Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
evanwvt wrote:
I have a question for you. Riding the V2 Sentinel, medium, with the X2 and on my 4th warranty this summer. Fox has been good to rebuild but getting tired of blowing my shock every few weeks. Luckily I was able to get a loaner to keep me rolling.
What do you recommend? Go to the Super Deluxe Ultimate? Coil?

I've been riding the Super Deluxe Ultimate with the Meg Neg can and I'm really liking how it feels. Rode the straight up SDU for a couple of months which was decent, but it feels way more plush with the Meg Neg. I've got a DHX2 from my V1, but I need to rebuild it. Will be giving that a try shortly.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 16:32 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
How long is the reservoir on yours? From the center of the trunnion bolt.

Around 85mm long (3.3"), i see the dpx2 has the same reservoir length documented at fox.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
adrock-whistler wrote:
evanwvt wrote:
I have a question for you. Riding the V2 Sentinel, medium, with the X2 and on my 4th warranty this summer. Fox has been good to rebuild but getting tired of blowing my shock every few weeks. Luckily I was able to get a loaner to keep me rolling.

I've been riding the Super Deluxe Ultimate with the Meg Neg can and I'm really liking how it feels. Rode the straight up SDU for a couple of months which was decent, but it feels way more plush with the Meg Neg. I've got a DHX2 from my V1, but I need to rebuild it. Will be giving that a try shortly.

Did you have that SDU tuned for the Sentinel? Seeing some aftermarket and wondering what I need to do or not to make it ready for the Sentinel. Will also go Meg Neg right off.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
Nerding out designing stuff to 3d print lol

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Cheers for the review. Yeah it sounds pretty ideal for me, I loved the on/off feel of Shimano's but switched to code's due to the Shimano wandering bite point, sounds like the best of both worlds.

eatmoresnacks wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
unrelated question to Transition bikes but as you all own Transitions I know you're of sound mind....

Has anyone installed the new Cascade brake cams on a pair of code rsc's? Thoughts? Cheers

Yes, I own a Sentinel V2 and my wife has a Patrol. Those are my mind credentials.

I installed the cam on my rear Code RSC last week. The installation is a bit fiddly because you need to press a pin out of the lever itself. You can probably hack it with a vise but ideally, you should have an arbor press. So I now own an arbor press.

I really like the cam! There's less ability to modulate during light braking but in return you get the sharper, on-off bite that I was looking for. The braking power feels higher and I don't have to pull very hard to lock up the wheel. I haven't ridden any exceptionally long or steep descents since I installed it but I'm expecting that heat fade will be exactly the same. I guess you need to upgrade the calipers to make any impact on that.

I've been toying with the idea of leaving the front brake stock, because that's the wheel where I sometimes trail brake or modulate in slippery conditions. But I think I'll try it for a few rides and if I don't like it, I'll swap it back.

Overall, I'm pleased with the cam. For $37 for a pair, they're a cheap upgrade and worth a try.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Cheers for the review. Yeah it sounds pretty ideal for me, I loved the on/off feel of Shimano's but switched to code's due to the Shimano wandering bite point, sounds like the best of both worlds.

While on topic, for those on shimano stoppers, I fixed the wandering bite point on my saints using this tutorial:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/wandering-bite-point-shimano-405883

I may go to MTX pads from shimano metallics to get some more modulation. Anyone on MTX red or gold?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
oatkinso wrote:

While on topic, for those on shimano stoppers, I fixed the wandering bite point on my saints using this tutorial:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/wandering-bite-point-shimano-405883

I may go to MTX pads from shimano metallics to get some more modulation. Anyone on MTX red or gold?

I run the red mtx pads with 2mm galfer rotors. The pads wear out somewhat fast but the performance and silence is worth the trade off. I go through about 3 sets during riding season. Moving front pads to the back and new ones of front wheel.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
Bm1117 wrote:
I run the red mtx pads with 2mm galfer rotors. The pads wear out somewhat fast but the performance and silence is worth the trade off. I go through about 3 sets during riding season. Moving front pads to the back and new ones of front wheel.

Nice.. I may go with gold pads on galfers. How's the pad clearance on the thicker galfer rotors?

In my experience, the galfer one piece rotors have proven to be more reliable and less resistant to warping when compared to shimano icetech's (arrived out of true and don't keep shape very well following a true)

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
Muchogusto wrote:
Bm1117 wrote:

Nice.. I may go with gold pads on galfers. How's the pad clearance on the thicker galfer rotors?

In my experience, the galfer one piece rotors have proven to be more reliable and less resistant to warping when compared to shimano icetech's (arrived out of true and don't keep shape very well following a true)

No issue with the clearance. Big fan of the galfer rotors. it eliminated brake fade on long descents which is what I was after.

I run them on my codes, but my buddy has saints with galfer pads and rotors and they are the most dialed brakes I have ever used. They stop instantly. Even on the steepest runs you can lock those wheels up.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
evanwvt wrote:
adrock-whistler wrote:
evanwvt wrote:

Did you have that SDU tuned for the Sentinel? Seeing some aftermarket and wondering what I need to do or not to make it ready for the Sentinel. Will also go Meg Neg right off.

Ive got the GX build so the SDU is tuned for the Senti V2.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:

this is rad! let me know if you'd be willing to share your IGS or STL files. I can't design for shit, but have access to 3d printers and would love to try this out :-)

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

this is rad! let me know if you'd be willing to share your IGS or STL files. I can't design for shit, but have access to 3d printers and would love to try this out :-)

Let me test it out and I'll upload the STL to thingiverse. It's designed for a OneUp strap but could easily use velcro too.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
Im 6′2″

wich Sentinel size would you recomend?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
jonasron wrote:
Im 6′2″

I'd go XL. I'm 6'0 and I feel really good on an L.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
jonasron wrote:
Im 6′2″

L if you like to jump a lot and XL if you like to plow and smash.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008554
Mobile Version of Website