Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 0:32 Quote
Shouldn’t be too long for me now to get my V2 frame...(only been waiting for 6 months)...so any advice, any quirks, any tricks on building it, anything to be aware off?
Thanks in advance

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
i dont think there are any quirks.. maybe take a air token out of the fork? they come with two and i never even got close to bottoming out.

Id also wrap it in invisiframe or something asap as the paint chips easy.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
i dont think there are any quirks.. maybe take a air token out of the fork? they come with two and i never even got close to bottoming out.

Id also wrap it in invisiframe or something asap as the paint chips easy.

I’m not getting a full bike but a frame to build with new and old parts from a previous bike. Invisiframe ready to be applied already.
I usually always prefer to run a couple of spacers and lower the pressure, a couple clicks more of lsc, and I usually always reach full travel on every ride.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
New lyrik is really supportive so you don’t need to run as many spacers in it. Even the pros are running a 1/2 spacer or only 1. It comes with 2 installed.

If you are confident with invisframe install use a mixture of alcohol and water instead of soap and water. Sets up a lot faster. Cuts install time in half. The suggested ratio of water to alcohol is on the instruction sheet.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
I am sure this was debated before, I ve searched for it, but didn’t find it.

V1 owners with the stock Dpx2, what’s your psi? I ve read somewhere that your weight+ 40psi was a good starting base. Is this true?

I weight 185 and got 200psi.

Any help appreciated

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 6:03 Quote
Pyres wrote:

V1 owners with the stock Dpx2, what’s your psi? I ve read somewhere that your weight+ 40psi was a good starting base. Is this true?

Any help appreciated

I'm about 180lb and I think I was pushing 220-230psi with the largest volume spacer before I moved to coil. There's a lot of people saying you shouldnt be afraid to pump that shock up, but then you dont get much small bump sensitivity and sag will be minimal.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 8:20 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Pyres wrote:

Any help appreciated

I'm about 180lb and I think I was pushing 220-230psi with the largest volume spacer before I moved to coil. There's a lot of people saying you shouldnt be afraid to pump that shock up, but then you dont get much small bump sensitivity and sag will be minimal.

X2- Will add that LSC was 6-7 clicks from closed and rebound was 5 from closed

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
Kind of curious what everyone thinks about this. I have an order in on a 2021 Stumpjumper Evo Expert, but I noticed a couple good deals on a V1 Sentinel. Both bikes fill similar categories to me, just looking at the geo and the brands' intentions. How do you guys think the two bikes compare? I've read some conflicting things about the Sentinel V1. It seems a lot of guys describe it as less poppy and more geared towards plowing, but others describe it as a killer all around bike with a descending slant. I'm definitely looking for a 29er that's on the poppier side of things. Descending is a priority though. The aluminum version looks great too, but I'm a bit worried about the weight (34-35 lbs). I'm not a weight weenie, but that's a lot. I think the SJ Evo is around 31?

The spec on both bikes is nearly identical, with just a few differences. However the alloy Sentinel V1 is $1,100 cheaper. The SJ Evo has a ton of adjustability and extra features though, and a lifetime warranty (not sure if the V1 is covered by the new lifetime warranty, I'd guess not?) So, for an all mountain bike with a descending focus but that can still be fun on trail rides, what do you guys think? I figured this is the best place to get some opinions on the Sentinel V1.

Unfortunately the Sentinel V2 is out of stock with no timeline for restocking...

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
Flugel94 wrote:
Kind of curious what everyone thinks about this. I have an order in on a 2021 Stumpjumper Evo Expert, but I noticed a couple good deals on a V1 Sentinel. Both bikes fill similar categories to me, just looking at the geo and the brands' intentions. How do you guys think the two bikes compare? I've read some conflicting things about the Sentinel V1. It seems a lot of guys describe it as less poppy and more geared towards plowing, but others describe it as a killer all around bike with a descending slant. I'm definitely looking for a 29er that's on the poppier side of things. Descending is a priority though. The aluminum version looks great too, but I'm a bit worried about the weight (34-35 lbs). I'm not a weight weenie, but that's a lot. I think the SJ Evo is around 31?

