Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 17:50 Quote
xetal wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
watt95 wrote:
I'm curious as to why they gave the alloy version the Fox Float X Performance Elite instead of X2 Factory like the carbon version. The Spire has Factory X2 on both alloy and carbon.

Part availability maybe? How does the Float X compare to the X2 and DPX2? Seems its a more budget option? Since the alloy Sentinel is $200 less than an alloy Spire.

I asked to have the float x upgraded to x2 with my order and was refused. Also seems like there is alot of issues with the 2021 x2 blowing seals early. I can't confirm that tho.

Yes most people I know with the V2 had to send their X2 back to Fox for service due to the issue you've just pointed.

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
Hi guys.

Anyone running a progressive coil on their V1 Sentinel and have any feed back?

I'm currently running a bomber cr with a avalanche tune with a shock shape factor bottom out bumper. But i still find i'm bottoming out too easily, even around corners i find i'm too deep into the travel. I'm not the hardest of riders hitting the biggest drops either.

Thanks for any information and advice

Happy trails tup

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
ehfour wrote:
trialstars wrote:
Have you got a lot link to the frame V2 alloy frame set please? I’m in the uk and can’t find it.

Its on the transition site- if its not on yours yet- what information were you looking for?

I was interested in the price, I couldn’t find frame only.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
trialstars wrote:
ehfour wrote:
trialstars wrote:
Have you got a lot link to the frame V2 alloy frame set please? I’m in the uk and can’t find it.

Its on the transition site- if its not on yours yet- what information were you looking for?

Its $2099 USD for the alloy, surprised you aren't seeing it on the site.

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
trialstars wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Its $2099 USD for the alloy, surprised you aren't seeing it on the site.

No option to buy and no pricing, maybe because I’m in the uk or possibly as I’m using my iPhone.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 11:26 Quote
You can’t buy direct from transition in the uk, you’ll have to find one for sale via a local dealer.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Dealers.cfm

Here’s a spire at £2,199 (https://brink.uk/transition-spire-alloy-frame-2021) so it’s probably a fair guess that the Sentinel will be similar or a little lower as I think it comes with a float x rather than x2.

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 23:08 Quote
Hey guys so fairly settled on buying a carbon sentinel right now. Coming from a commencal meta am, it’s just a bit too much bike, kind of want a lighter, shorter slightly less steam roller bike. Fairly certain the sentinel ticks that box but just wondering how people that have them have found they ride, any problems, negatives? My meta is a medium and looking at a medium sentinel. Sentinel is around 20mm shorter so hoping it is a bit more nimble
Any advice appreciated

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
KoalaDesBois wrote:
Anyone riding a V2 sentinel has tried a carbon RM Altitude 2021 ?
I currently ride the sentinel but curious about the Altitude (sentinel was perfect for bike parks this summer but now, enduro time is coming and i am bit scared of its slack HT angle for tight stuff (south of France mainly).
If anyone can compare the 2 bikes ?

Hey, I currently own a Sentinel V2 and an alloy RM altitude A30. Technically the altitude is my wife’s bike, but we bought it so I could use it as a backup bike. I’m 178cm and ride a large sentinel, the altitude is a medium in order to accommodate my wife. The two bikes are very different. The sentinel is a more supportive climber, longer, slacker but not as plush. The sentinel feels like a trail bike with aggressive geo and a firm platform. It really needs steeps in order to feel at home, but is actually happy to ride anywhere, comes in around 33lbs.

The altitude has a super active feeling suspension design. It has tons of grip, the rear end of the bike just gets out of the way of obstacles. In tighter and off camber turns the altitude is the faster bike, it just holds its line so well. The geo makes sense as a race bike, but I wish it was slacker in the HT and steeper in the ST. The front end feels lower, which could be the size difference, but i think this helps with its cornering advantage. The alloy bike is a pig at 37lbs, I’d hope the carbon bike is way lighter, the climbing experience on the Rocky is way less energetic than the sentinel, much more bob and it feels like you are squatting into the suspension a bit more when climbing up steep stuff, where the sentinel puts your but in a much more forward position.

