Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 3:49 Quote
Hey, thinking about buying a Sentinel..
Struggeling a bit about the capabilities in big alpine descends. For my home trails it is perfect, but I also shred in the alps in summer..

Can someone describe how the feels changes with a coil? Loosing a lot of 'pop' ?
Someone can give an experience with the negmeg? rider weight under 80kg..
Someone finally running the 65mm stroke on a trail?

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
Looks like the new Cascade Components link is out for the V2. 165mm rear travel and higher initial leverage rate. This sounds pretty rad to me!

Already pre-ordered.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
I just got a sentinel (the grey nx build) I took it for my first ride today and oh man this thing is a blast!
right now I have just the standard nx build but I have a little bit of money (maybe a couple hundred max) that I can use to upgrade or I can save it for replacing parts. I've already ride wrapped it. Is there any upgrade I should really do right now or should I just wait till something breaks?

I ordered the same color/build back in September. Pretty much all the GX and XO1 builds were already sold out at the time. Other than ride wrap and handlebars, I don't plan on swapping anything until it breaks or I have a least a season of riding on it to make a decision!

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 23:58 Quote
SeaLegs26 wrote:
Dragonfly- wrote:
I just got a sentinel (the grey nx build) I took it for my first ride today and oh man this thing is a blast!
right now I have just the standard nx build but I have a little bit of money (maybe a couple hundred max) that I can use to upgrade or I can save it for replacing parts. I've already ride wrapped it. Is there any upgrade I should really do right now or should I just wait till something breaks?

I ordered the same color/build back in September. Pretty much all the GX and XO1 builds were already sold out at the time. Other than ride wrap and handlebars, I don't plan on swapping anything until it breaks or I have a least a season of riding on it to make a decision!

Ok I’ve got two medium length rides on it now and my verdict is this:
The suspension is pretty darn good and although I might get the upgrade damper for the lyrik it doesn’t feel like it needs it.
The code Rs are amazing coming from shimano 2 piston brakes
The bike itself is great but . . .
The drivetrain feels off. It’s not shifting cleanly and it skipping teeth and shifting when I don’t hit the shifter. I don’t think this is the nx system’s fault, because my last bike had an nx on it that was really good until I smashed up the hanger. It doesn’t feel quite as bad as my old bike did with a messed up hanger but it’s close. I haven’t had any crashes yet and I haven’t hit the derailleur while transporting the bike so I don’t know what the problem is. Im reluctant to take it back to the bike shop where I got it because they are a three hour drive from me and I do love the bike.
Ps I also added deity grips instead of the sensus ones.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:01 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
SeaLegs26 wrote:
Dragonfly- wrote:

Ok I’ve got two medium length rides on it now and my verdict is this:
The suspension is pretty darn good and although I might get the upgrade damper for the lyrik it doesn’t feel like it needs it.
The code Rs are amazing coming from shimano 2 piston brakes
The bike itself is great but . . .
The drivetrain feels off. It’s not shifting cleanly and it skipping teeth and shifting when I don’t hit the shifter. I don’t think this is the nx system’s fault, because my last bike had an nx on it that was really good until I smashed up the hanger. It doesn’t feel quite as bad as my old bike did with a messed up hanger but it’s close. I haven’t had any crashes yet and I haven’t hit the derailleur while transporting the bike so I don’t know what the problem is. Im reluctant to take it back to the bike shop where I got it because they are a three hour drive from me and I do love the bike.
Ps I also added deity grips instead of the sensus ones.

most shops will setup drivetrain without the bike weighted in the stand. use your barrel adjustment to dial in the cable tension while you're putzing around your neighborhood. if barrel adjustment doesn't solve your problem, then get out the red SRAM drivetrain guide and line it up better than the LBS did.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
scottziesman wrote:
Looks like the new Cascade Components link is out for the V2. 165mm rear travel and higher initial leverage rate. This sounds pretty rad to me!

Already pre-ordered.

Cascade link looks interesting.. IDK if i wanna bump up travel to 165.. then its more then the fork lol.. and if i do that id upgrade the fork to 170mm and want a 38 or zebb lol.. and it turned into a pretty expensive upgrade.

Also how much progression do you need!?

I will be looking forward to your ride report!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
scottziesman wrote:

Already pre-ordered.

Cascade link looks interesting.. IDK if i wanna bump up travel to 165.. then its more then the fork lol.. and if i do that id upgrade the fork to 170mm and want a 38 or zebb lol.. and it turned into a pretty expensive upgrade.

Could always use a 57.5mm stroke for 155mm of travel, or 60mm stroke for 160mm of travel.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
scottziesman wrote:

Already pre-ordered.

I’ll probably get a 170mm air shaft for the fork. I like the higher leverage rate at the beginning, I think it should make everything feel a little more plush. I think the link should take the sentinel from aggressive all arounder to enduro territory. I think if you favour a poppy bike the stock link is fine, but for more high speed chunk I think the cascade link will be nice.

Also I think it’s nice to have options, you could effectively find a travel range between 140 and 165 with a combination of shock strokes and links.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
I think the sentinel is already in the enduro territory. There are a lot of racers riding a bike with 150mm rear travel.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
scottziesman wrote:

Already pre-ordered.

Interested to see how folks like this. The frame is already pretty progressive, not sure if more is necessary

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
s3ntin3l wrote:
I think the sentinel is already in the enduro territory. There are a lot of racers riding a bike with 150mm rear travel.

It also uses its 150mm rear travel really well. I use all of the travel on pretty much every ride, but I have yet to feel a harsh bottom out.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
I think if you bought the V2 but feel the need for this link, maybe you bought the wrong bike!? With 165 rear surely you will need 170 (maybe even 180) front!? I wonder what it will do to all the geometry and Transition’s opinion on all of it? (I know they were ok with previous links).

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 11:26 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
I think if you bought the V2 but feel the need for this link, maybe you bought the wrong bike!? With 165 rear surely you will need 170 (maybe even 180) front!? I wonder what it will do to all the geometry and Transition’s opinion on all of it? (I know they were ok with previous links).

Static geometry remains the same with this link. BB would sit a little lower at sag then it would with the stock link since 30% sag at 165 is more than 150. You would probably want to change to a 170 air shaft in the fork. This would raise the BB back up a tad. Not sure of the exact numbers but doing all this would result in a slacker front end for sure with the longer fork.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
Yeah might as well get a Patrol...

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
Yeah might as well get a Patrol...
But the patrol isn't a 29er
I think the aim with the link is to make a 29r patrol.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006844
Mobile Version of Website