Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
@vonbock - the DW Link is great, and it does climb well so I think there were some other things that contributed. For starters, the AF is a hefty little piglet. Nothing light about the frame, and my buddy did go with the NX build kit, so it’s even heavier. Hub engagement clearly wasn’t there like it was with the stans wheels that came on my sentinel, so the more technical portions like root rolls or where you’d need to stop a pedal to avoid a rock strike and start again suffered. These things with an added 5lbs of bike, and severe pedal bob lead us both to choose the sentinel over the ripmo on climbs. I had to stay below the 42T on the cassette so the pedal bob didn’t cause me to leave my spleen on the trail when lockout engaged. Without lockout, suspension felt better, but still not as poised uphill as the new sentinel

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
@vonbock - the DW Link is great, and it does climb well so I think there were some other things that contributed. For starters, the AF is a hefty little piglet. Nothing light about the frame, and my buddy did go with the NX build kit, so it’s even heavier. Hub engagement clearly wasn’t there like it was with the stans wheels that came on my sentinel, so the more technical portions like root rolls or where you’d need to stop a pedal to avoid a rock strike and start again suffered. These things with an added 5lbs of bike, and severe pedal bob lead us both to choose the sentinel over the ripmo on climbs. I had to stay below the 42T on the cassette so the pedal bob didn’t cause me to leave my spleen on the trail when lockout engaged. Without lockout, suspension felt better, but still not as poised uphill as the new sentinel

I've been on an XL RipmoAF for about a month and a half now. My setup is about 33.5 lbs (slx, carbon hoops, trail casing tires, topaz, lyrik) and it climbs as well as I need it to. I almost bought one of those v1 Sentinels that were recently on sale 20% on Tranny's site. I had a few rides on the Sentinel v1 and would say the RAF outclimbs it. Caveat is the way my RAF is setup vs a carbon GX Sent v1.

The stock RAF builds are heavy, especially the NX and the coil option. Climbing position and efficiency are still really good BUT I can totally feel that extra weight (I started w/ the Jade/Diamond combo at almost 34.5 lbs). The frame weighs about the same as alu offerings from Knolly and Banshee but less than alu frames from Kona and Transition and should outclimb all of them (i've ridden all except Banshee; the Prime v3 looks great but still has low anti squat).

Anyway the v1 Sentinel out descends the RAF imo and it sounds like that's only gotten better on the v2. For anyone in the $4-4.5k price bracket those are 2 good options, the slx RAF and the NX Sentinel v2. No question go Sentinel if you want the best descending bike in the travel bracket and that would be cool to see how the two climb against each other. And it's easier to eventually upgrade the parts on that NX Sv2 than to upgrade the frame on the slx RAF. I would assume (?) the slx RAF outclimbs that NX Sentinel but don't know.

But wait - the NX RipmoV2 carbon is about the same cost as the NX Sv2 so that would be a great comparison and just like the v1 of both bikes the Ibis probably gets the nod on the ups and tranny on the downs. It's great to hear that despite more travel and more slackage up front the v2 senti outclimbs the v1. Can't wait to line up a demo and hopefully that won't make me regret my RAF purchase.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
some great insights, @WasatchEnduro. I will say the Sentinel V1 in alloy climbs like a slug, and the new Ripmo AF climbs better in all aspects. I did have an opportunity to demo a carbon Sentinel V1 in X01 and it climbed much better than either alloy version i've had a chance to ride.

I'd love to see pinkbike do a direct comparison on the latest Sentinel V2 and the Ripmo V2 both in GX build kits. they're the same price, similar components, etc etc etc.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
some great insights, @WasatchEnduro. I will say the Sentinel V1 in alloy climbs like a slug, and the new Ripmo AF climbs better in all aspects. I did have an opportunity to demo a carbon Sentinel V1 in X01 and it climbed much better than either alloy version i've had a chance to ride.

I'd love to see pinkbike do a direct comparison on the latest Sentinel V2 and the Ripmo V2 both in GX build kits. they're the same price, similar components, etc etc etc.

Agreed - that would be a great comparison. Too many good bikes these days.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
@WasatchEnduro Great insight, thanks man! I too almost pulled the trigger on a V1 Carbon Sentinel when they were first discounted, but I figured that meant a new one was coming so I'm glad I held out. Definitely wish I could demo both the Ripmo V2 and Sentinel V2 to make my decision, but no one in my area even has them in stock let alone demos (SoCal).

@SquattiePippen Agreed! Lots of amazing bikes nowadays, but I think the new Sentinel and Ripmo are two of the best currently. Sentinel I'd definitely go GX build, but I think Ripmo I'd opt for SLX build with the Fox factory upgrades. Unfortunately we'll probably have to wait for the next "Bible of Bikes" to see a more in depth comparison of these two.

Cheers guys!

