Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
fentonb wrote:
Hello,

I am thinking about getting the 2020 Transition sentinel (L), and wondering what size coil I should run. This would be the first time I would be running a coil. I am 135lbs and 13 years old, I like a plush feel. Any input is welcome, thank you.

By 2020, do you mean V1 Sentinel?
Did you decide which coil shock you are going to get for it?
The spring rate will depend not only on your weight, but also on the brand of the shock and whether its for a V1 or V2 frame.

Also, contact Transition and they will steer you in the right direction.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
Luneec wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone know the largest bottle you can fit in the front triangle? 22, 26, bigger?

I just put a 800 ml bottle in mine, front loading cage on an XL frame. sideloading i might fit 1000 ml

Sweet! More water on the bike the better. Which bottle and cage are you running?

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 3:53 Quote
It looks like a few people have the Cascade link on pre-order, me included. Does anyone have an idea on timing? And any lucky sods with friends in high places ridden one yet? I literally just bought a DVO Jade X coil for my Sentinel V1 so it'll be interesting to see whether the extra progression negates the need for a progressive spring.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 4:35 Quote
I’m pretty sure cascade said you will not need a progressive coil. Check the thread at Mtbr, I think it’s there.
Can’t wait for mine too. Raw links are supposed to ship this week and anodized links soon.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
I was looking into a Intend Hover shock for the Sentinel V1 but i was told it won't fit because the reservoir hits the downtube on full compression,so i will be looking to other options or i will use the stock fox dpx2 shock.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
fantaman wrote:
I was looking into a Intend Hover shock for the Sentinel V1 but i was told it won't fit because the reservoir hits the downtube on full compression,so i will be looking to other options or i will use the stock fox dpx2 shock.

In my opinion the DVO Topaz is a good upgrade over the DPX-2, unless maybe you have that shock custom tuned to you. Just a thought as (IMO) it's a better shock than the DPX and it's a less expensive option than something like an X2.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
fantaman wrote:

In my opinion the DVO Topaz is a good upgrade over the DPX-2, unless maybe you have that shock custom tuned to you. Just a thought as (IMO) it's a better shock than the DPX and it's a less expensive option than something like an X2.

Any special compression tune you have to order for the topaz? I know fox has certain compression tunes (light, med, firm) that they spec on different bikes with different geo.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
Anyone got some time in on the v2? curious to hear thoughts, most of the reviews are from major mags/sites.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 2:09 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone got some time in on the v2? curious to hear thoughts, most of the reviews are from major mags/sites.

I had a full weekend on the Sentinel V2, and had some time on the V1 last year.

Hence, my impression is limited and very subjective but hoepfully my thoughts gonna help you.

I am 186 cm and had both bikes in L available.
Overall I would say that the V2 is more balanced than the V1 (uphill/downhill)

Uphill:
Was suprised that the steeper seat angle improved uphill feeling even more. I had no problem with even the steepest sections on my home trail. Only thing I would change on my bike is the saddle.

Downhill:
The feeling heading downhill improved a lot in my eyes, especially because geometry changed a bit in my favor. I have longer legs so I appreciate slighty more stack to get a more relaxed position for my back. But this might only be an issue for people having long legs like me (92 cm inseam).
Generally, you realize immediatly the slacker head angle and how it enhances your safety perception on the trail. I already appreciated this stability with the V1 but with the V2 this feeling intensified. I did not have enough time to figure out the cause for this better feeling, but personally I liked a lot that the rear has now 150mm. Despite being described in a lot of tests as speed focused (which is true for sure), I did not miss any versatility or playfulnes on the trail.

Overall I could obtain a very positive impression.
I hope this answers your question partiallyWink

Best

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:

I'm still sorting it out, and I didn't try the v1, but in comparison to my Capra 29 and 2017 Slayer:

Climbs great. I'm getting farther up the impossible sections on the regular, without having to get super amped up. Front wheel is just easier to keep on the ground and pointed where you need it, even with the insanely slack head angle. Pedaling feels reasonably efficient.

Descending, I'm still playing with the shock/fork (2021 36). Right now, I think the bike likes steeps a lot. I feel more comfortable on steeper trails than low angle trails because it's easier to keep traction on the front wheel. I want to keep playing with the fork/shock balance and bar height. Braking traction seems to be great. Less progressive than my Capra, which is great, because it makes tokens useable again. I'd like to try it with a coil some day.

Also, the bike just wants to run. Glad I have good brakes (and for all that traction), because I come into lots of sections faster than i'm used to.

Overall, it's the all 'rounder I was looking for: gets you there with less effort spent, Prefers the steeper stuff, lively but planted.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Edsev wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

I had a full weekend on the Sentinel V2, and had some time on the V1 last year.

