Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:36 Quote
duffman1976 wrote:
As for brakes I much prefer the feel of the codes. Shimano brakes are too on/off feeling for me. I can get used to them but I’d rather not.

Last 2 bikes I had all fox factory suspension. This time I went GX and the RS stuff. Really like it so far. Lyrik feels really good off the top and very good mid stroke support. Plenty stuff as well. Took me a bit to get the rebound dialed in as I was used to fox. But once I got that set fork felt really nice. Impressed.

The on/off feeling of Shimano's is totally subjective but does have its advantages. Back when I had XTs I loved how I could brake late coming into corners and have immediate stopping power, but I always felt like I would lock up too frequently otherwise. I just built up my V2 with Hayes Dominions and honestly think they are some of the best brakes I have ever used. Amazing power and modulation.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
FJDan wrote:
duffman1976 wrote:
As for brakes I much prefer the feel of the codes. Shimano brakes are too on/off feeling for me. I can get used to them but I’d rather not.

Last 2 bikes I had all fox factory suspension. This time I went GX and the RS stuff. Really like it so far. Lyrik feels really good off the top and very good mid stroke support. Plenty stuff as well. Took me a bit to get the rebound dialed in as I was used to fox. But once I got that set fork felt really nice. Impressed.

The on/off feeling of Shimano's is totally subjective but does have its advantages. Back when I had XTs I loved how I could brake late coming into corners and have immediate stopping power, but I always felt like I would lock up too frequently otherwise. I just built up my V2 with Hayes Dominions and honestly think they are some of the best brakes I have ever used. Amazing power and modulation.

Yeah agreed about the XT's, theyve got a crazy amount of bite but as has been mentioned above the wandering bite point sucks. Apparently mineral oil thins out when it gets colder, could be one of the reasons. I went to Hope's for a while but i just couldnt get on with them, faffy bleeding, never felt right. Gone to Code RSC's after many years off sram/avid and theyve been great so far (8 months or so).

My advice would be to go with the sram/rs build then swap out the GX for XT drivetrain, put it on a hardtail if you're lucky enough to have one for the winter or sell it on. The new Lyriks are buttery smooth but with great support, ive been running mine without spacers all summer no issues. If i was living somewhere that was less loamy and more hardpack and rocks i mightve popped a token or a half token in there though. You should also go coil :-)

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 6:50 Quote
chazmann wrote:
squintyfox wrote:
Hey all, I'm a few weeks out from building up my V2 Sentinel (fingers crossed that shipping isn't delayed). Has anyone tried putting a 170mm Zeb or 38 on theirs? Keen to hear any ride reports/ see photos of anyone doing so.

There was a bike check with Hannah Bergeman somewhere recently, maybe Pinkbike, with a 170 Zeb.

I built up my V2 with a 170mm Fox 36. I figured I would eventually swap out the air shaft for a 160mm to bring the geo back to stock because I don't necessarily think I "need" the extra travel, but I haven't felt like I need to swap now since riding it. The bike climbs and rides so well that I'll likely keep it as is.

Worth mentioning that I have an XXL so the geometry isn't affected as much as it would be on a smaller frame.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
Thanks all for the feedback. Will likely get the GX build.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
Is any one running a Meg Neg air can on the V2 sentinel GX at all? Just curious if it would be a good upgrade? Also how is everyone getting on with the rear end, the suspension is way more supportive than I’m used to, I find that sometimes though I feel I may be lacking traction under braking? Any thoughts on improving rear end feel.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
scottziesman wrote:
Is any one running a Meg Neg air can on the V2 sentinel GX at all? Just curious if it would be a good upgrade? Also how is everyone getting on with the rear end, the suspension is way more supportive than I’m used to, I find that sometimes though I feel I may be lacking traction under braking? Any thoughts on improving rear end feel.

