Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 21:40 Quote
Anybody been able to fit a bash guard/ chain guide on? Given what this bike is made for it seems like a no brainer and I couldn’t figure out why they weren’t spec’d until I tried to put one on.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 6:23 Quote
tobes27 wrote:
Anybody been able to fit a bash guard/ chain guide on? Given what this bike is made for it seems like a no brainer and I couldn’t figure out why they weren’t spec’d until I tried to put one on.

I put a OneUp Bash Guide on mine. Fits fine. I ran the shifter cable to the outside of the guide (versus inside, between the guide and the frame) to prevent it from rubbing on the frame and just added a small zip tie to keep it in place.

Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 10:31 Quote
Hey guys, what's the torque spec for the rear axle on the carbon sentinel? It's not posted on their docs and mine came loose while riding yesterday.

Cheers

Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 11:54 Quote
dirtworks911 wrote:
Hey guys, what's the torque spec for the rear axle on the carbon sentinel? It's not posted on their docs and mine came loose while riding yesterday.

Cheers

It's printed on the axle itself.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0904/4132/products/transition_sentinel_carbon-17-Edit.jpg

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 10:06 Quote
tandan83 wrote:
tobes27 wrote:

I put a OneUp Bash Guide on mine. Fits fine. I ran the shifter cable to the outside of the guide (versus inside, between the guide and the frame) to prevent it from rubbing on the frame and just added a small zip tie to keep it in place.

Good call, thanks.

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 19:03 Quote
I have a Sentinel and have only ridden it 10-15 times and have noticed the paint chips really easy all the way down to metal. This isn't normal for a bike I paid as much as I did, I have a 2016 Transition Scout that has no problem's like this and a Cube Fritzz I ride park on and have for 3 years with no chips on whatsoever.
I got Transition to send out some repair paint but the little thing they sent exploded in the post, seems Transition would rather admit the paint is crap rather than actually do something about it.
Not impressed with Transition at all.
Also have a squeak from the rear shock area going over bumps, anyone else have this?

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 23:18 Quote
modjoe23 wrote:
I have a Sentinel and have only ridden it 10-15 times and have noticed the paint chips really easy all the way down to metal. This isn't normal for a bike I paid as much as I did, I have a 2016 Transition Scout that has no problem's like this and a Cube Fritzz I ride park on and have for 3 years with no chips on whatsoever.
I got Transition to send out some repair paint but the little thing they sent exploded in the post, seems Transition would rather admit the paint is crap rather than actually do something about it.
Not impressed with Transition at all.
Also have a squeak from the rear shock area going over bumps, anyone else have this?

I've put a couple hundred miles on mine so far and haven't had any issues with chipping paint. The only issue I've had is the rear derailleur bolt coming loose. I've thought about loctiting it but I always go though my bike every 2 or 3 rides to make sure everything is tight and clean.

Bummer to hear youre getting rid of it. I absolutely love the bike.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 17:02 Quote
modjoe23 wrote:

Mine squeaks as well. Haven't checked if the bottom bracket needs lube, but it seems like it's the shock. Does this mean it needs to be rebuilt?

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 17:07 Quote
crustpizza wrote:
modjoe23 wrote:

Mine squeaks as well. Haven't checked if the bottom bracket needs lube, but it seems like it's the shock. Does this mean it needs to be rebuilt?

My Scout used to do that too but it was from every contact point on the rear, needs to be taken apart, cleaned and relubed/greased.
Am going to drop mine off at the end of them month to be cleaned and checked over.

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 22:00 Quote
I’m thinking about getting a sentinel or a sb5.5. I originally had my heart set on the sentinel because it looked sick and I love the brand but, without ridding it before I buy one the geo numbers seam a little on the radical side to just buy one with out a test ride. I would normally ride a medium frame but the reach numbers put me at a small. Anyone else had to downsize? If so any information you could give me about the sizing and the bike?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 8:48 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
I’m thinking about getting a sentinel or a sb5.5. I originally had my heart set on the sentinel because it looked sick and I love the brand but, without ridding it before I buy one the geo numbers seam a little on the radical side to just buy one with out a test ride. I would normally ride a medium frame but the reach numbers put me at a small. Anyone else had to downsize? If so any information you could give me about the sizing and the bike?
Thanks

I have not ridden the SB5.5. However I have ridden the SB6, the Patrol, and the Sentinel so I feel like I can speak semi-intelligently about Yeti geo vs Transition geo.

The geo on the Transition is for sure different. IMO it is better. The pedaling position is more upright and comfortable and places you naturally in a better position while climbing. You don't need to slide around on the saddle, or bend forward at the waist nearly as much to keep the front end under control while climbing. On all three bikes, the MD was the correct size climbing for me (5'9", 32.5" inseam measured). However the longer reach on the Transitions feels much better descending, I have a lot more room to move around on the bike and it's much easier to stay in the right position descending.

FWIW my girlfriend is 5'7" 31"-ish inseam and rode MD Smuggler, Scout, and Patrol and felt all were the correct size.

So before you say "the medium Transition would be too big" consider WHY you think it's too big. If it's because you think you'd be too stretched out climbing... the steep seat angle counteracts that. The longer reach is a good thing when descending. Trust Transition's sizing chart - it's right on.

Rumor has it Yeti is replacing the SB5.5 with a new bike next year, and the geometry rumored looks suspiciously similar to Transition's.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 11:04 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks

I can't help you with a direct comparison but I came off a Carbine and at first the Sentinel's Geo felt weird especially while going around tight corners. I was snagging my rear wheel on rocks all over the place. But just like going from 27.5 to 29, within a week or so of riding I had adjusted and it hasn't held me back at all. I feel the sentinel really excels in the straights and steeps. It's crazy fast and stable.

There's a new yeti SB 5.5 coming out soon so if you're paying top dollar, you may want to wait to see what it has to offer in terms of greo.

I've seen photos and can say it has a steep seattube, 44mm offsets, and about a 65 head tube angle (for sure isn't 64 like the Sentinel)

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
thanks for the information. What builds did you guys get? I’m looking at the xo1 or gx has there been anything you would change about the spec?

Posted: Aug 25, 2018 at 6:49 Quote
Anyone have problems with dpx2 wallowing? Its as if it blows through initial travel and is only cought by the ramp up at the end of the travel. I'm running about 30% sag

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 12:12 Quote
I’m debating between the carbon gx and the alloy gx. I like the spec on the alloy better but the added weight is a bit much. How much of a difference does the 2.2 lbs make?
Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025907
Mobile Version of Website