Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 2:12 Quote
This arrived yesterday, can't wait to get it built up! I have an invisiframe kit and I've finished wrapping the rear triangle but I don't think I'm going to put the rest of the kit on because it takes away from the paint job which I think looks amazing in real life.

I'm going to keep the rear triangle protection and I'd also like to have something on the underside of the downtube. I might try to trim the invisiframe downtube piece and use that still, but what are others using for downtube protectors?

Sentinel frame size L loam gold

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 2:40 Quote
appltn wrote:
This arrived yesterday, can't wait to get it built up! I have an invisiframe kit and I've finished wrapping the rear triangle but I don't think I'm going to put the rest of the kit on because it takes away from the paint job which I think looks amazing in real life.

I'm going to keep the rear triangle protection and I'd also like to have something on the underside of the downtube. I might try to trim the invisiframe downtube piece and use that still, but what are others using for downtube protectors?

I have a Rockguardz carbon protector...and looking at it now, i'm glad I did because it has some proper knocks.
The talk about the low BB, I guess depends on the type of trails people tend to ride. For me, the Sentinel is a low as I would want to go (i'm running 170 cranks).

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
I'm thinking of jumping from a V1 sentinel to a Spire. What gives me hesitation is the length of the reach. I'm 5'10" and the size L sentinel felt about as long as a needed. The Spire in the high setting (probably what I would use) has 10mm longer reach. I'm assuming few have actually ridden one, but what would get the handling closer to my sentinel? A size M or a L assuming both used a reach adjust headset?

Eric

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
EKrum wrote:
I'm thinking of jumping from a V1 sentinel to a Spire. What gives me hesitation is the length of the reach. I'm 5'10" and the size L sentinel felt about as long as a needed. The Spire in the high setting (probably what I would use) has 10mm longer reach. I'm assuming few have actually ridden one, but what would get the handling closer to my sentinel? A size M or a L assuming both used a reach adjust headset?

Eric

I think effective top tube may become a more important measurement in the future compared to reach. Reach is the distance from center of the bottom bracket to the stem essentially. Effective top tube is what you actually feel when the seat post is up. Looking at those numbers, the large Sentinel (V2) at least has a 613 ETT and the large Spire has a 605/608 ETT so in theory it should feel like a smaller bike. I couldn't tell you a difference if my bottom bracket was 10mm closer or 10mm further away.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
EKrum wrote:

Eric

I think effective top tube may become a more important measurement in the future compared to reach. Reach is the distance from center of the bottom bracket to the stem essentially. Effective top tube is what you actually feel when the seat post is up. Looking at those numbers, the large Sentinel (V2) at least has a 613 ETT and the large Spire has a 605/608 ETT so in theory it should feel like a smaller bike. I couldn't tell you a difference if my bottom bracket was 10mm closer or 10mm further away.

I would not focus on ETT for a mountain bike that you will ride primarily on singletrack. ETT is certainly important to ensure comfort on sustained seated road climbs, but isn't more important than any other measurement. Sure the bars will feel closer while seated on the Spire but when you're maneuvering the bike through singletrack the longer wheelbase, reach and chainstay will be much more noticeable

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
appltn wrote:

just so you know, I've heard people talking about the lack of durability of the paint on the new transitions. I personally don't mind the look of ridewrap, so I fully wrapped mine and I'm quite glad I did. The paint does feel maybe little flakier than that on alloy bikes I've had in the past. all mountain style and dyedbro are alternatives for just a down tube guard.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
just so you know, I've heard people talking about the lack of durability of the paint on the new transitions. I personally don't mind the look of ridewrap, so I fully wrapped mine and I'm quite glad I did. The paint does feel maybe little flakier than that on alloy bikes I've had in the past. all mountain style and dyedbro are alternatives for just a down tube guard.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve heard the same which is why I brought the kit initially. Maybe I need to get over it and just wrap the whole thing.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
EKrum wrote:

Eric

Looks like you should just run it in the low setting with the same number of spacers as you've currently got and it'll be gold ha

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 16:06 Quote
chazmann wrote:
I don’t understand the talk with the low BB in comparison, and that being an issue? The Sentinel sits right between the low and high settings on the Spire... or am I missing something?!

Im no rocket scientist but I believe the boys mentioned the fact that 30% on a 170mm travel vs 30% on 150mm. I'm sure it's not this simple but that's 51mm vs 45mm? I'm not sure the real math or logic here but it appears to be a talking point on the spire. I feel my V1 has always been great on all but the gnarliest bike park terrain and is most likely limited by the pilot.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
What’s everyone running on the V2 for a coil shock, stock linkage?

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
Jmr358 wrote:

Started with a superdeluxe coil, didn’t feel all that much better than the air shock. Went back to the air shock for awhile and now on a marzocchi bomber cr and like it a lot

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Jmr358 wrote:

Got any pictures with the bomber?

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
Jmr358 wrote:

I had a DHX2 on my V1 which I loved. Recently added the MegNeg air can on to the stock Super Deluxe and I really like the feel of it. Really close to the feeling of a coil.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
Got it built and out for a shakedown ride today. First impressions are very positive!

I read someone describe how they were overshooting landings their first time on a sentinel and I definitely had that experience too, it really boosts jumps nicely.

I thought I’d be looking to switch to a coil shock and I’m only one ride in but so far I’m really happy with the X2. Not sure if it’s the shock or the suspension design (probably both) but it has a really nice plush feel off the top and then a lot of pop off jumps too. I didn’t miss the Ohlins coil I’ve come from though I will say that today’s ride wasn’t particularly rowdy.

Another peasant surprise was climbing and traversing. I was sort of expecting some compromise here but I was very easy to spin up the hill and perfectly fine on flatter sections, it probably helps that the build is a little lighter and that I’m on that air shock.

The build was almost entirely with parts donated from my Jeffsy, I only needed a new BB, headset (they take the same size but I was running an angle adjust) and a new dropper (because the sentinel can take more drop). I weighed it at 14.8kg (32lbs 9oz) with pedals and a tannus insert in the back.

One thing I’m going to keep an eye on is pedal strikes - I’m running a 175mm crankset and I know they’re specced with 170mm. I’ll see how this goes - The Jeffsy actually has a slightly lower BB on paper so maybe I’m already used to it!

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
Blew up my X2 and Fox won't have warranty parts for a month, anyone want to unload their old shock? I'd take just about anything. (v2 sentinel)

edit: got a couple good leads to work with, thanks for the help!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010541
Mobile Version of Website