Summary:
-sentinel for high speed, straight line jumps, fall line descents etc. Has a firm supportive, some may say harsh at times suspension. All about the geo on the descents. The better climber.
-altitude for quickness in natural corners, a much more agile bike with tons of grip from a very active suspension design. Less poppy, more squishy, more comfortable, way heavier, and sluggish on the climbs in comparison.

I like the rear end feel of the altitude, if I could have that feeling with the geo and climbing ability of the sentinel it would be the perfect bike.

Posted: Oct 2, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
KoalaDesBois wrote:
Summary:
-sentinel for high speed, straight line jumps, fall line descents etc. Has a firm supportive, some may say harsh at times suspension. All about the geo on the descents. The better climber.
-altitude for quickness in natural corners, a much more agile bike with tons of grip from a very active suspension design. Less poppy, more squishy, more comfortable, way heavier, and sluggish on the climbs in comparison.

I like the rear end feel of the altitude, if I could have that feeling with the geo and climbing ability of the sentinel it would be the perfect bike.

I agree with this take on the sentinel in general, including the sometimes harsh suspension feeling -- if you want to put 350 bucks towards the problem, the cascade link made my V2 feel more like you describe the altitude. Have no complaints about the back end at all anymore.

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2021 at 19:49 Quote
scottziesman wrote:
KoalaDesBois wrote:
Anyone riding a V2 sentinel has tried a carbon RM Altitude 2021 ?
I currently ride the sentinel but curious about the Altitude (sentinel was perfect for bike parks this summer but now, enduro time is coming and i am bit scared of its slack HT angle for tight stuff (south of France mainly).
If anyone can compare the 2 bikes ?

Hey, I currently own a Sentinel V2 and an alloy RM altitude A30. Technically the altitude is my wife’s bike, but we bought it so I could use it as a backup bike. I’m 178cm and ride a large sentinel, the altitude is a medium in order to accommodate my wife. The two bikes are very different. The sentinel is a more supportive climber, longer, slacker but not as plush. The sentinel feels like a trail bike with aggressive geo and a firm platform. It really needs steeps in order to feel at home, but is actually happy to ride anywhere, comes in around 33lbs.

The altitude has a super active feeling suspension design. It has tons of grip, the rear end of the bike just gets out of the way of obstacles. In tighter and off camber turns the altitude is the faster bike, it just holds its line so well. The geo makes sense as a race bike, but I wish it was slacker in the HT and steeper in the ST. The front end feels lower, which could be the size difference, but i think this helps with its cornering advantage. The alloy bike is a pig at 37lbs, I’d hope the carbon bike is way lighter, the climbing experience on the Rocky is way less energetic than the sentinel, much more bob and it feels like you are squatting into the suspension a bit more when climbing up steep stuff, where the sentinel puts your but in a much more forward position.

Summary:

sounds like a coil on the sentinel is the way to go?

Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
Coming from an X2, Coil is the answer Wink Cool

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
KoalaDesBois wrote:
I agree with this take on the sentinel in general, including the sometimes harsh suspension feeling -- if you want to put 350 bucks towards the problem, the cascade link made my V2 feel more like you describe the altitude. Have no complaints about the back end at all anymore.

After the first season of riding I too got the cascade link for my V2, it did help the rear end feel a bit more supple. I also upped the fork to 170 at that point, so it’s now a bit more of an enduro bike. I’d be interested to try a coil, I think it would give me more of what I’m looking for.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
I wonder if the Spire gives the extra suppleness over the Sentinel.

Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
So I just committed and ordered the sentinel frame. I’m after something a bit more poppy and lively than my meta so it sounds like it should be alright! Be keen to get a coil for it at some point though

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
marksnook wrote:
So I just committed and ordered the sentinel frame. I’m after something a bit more poppy and lively than my meta so it sounds like it should be alright! Be keen to get a coil for it at some point though

Exactly the same here. The alloy Sentinel is on the way to me from Transition as i write this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013704
Mobile Version of Website