Hence, my impression is limited and very subjective but hoepfully my thoughts gonna help you.

I am 186 cm and had both bikes in L available.
Overall I would say that the V2 is more balanced than the V1 (uphill/downhill)

Uphill:
Was suprised that the steeper seat angle improved uphill feeling even more. I had no problem with even the steepest sections on my home trail. Only thing I would change on my bike is the saddle.

Downhill:
The feeling heading downhill improved a lot in my eyes, especially because geometry changed a bit in my favor. I have longer legs so I appreciate slighty more stack to get a more relaxed position for my back. But this might only be an issue for people having long legs like me (92 cm inseam).
Generally, you realize immediatly the slacker head angle and how it enhances your safety perception on the trail. I already appreciated this stability with the V1 but with the V2 this feeling intensified. I did not have enough time to figure out the cause for this better feeling, but personally I liked a lot that the rear has now 150mm. Despite being described in a lot of tests as speed focused (which is true for sure), I did not miss any versatility or playfulnes on the trail.

Overall I could obtain a very positive impression.
I hope this answers your question partiallyWink

Best

I’m glad you commented on the stack height, because I have long legs too so looking forward to a more neutral position. I went for the XXL because I’m 6’7 with a 37” inseam.

You seem to agree that it’s a better all arounder, which is great to hear because that’s what I’m looking for.

How is it on more mellow trails? Dull and boring, or still fun?

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 14:01 Quote
supercollider wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

I'm still sorting it out, and I didn't try the v1, but in comparison to my Capra 29 and 2017 Slayer:

Climbs great. I'm getting farther up the impossible sections on the regular, without having to get super amped up. Front wheel is just easier to keep on the ground and pointed where you need it, even with the insanely slack head angle. Pedaling feels reasonably efficient.

Descending, I'm still playing with the shock/fork (2021 36). Right now, I think the bike likes steeps a lot. I feel more comfortable on steeper trails than low angle trails because it's easier to keep traction on the front wheel. I want to keep playing with the fork/shock balance and bar height. Braking traction seems to be great. Less progressive than my Capra, which is great, because it makes tokens useable again. I'd like to try it with a coil some day.

Also, the bike just wants to run. Glad I have good brakes (and for all that traction), because I come into lots of sections faster than i'm used to.

Overall, it's the all 'rounder I was looking for: gets you there with less effort spent, Prefers the steeper stuff, lively but planted.

How would you compare it to the capra 29 on not as steep sections? I’m coming from a capra 29, and it’s a bit dull on trails that aren’t straight down, so interested to hear your comparison! The rest of it sounds like it’s spot on

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
supercollider wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

How would you compare it to the capra 29 on not as steep sections? I’m coming from a capra 29, and it’s a bit dull on trails that aren’t straight down, so interested to hear your comparison! The rest of it sounds like it’s spot on

It doesn't do EVERYTHING better than the Capra, but it does most of the things I care about better.

Bike for bike, the SV2 is longer and slacker with longer chain stays, so it doesn't wrap tight corners or change directions as easily. BUT it's also more spry on the pedals and poppy, so you can bounce it a bit more. At the same time, it feels more stable in the rough to me. I think it uses its travel more efficiently.

I also ran my capra with a 160 rear, so it was more responsive. The 170 might be more gushy, not sure what you're running.

So: TV2 is more lively, but less nimble. Capra a bit more "agile" but less responsive. Hope that made sense.

I also had my Capra dialed for me and it took me the better part of a year. I was never happier with my Capra than right before I bought the sentinel, Ironically. I haven't had that time on the sentinel, and I'm already enjoying it.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
supercollider wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
supercollider wrote:

It doesn't do EVERYTHING better than the Capra, but it does most of the things I care about better.

Bike for bike, the SV2 is longer and slacker with longer chain stays, so it doesn't wrap tight corners or change directions as easily. BUT it's also more spry on the pedals and poppy, so you can bounce it a bit more. At the same time, it feels more stable in the rough to me. I think it uses its travel more efficiently.

I also ran my capra with a 160 rear, so it was more responsive. The 170 might be more gushy, not sure what you're running.

So: TV2 is more lively, but less nimble. Capra a bit more "agile" but less responsive. Hope that made sense.

I also had my Capra dialed for me and it took me the better part of a year. I was never happier with my Capra than right before I bought the sentinel, Ironically. I haven't had that time on the sentinel, and I'm already enjoying it.

Yep answers it perfectly! Thanks. I have the 2019 Capra so it’s 160/160. Looking forward to trying out the sentinel

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
ya'll are making it really hard not to sell my '19 patrol and pick up a new Sentinel.

has anyone reading made a similar switch?!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006695
Mobile Version of Website