I have one but haven't put it on.. IDK if i will.. i emailed transition and they thought it wasn't needed. Also i have read some other posts about the megneg and how heavier riders dont get much benefit from it.. i weigh 200#s so im almost there lol. I probably wont put it on until i got some free time and am a little bored

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 20:21 Quote
I was thinking it might be a good winter project. I can’t imagine it making the bike feel worse, and it’s pretty minimal cost, so I think I may give it a go in the next couple months.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
Just picked this up last night - stoked to ride it.

2018 Transition Sentinel
27.5” WTB wheels
Maxxis Minion F/R
Enve handlebar
2019 Performance Series 36 FLOAT 29 170mm conversion
Fox Float X2
Level Ultimate brakes
Truvativ Descendant crankset
Box two cassette
Box two derailleur
XX1 chain gold
Absolutele oval chain ring
Rockshox 170mm dropper post
Shimano rotors
ODI Troy Lee grips
WTB saddle
OneUp Pedals

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
scottziesman wrote:
I was thinking it might be a good winter project. I can’t imagine it making the bike feel worse, and it’s pretty minimal cost, so I think I may give it a go in the next couple months.

I thought the megneg was to give more mid-stroke support? Not sure if that would play well with your train of thought that its too progressive

Im on the V2 with SD ult in the rear and I feel like the rear end is glued to the ground vs V1 with DPX2

Way less spikey with an almost bottomless fee- yet to bottom it out

What are your settings

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
ehfour wrote:
scottziesman wrote:

I thought the megneg was to give more mid-stroke support? Not sure if that would play well with your train of thought that its too progressive

Im on the V2 with SD ult in the rear and I feel like the rear end is glued to the ground vs V1 with DPX2

What are your settings

I've also been impressed by the feel of the SD Ultimate. Nice and plush and ramps up considerably at the end. I know I bottom it out but I've never felt it bottom.

Figured out my popping noise. Went through the pivots yesterday and they were all torqued to spec except for the main pivot. The main axle needed tightening and the bolt on the outside was barely finger tight. Did not have any loctite on it either like the torque spec manual suggests.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
duffman1976 wrote:
ehfour wrote:
scottziesman wrote:

What are your settings

I've also been impressed by the feel of the SD Ultimate. Nice and plush and ramps up considerably at the end. I know I bottom it out but I've never felt it bottom.

Figured out my popping noise. Went through the pivots yesterday and they were all torqued to spec except for the main pivot. The main axle needed tightening and the bolt on the outside was barely finger tight. Did not have any loctite on it either like the torque spec manual suggests.

Nice- glad to hear it was an easy fix

I found the samething, when doing a bolt check

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
xmaxonx wrote:

That frame looks brand new! Has it ever been ridden?
Solid build, but 27.5 wheels???

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
solar-evolution wrote:
xmaxonx wrote:

That frame looks brand new! Has it ever been ridden?
Solid build, but 27.5 wheels???

Pictures definitely made it look a little better. Some dings here and there, but that's mountain biking. I'm working on switching the wheels over to 29er set, but not sure if the Box Two will work with a SRAM setup. If not, I will sell it and just switch over to SRAM groupset.

Either way...stoked!

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
xmaxonx wrote:

Pictures definitely made it look a little better. Some dings here and there, but that's mountain biking. I'm working on switching the wheels over to 29er set, but not sure if the Box Two will work with a SRAM setup. If not, I will sell it and just switch over to SRAM groupset.

Either way...stoked!

Definitely a rad bike!
You're gonna get a lot of pedal strikes with 27.5's on there, be careful.
I can't advocated enough for the cascade components link, check it out.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
solar-evolution wrote:
xmaxonx wrote:

Either way...stoked!

Definitely a rad bike!
You're gonna get a lot of pedal strikes with 27.5's on there, be careful.
I can't advocated enough for the cascade components link, check it out.

I was looking at them last night - definitely on my list. Maybe for Christmas.

Local guy may trade me wheels, so that would be amazing! Already got a strike this morning when I rode to work.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009989
Mobile Version of Website