Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
ehfour wrote:
scottziesman wrote:
I was thinking it might be a good winter project. I can’t imagine it making the bike feel worse, and it’s pretty minimal cost, so I think I may give it a go in the next couple months.

I thought the megneg was to give more mid-stroke support? Not sure if that would play well with your train of thought that its too progressive

Im on the V2 with SD ult in the rear and I feel like the rear end is glued to the ground vs V1 with DPX2

Way less spikey with an almost bottomless fee- yet to bottom it out

What are your settings

I’m not sure it’s too progressive, I’m thinking that it’s too firm in the beginning stroke. I’m running two volume reducers about 160 psi and I weight about 180-185lbs. I usually run lsc wide open and have the rebound about in the middle, 5-7 clicks from full open. I think the mid stroke is good, but could have a bit more small bump compliance. The shock ramps up nice, it’s more the beginning stroke that I think I’d like to change.

I’ve been adding volume reducers and dropping pressure chasing the feeling I’m looking for. At about 150 psi I start to bottom too easily.

I feel like the bike could have used a higher starting leverage ratio, so maybe even more progressive than it currently is. Either that or the shock tune is maybe a bit too firm for my taste.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
I couldn’t agree more with this @scottziesman. I picked up a float x2 takeoff from a v2 and ran it yesterday and felt improvements over the super deluxe but need more time on trail to dial in the endless knobs on the float x2.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 20:21 Quote
Someone had to do it... :-)

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
scottziesman wrote:
ehfour wrote:
scottziesman wrote:
I was thinking it might be a good winter project. I can’t imagine it making the bike feel worse, and it’s pretty minimal cost, so I think I may give it a go in the next couple months.

I thought the megneg was to give more mid-stroke support? Not sure if that would play well with your train of thought that its too progressive

Im on the V2 with SD ult in the rear and I feel like the rear end is glued to the ground vs V1 with DPX2

Way less spikey with an almost bottomless fee- yet to bottom it out

What are your settings

I’m not sure it’s too progressive, I’m thinking that it’s too firm in the beginning stroke. I’m running two volume reducers about 160 psi and I weight about 180-185lbs. I usually run lsc wide open and have the rebound about in the middle, 5-7 clicks from full open. I think the mid stroke is good, but could have a bit more small bump compliance. The shock ramps up nice, it’s more the beginning stroke that I think I’d like to change.

I’ve been adding volume reducers and dropping pressure chasing the feeling I’m looking for. At about 150 psi I start to bottom too easily.

I feel like the bike could have used a higher starting leverage ratio, so maybe even more progressive than it currently is. Either that or the shock tune is maybe a bit too firm for my taste.

Interesting- we're around the same weight and we are running the same pressure and settings, only difference is I run lsc 2-3 clicks from open.

After some good advice from a local racer here, who has ridden heaps of TRs she suggested that our bikes should have been spec'd with a high-flow piston. Which removes the firm beginning stroke and adds in bottom out resistance

All in all- its $35 plus the cost of full service at Fluid Function.

Something to consider vs shelling out for a new rear shock- Good luck

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
@ehfour Thats interesting advice, it seems spot on. In regards to the clicking and knocking coming from the Super Deluxe on the Sentinel, like what @mikekazimer described in his initial review, apparently when the shock is sent in to @rockshox for warranty, part of the service is installing a high flow piston.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
eriv wrote:
@ehfour Thats interesting advice, it seems spot on. In regards to the clicking and knocking coming from the Super Deluxe on the Sentinel, like what @mikekazimer described in his initial review, apparently when the shock is sent in to @rockshox for warranty, part of the service is installing a high flow piston.

Nice! That's good confirmation to hear- did he state that somewhere in his review? or do you have first hand knowledge of that?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
eriv wrote:
@ehfour Thats interesting advice, it seems spot on. In regards to the clicking and knocking coming from the Super Deluxe on the Sentinel, like what @mikekazimer described in his initial review, apparently when the shock is sent in to @rockshox for warranty, part of the service is instaling a high flow piston.

since majority of our super deluxe came with wrong piston spec, Id be curious if we can send in for warranty claim to get the high flow piston put on.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
ehfour wrote:
eriv wrote:

Nice! That's good confirmation to hear- did he state that somewhere in his review? or do you have first hand knowledge of that?

TR also mentioned this to me in their chat so I can confirm the high flow piston not being put on the early v2s with the super deluxe. It sounds like it was intended from factory and that didn’t happen. Im going to contact LBS today and try for a warranty claim and get the proper piston in this shock. Will report back!

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
eriv wrote:
@ehfour Thats interesting advice, it seems spot on. In regards to the clicking and knocking coming from the Super Deluxe on the Sentinel, like what @mikekazimer described in his initial review, apparently when the shock is sent in to @rockshox for warranty, part of the service is instaling a high flow piston.

since majority of our super deluxe came with wrong piston spec, Id be curious if we can send in for warranty claim to get the high flow piston put on.

Thats where my head goes too, IDK how R/S handles those types of warranty items. Does TR need to admit it was there fault? Does RS need to admit it?

When I chatted with David at TR- he brushed me off like I was smoking crack

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
ehfour wrote:
eriv wrote:

TR also mentioned this to me in their chat so I can confirm the high flow piston not being put on the early v2s with the super deluxe. It sounds like it was intended from factory and that didn’t happen. Im going to contact LBS today and try for a warranty claim and get the proper piston in this shock. Will report back!

Nice!

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
I always ask myself why I screenshot important convo, email, etc... and this is why! Should be enough to get a warranty claim going, and Parker calls out the piston issue directly. Sorry Parker & TR, you’re amazing at your job and this puts TR on blast, but us early adopters not having the correct piston in our shocks needs to be rectified.

Also I realize TR isn’t admitting fault in this email, or even saying shocks should’ve come with the high flow piston but does state the frame doesn’t play well with early shock pistons.

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
ehfour wrote:
eriv wrote:

Mike, in his review, just acknowledges the sound and states that TR says you can contact them if you believe your shock has the sounds coming from it.

I have first hand knowledge that this is definitely happing with my shock, but not with sending it in or talking to Rockshox or TR yet. But, I have spoken to someone who had the shock issue, sent it in for warranty, and it came back with the high-flow piston. No more noise and apparently it feels more active too.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
I always ask myself why I screenshot important convo, email, etc... and this is why! Should be enough to get a warranty claim going, and Parker calls out the piston issue directly. Sorry Parker & TR, you’re amazing at your job and this puts TR on blast, but us early adopters not having the correct piston in our shocks needs to be rectified.

Also I realize TR isn’t admitting fault in this email, or even saying shocks should’ve come with the high flow piston but does state the frame doesn’t play well with early shock pistons.

photo

Is there a way to check if you have the high flow piston or not? I got my bike Aug 10th

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
Very interesting. I took delivery of my sentinel in early August. Haven't had any clunking and been happy with the performance of the SD on mine. I also don't have the oil weepage that I've seen on others so hopefully have the high flow piston already installed...

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 11:38 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:

photo

Is there a way to check if you have the high flow piston or not? I got my bike Aug 10th

@Branny- theres no way unless you take it apart

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017387
Mobile Version of Website