The spec on both bikes is nearly identical, with just a few differences. However the alloy Sentinel V1 is $1,100 cheaper. The SJ Evo has a ton of adjustability and extra features though, and a lifetime warranty (not sure if the V1 is covered by the new lifetime warranty, I'd guess not?) So, for an all mountain bike with a descending focus but that can still be fun on trail rides, what do you guys think? I figured this is the best place to get some opinions on the Sentinel V1.

Unfortunately the Sentinel V2 is out of stock with no timeline for restocking...

I was in the market for an SJ Evo Expert too but ended up being too late an couldn't place an order anymore, I got lucky and grabbed the last Sentinel GX on Transition website.

So on paper the SJ is a far better bike, also most people with the Sentinel V1 are getting the Cascade link so this is an expense you should add right away. Do you have a date / guarantee for your SJ Evo ? Just saying but alot of people who ordered one are getting their order cancelled, bike shops took pre orders but Specialized can't keep up, rumors are they are sold out till 2022. So you might wanna double check that before it's too late and you can't get any of them.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 11:55 Quote
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
Flugel94 wrote:

I was in the market for an SJ Evo Expert too but ended up being too late an couldn't place an order anymore, I got lucky and grabbed the last Sentinel GX on Transition website.

So on paper the SJ is a far better bike, also most people with the Sentinel V1 are getting the Cascade link so this is an expense you should add right away. Do you have a date / guarantee for your SJ Evo ? Just saying but alot of people who ordered one are getting their order cancelled, bike shops took pre orders but Specialized can't keep up, rumors are they are sold out till 2022. So you might wanna double check that before it's too late and you can't get any of them.

Hmmm... First I've heard they were cancelling orders. I'll have to call the shop I ordered from. They said the order is set last time (a few weeks ago), and that it won't be here until March at the earliest and June/July at the latest. I spoke with the owner and he said they are a tier 1 Specialized dealer, so they get first dibs on available stock supposedly.

So, if it's guaranteed you think I should go with the Stumpjumper Evo then?

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
Don't think you can compare the V1 Sentinel to the 2021 Stumpy Evo as a fair comparison...the V2, you can since its lighter with updated geometry.

If I didn't order the V2 Sentinel 6 months ago (and waiting), the 2021 Stumpy Evo would be a strong contender for sure...however I much prefer the look of the Tranny and in the UK the Evo has a long lead time towards summer next year (at least)...a mate who works in a shop said is allowance from Spesh was, one bike only in S5 size and a spec...he can't even choose size or model! For reference, a mate of mine broke is Enduro S-works chainstays on a crash at the Mega and Spesh sent him a new rear end which shows good warranty and support from Spesh.

On another note, for everyone waiting for the next drop of V2's in the UK (supposed to arrive this week or next), due to a huge chaos at the port, the shipment has been directed to Belgium where it is now sat waiting in a long queue...

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 0:16 Quote
I ride a carbon v1, it’s not an old or obsolete bike by any means! Never in one million years I would sell it to get a Specialized!!

A Ripmo or a Wreckoning would get my attention

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Pyres wrote:

Any help appreciated

Thanks

It’s surprisingly high and I can’t avoid to think it will be a harsh ride, but to hell with it, I will try to increase it for a couple of rides!

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
Pyres wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
Pyres wrote:

Any help appreciated

Thanks

It’s surprisingly high and I can’t avoid to think it will be a harsh ride, but to hell with it, I will try to increase it for a couple of rides!

Yeah, the high psi is totally counterintuitive. But if you run more pressure and more volume (smaller spacer) you might find it better than low pressure and less volume.

Before cascade link I was running really high psi with a small volume spacer.
I was riding at 215 geared up and running 255-260 with a 0.4 volume spacer.
It was not as harsh on the small bumps as I was expecting.
I felt this set up worked best with the stock tune and link- for me at least. Not the best, but it did keep the bike from blowing through its travel.

With cascade link and custom tune I’m now at 240-245 psi, 0.6 spacer and about 18 mm sag. This set up has worked really well for me and I’m super happy with it.

Try the high pressure. Take a shock pump on your ride and see what happens.

Then order a cc link, lol.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
Tomorrow I ll try +20psi from what I m used to. Can not take the pump with me, I m a Euro enduro guy, so no backpack!

The Cc link is not very tempting...150/200€ would be more appealing to me ????

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.006651
Mobile Version of Website