Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:24 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:
To all coil users, which spring rate do you use by which bodyweight in the v2 with original link.

I bought an EXT Storia V3 for my upcoming Al Frame built and chose a 425 and 450 spring with about 85kg / 187,4lbs kitted.

I tried several spring calclulators and all said for about 26% sag choose the 450 spring.

I have ridden several coil shocks in different bikes and always have choosen the 450 spring.

EXT rides a bit different than push, fox or RS. I'm your weight and run a 475 with middle of the road compression damping with mind blowing results. 450 is incredibly plush and would work great if you aren't jumping or hucking much. EXT USA recommended a 525 for bigger featured trails, but even the 500 just seemed overkill even on the biggest stuff I could find. I had the shock re-tuned this past winter and it's spot on. So much mid-stroke support and as always the hydraulic bottom out is magic.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
I’ll be in the corner sobbing uncontrollably.

V2, cascade link, medium frame, EXT with stock 62.5 stroke does not fit.

Seems like the new e-storia could be a better fit. I had the same issue on my old patrol with CC link and Storia at 65mm. Push reservoir orientation had plenty of clearance.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Thanks guys. Looking at replacement rear shock options since the X2 will inevitably blow up sooner or later, would any of these work? I assume the 205x60 would drop rear travel to 145ish?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3169363/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3064488/

Don’t rush to it. Mine has been fine and it feels awesome. People give up on them too quick I’d say. Coil looks cooler but I’m not convinced it’d ride that much better.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
kjbn wrote:

Finally finished building up this beauty! Swapped the Lyrik 160 with a Zeb Ultimate 170mm front and added a CC link with DHX at the back.

For the wheels we'll see if I keep the alloy DT EX1700/DT350 hubs or decide to break the bank for a WAO/Hydra set Smile

killer build! how's the Zeb?!

Does the dhx coil clear the frame with the cascade link?

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Uk/euro folk, just building my sentinel now. Which side of the head tube do you run your rear brake hose? It looks awkward on the left side and rubs if you go through the front triangle to the right side!

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
marksnook wrote:
Uk/euro folk, just building my sentinel now. Which side of the head tube do you run your rear brake hose? It looks awkward on the left side and rubs if you go through the front triangle to the right side!

I struggled with this exact thing. Ended up going to the left and taping it together with the shifter cable so it at least looks a bit neat.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
tbc wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Thanks guys. Looking at replacement rear shock options since the X2 will inevitably blow up sooner or later, would any of these work? I assume the 205x60 would drop rear travel to 145ish?

Don’t rush to it. Mine has been fine and it feels awesome. People give up on them too quick I’d say. Coil looks cooler but I’m not convinced it’d ride that much better.

How many miles are on yours? 2021 Kashima version?

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:
kjbn wrote:

Finally finished building up this beauty! Swapped the Lyrik 160 with a Zeb Ultimate 170mm front and added a CC link with DHX at the back.

For the wheels we'll see if I keep the alloy DT EX1700/DT350 hubs or decide to break the bank for a WAO/Hydra set Smile

It does on my XL frame.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
appltn wrote:
marksnook wrote:

I struggled with this exact thing. Ended up going to the left and taping it together with the shifter cable so it at least looks a bit neat.

Cheers dude, looked at it both ways and although awkward to the left is looking the best way

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
marksnook wrote:
appltn wrote:
marksnook wrote:

Cheers dude, looked at it both ways and although awkward to the left is looking the best way

Funnily enough I was looking at the buy/sell the other day and found this which is set up the other way so you can compare the photos.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3101778/

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
mtb-michl wrote:
To all coil users, which spring rate do you use by which bodyweight in the v2 with original link.

I bought an EXT Storia V3 for my upcoming Al Frame built and chose a 425 and 450 spring with about 85kg / 187,4lbs kitted.

I tried several spring calclulators and all said for about 26% sag choose the 450 spring.

I have ridden several coil shocks in different bikes and always have choosen the 450 spring.

EXT rides a bit different than push, fox or RS. I'm your weight and run a 475 with middle of the road compression damping with mind blowing results. 450 is incredibly plush and would work great if you aren't jumping or hucking much. EXT USA recommended a 525 for bigger featured trails, but even the 500 just seemed overkill even on the biggest stuff I could find. I had the shock re-tuned this past winter and it's spot on. So much mid-stroke support and as always the hydraulic bottom out is magic.

Thx for your answer, I mostly ride jump trails, If the 450 should be to soft, I think I'm going to try the adjustable sprindex 450-500, that should cover most of my riding.

But first I will give the 450 a go, maybe a bit more preload or HSC should also work, not the perfect solution to deal with a to soft spring, but I will see.

Finding the right spring rate is always depending on many parameters e.g. the trails you ride, your preferences (poppy or plush) and so on.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:
Muchogusto wrote:
mtb-michl wrote:

Thx for your answer, I mostly ride jump trails, If the 450 should be to soft, I think I'm going to try the adjustable sprindex 450-500, that should cover most of my riding.

But first I will give the 450 a go, maybe a bit more preload or HSC should also work, not the perfect solution to deal with a to soft spring, but I will see.

Finding the right spring rate is always depending on many parameters e.g. the trails you ride, your preferences (poppy or plush) and so on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tolerance for spring rates can be pretty sloppy. Sprindex is probably your best bet.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:
I’ll be in the corner sobbing uncontrollably.

V2, cascade link, medium frame, EXT with stock 62.5 stroke does not fit.

Seems like the new e-storia could be a better fit. I had the same issue on my old patrol with CC link and Storia at 65mm. Push reservoir orientation had plenty of clearance.

For sure. I originally ordered push and they don’t support their shocks with CC link and would be voided my warranty from the jump. I wasn’t willing to shell out $1300 and not have a warranty. EXT has been fantastic to deal with and they’re confident in getting me sorted to run their coil on my medium frame.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 0:03 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
tbc wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

How many miles are on yours? 2021 Kashima version?

Yea 2021 and I’ve had it six months. Ride a good 50 miles a week on it. I’ve had the older generation x2 and I think this one is a big improvement. Got it paired with a 38 and it feels awesome.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
kjbn wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
SquattiePippen wrote:

It does on my XL frame.

Cool thanks, I’ve got an XXL so should be fine

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009216
Mobile Version of Website