a plush feel. Any input is welcome, thank you.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:

I just put a 800 ml bottle in mine, front loading cage on an XL frame. sideloading i might fit 1000 ml

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013920
Mobile Version of Website