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
Hey Folks,
some questions concerning the Cascade link for Sentinel V1.
- Cascade says that there is no effect on geometry but on the position of the wheel at full compression. That means? The backwheel gets closer to my rear part? Smile Big difference?
- Does - or how far has - the link impact on pedal efficency?
- There seems to be some changes in how fast suspension is working on the beginning and at the end of travel. I really liked the way, my suspension acts with the regular link at hard landings/full compression when it moves back (rebound) rather slowly in these moments. That kind of gives me a good feeling, having more time somewhat staying in a low position without bouncing of the ground because rebound pushes me out too fast. This helps for instance when hitting jumps short, not loosing contact to ground when it gets steeper after that point. How will the Cascade link affect these situations?
- The black one seems to be sold out atm? When will it be available again?
Thank you!!
Oliver

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 4:27 Quote
The link does what they say it does, it ramps up resistance to bottom out of the rear shock. Most of the change in the link seems to be in the frame pivot point and the shock.... not a problem if you run the stock shock, might be a problem if you are running something else.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 6:46 Quote
I know that, thats what they write. But that anserws non of my questions.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
RolliRolltRund wrote:
Hey Folks,
some questions concerning the Cascade link for Sentinel V1.
- Cascade says that there is no effect on geometry but on the position of the wheel at full compression. That means? The backwheel gets closer to my rear part? Smile Big difference?
- Does - or how far has - the link impact on pedal efficency?
- There seems to be some changes in how fast suspension is working on the beginning and at the end of travel. I really liked the way, my suspension acts with the regular link at hard landings/full compression when it moves back (rebound) rather slowly in these moments. That kind of gives me a good feeling, having more time somewhat staying in a low position without bouncing of the ground because rebound pushes me out too fast. This helps for instance when hitting jumps short, not loosing contact to ground when it gets steeper after that point. How will the Cascade link affect these situations?
- The black one seems to be sold out atm? When will it be available again?
Thank you!!
Oliver

1st question: I haven't noticed a difference, but I am only running my shock stock (57.5). The link is bigger than the stock. the shock is pushed a little forward and the seat stays are pushed a little higher. I really don't think that you would notice a geometry change. You could email Cascade Components and ask them about the changes at full compression. They are very responsive.

2nd question: Since the shock has better small bump performance, I would assume that you might have a little more bob when pedaling. It would probably give you better traction on those short punchy climbs. Use the lockout on the longer climbs. I haven't noticed much of a difference.

3rd question: The CC link is noticeably better at big hits IMO. I never felt a hard bottom out and never felt as if the bike rebounded to fast. That is why you have adjustments. You might have to change the rebound and volume spacers to get the right setting for you. I have left everything stock, but changed my rebound. It seems to track the ground better and would probably do it even better with a coil shock. that is one of the main reasons I purchased the link for. I wanted the ability to use a coil shock.

Not sure if that helped any. Like I said before, CC is very responsive on their email. They will be able to answer your questions the best because they are the ones that designed the shock and did all the testing.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 21:15 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
Alright squad, went out for a ride on my sentinel v2 today and thought I’d chime in with my initial thoughts.

First, my TR background. I’ve spent a lot of time on a 2016 patrol alloy, and then a decent amount of time on a 2019 patrol carbon. I’ve also spent limited time on a 2018 smuggler alloy and 2019 sentinel alloy.

The new v2 just freaking rips! Sloppy conditions made for a unique first ride, but nearly everything about this bike is better than the bikes I listed above. Yes, I enjoyed descending more on the v2 than I did on either patrol. The get up & go on this bike is incredible and Once you let off the brakes, hang on because it’s party time!

Climbing was comfortable. 117% ;-) better than the v1 sentinel... especially going from an alloy to carbon. Rear wheel traction was superior on my patrol during climbs, but I had a coil on it and it was sloppy today so I’m sure there’s not an issue here. Tighter sections / corners were no problem once I figured out how to navigate the monster truck wheels.

The v2 isn’t a one trick shred sled anymore. She was finding all the fun lines, popping off little jibs, and floating through the corners. Can’t wait to get out for ride 2 in drier conditions.

I'll echo this review. Got my first ride in on my XXL V2 NX build yesterday. Coming from a 2019 XXL capra 29 AL. Both bikes are around the same weight (~33.5 lbs with pedals+tubeless).

The sentinel flat out rips. Was probably 1-2 min faster than my best (when i was in the best shape) on the fireroad climb at my local spot, and I haven't ridden for a week and a half. That, and I'm on the standard EXO+ assegai/dhr2 compared to trail tires on my capra, so probably even faster if the tires were equivalent. Downhill was way more playful than the capra, while being almost as planted in the chunk. Get up and go was crazy, felt way more snappy than any bike i've ridden (could be that this is my first carbon bike).

Also noticeable was how much smoother the shifting was. Capra was XT + e13 cassette, the NX build blew me away with how quiet it was. Although I do miss my oval ring, can definitely feel the dead spot with a round ring up front.

Overall couldn't be happier, and excited to get some more rides on it.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 14:25 Quote
Does anyone know the actual seat tube angle (not the effective one as shown in geometry) of the sentinel V1 alu 2019?
Size large and x-large Smile
Thanks!

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
RolliRolltRund wrote:
Does anyone know the actual seat tube angle (not the effective one as shown in geometry) of the sentinel V1 alu 2019?
Thanks!
My 2018 aluminum XL teeters between 71/72 degrees on my phone level

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
leadsledpaintrain wrote:
RolliRolltRund wrote:
Thanks!
My 2018 aluminum XL teeters between 71/72 degrees on my phone level
the actual one must be lower than the effective.
so less than 76,3 on the L or 75,8 on the XL

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 0:51 Quote
Not had much luck on the classifieds so thinking I would ask here.
Anybody have a spare rear shock they looking to part after upgrading. Ideally based in the UK and either a DPX2 or Super Deluxe. Please let me know what you have.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
Since everyone talking about coil on the sentinel I figured I'd share that I do have a custom tuned Ohlins ttx for a v1 sentinel for sale. Just upgraded to a v2 and am going to go the same route. Coil is game changing and blows my dpx2 and float x2 out if the water. Only selling to get a longer stroke version for the v2. Set up for a 175lb rider

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006506
Mobile Version of Website