Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 14:12 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
I’m debating between the carbon gx and the alloy gx. I like the spec on the alloy better but the added weight is a bit much. How much of a difference does the 2.2 lbs make?
Thanks

The alloy is a big HEAVY bike so I would go with the Carbon. Also the Code R brakes are garbage, I've ridden it 10-20 times and have had them bled 4 times and they are still crap.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 5:57 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
I’m debating between the carbon gx and the alloy gx. I like the spec on the alloy better but the added weight is a bit much. How much of a difference does the 2.2 lbs make?
Thanks

Depends on your riding. Frankly it slays downhill in Alu model which I have, eats up anything! However, you feel the weight on longer rides and whilst it's playful, lower weight would help it come to life a bit more.

All-round I would pick Carbon if choosing again.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 11:15 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks
I had the same internal debate. Ended up going aluminum because 2.2lbs is less than 10% the total weight, and also the frame is sprung weight. This is pure speculation, but you might get more performance for your extra $1000 with a baller wheel set.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 19:22 Quote
Anyone put a coil on there bike? I ended up going with the carbon can wait to see how it rides.

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 21:23 Quote
Just received mine!
photo

Posted: Sep 8, 2018 at 0:07 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Anyone put a coil on there bike? I ended up going with the carbon can wait to see how it rides.

2018 Transition Sentinel with the new Marzocch Z1 and custom Fox DHX2

I did. Had it on for several months and ended up going back to the DPX2 with the largest volume spacer. I ride hard and although the coil's initial suppleness was great, i was constantly bottoming out on even medium sized hits (with correct spring weight).

If all you're doing is trail riding it could be an option but the sentinel is way too linear to run a coil for enduro/DH/freeride in my opinion.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2018 at 7:33 Quote
Thanks, that’s what I thought might happen if you put a coil on it. That’s a sick build you have on it. Did you start with the frame or did you buy a complete bike and change parts?

Posted: Sep 8, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks, that’s what I thought might happen if you put a coil on it. That’s a sick build you have on it. Did you start with the frame or did you buy a complete bike and change parts?

I got a complete gx build but swapped the build kit with my previous bike to help my old frame to sell quicker.

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
Just got back from angel fire on the sentinel. 25% sag, .4 spacer and 4 fork tokens felt fast. Its quite a bike. Cornering on this thing is what was most surprising to me. So fast, all business, Love it.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
anyone having trouble with cable rattle on carbon sentinel?

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 11:44 Quote
Has anyone been able to put a 170mm dropper in a medium? There seems to be a lot of post showing on mine so I was wondering if I could get away with more drop.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 12:53 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Has anyone been able to put a 170mm dropper in a medium? There seems to be a lot of post showing on mine so I was wondering if I could get away with more drop.

I HAD a 170mm on mine, medium, originally but it was too high for me to pedal comfortably. The 1 reason I bought it was to get away with pushing more dropper post into the frame but its the same as the old bikes.

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 16:47 Quote
How many spacers Under the stem?
To get the best downhill performance?

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 20:28 Quote
threshold31 wrote:
How many spacers Under the stem?
To get the best downhill performance?

I ran 1 and it felt good. similar to 275 bike bar height

Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 4:28 Quote
Thks will try it tomorrow and let you know.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015131
Mobile Version of Website