Octane One Prone...anybody have one?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Octane One Prone...anybody have one?
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 0:50 Quote
just waiting on a seat collar to finish my 27.5 build,mostly from parts i had laying about the place.

i am using my old Giant P-AM2 wheelset with a internal width of 24mm running DHRII and they have plenty of clearance on the rear.

ill put the full sec and pic up when its finished

FL
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
GLOB-2018 wrote:

I am building a 27.5 one up at the moment for my son.

I found the rear clearance at the chainstays on the tight side for our combo.
WTB i35 rims, tried a Bontrager SE4 in 2.4 and it fit but minimal clearance, settled on a 2.3 High Roller 2 which has more space and quite a square profile.
I also test fitted an HD in 2.35 (on the 27mm rims from my trail bike) and was a bit tighter than the HR2 on the wide rim.

Going with a DHF 2.5wt on some 150mm pikes upfront.

Will also look to get pic's next time I have it out

Alrighty then... Finally reporting back as the build nears completion.

Just did some measuring for a dropper post on the weekend, looks like 125mm will be just right for the little guy, and need to grab some valves & tape to finish the tubeless setup.

As mentioned earlier, the clearance in the rear is pretty tight at ~5mm either side of the rear tyre to the chain stays with the 2.3 HRII on a 35mm WTB rim.

Couple of pics...

Oliver with his new Stead almost ready to hit the trails
Oliver with his new Stead, almost ready to hit the trails!

Octane One Prone w 2.3 HRII on 35mm WTB Rear Wheel Clearance
Octane One Prone w/2.3 HRII on 35mm WTB Rear Wheel Clearance

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
its rideable i just need more $$$ to get the dropper,i might even steal the Hope Pro4's off my Reign and put them on

photo

Giant P-AM2 27.5 wheelset
Maxxis Minion DHF/DHRII
Deore cranks
32t oval absolute black chainring
11-42 sunrace cassette 10spd
N17 pedals
GX 10spd derailleur
X01 grip shift
Deore brakes icetech pads/203-180 rotors
Norco sight bars
50mm Giant stem
X-Fusion Sweep RL2 forks set to 140mm(160mm)
FSA headset
Raceface seat post....till i get a dropper
CrankBro's saddle

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
This is a great bike. I originally bought the large 29er and felt it was too big. After riding the large for a year I bought a medium 29er and it is the perfect size for me, I'm 6'1". I ride trails almost everyday during the week and also some paved bike trail occasionally. The Blue is the large and I've had it rigid and suspended. The red is the medium and currently have the fork set to 130mm. This is such a good frame for the price. Ordered both from CRC.

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
e2jankow wrote:
This is a great bike. I originally bought the large 29er and felt it was too big. After riding the large for a year I bought a medium 29er and it is the perfect size for me, I'm 6'1". I ride trails almost everyday during the week and also some paved bike trail occasionally. The Blue is the large and I've had it rigid and suspended. The red is the medium and currently have the fork set to 130mm. This is such a good frame for the price. Ordered both from CRC.

Im 6'1 as well. and the Medium fits perfectly

FL
Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 0:50 Quote
Lurch-ECD wrote:
Im 6'1 as well. and the Medium fits perfectly

I'm surprised you tall gentlemen found the large too big - or the medium just right...

I've been super impressed with the small 275 we built up for my son, wouldn't mind trying a 29'er for myself (@ 5'10").

PS. @e2jankow What chainstay protector have you got in there?

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-Chain-Stay-Pad-Black-Regular

One of those deals where it was cheaper to add it to get free shipping than pay for shipping.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
my buddy Neil has it and has been very happy with it

he wrote a review of it for this website here:
https://biketestreviews.com/octane-one-prone-29-frame-review/

there are few pics there as well

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 7:20 Quote
Hi guys, seeking help here. I am planning for a 29 prone now. I want to build it with a 2 by system upfront. However i am unsure if it fits a deore 2by crankset with 36-26T chainwheel. Anyone have done a prone with a 2by system?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
why not just do a budget 12 speed build? thats what I would do. using the sunrace cassette paired with nx components, it'll be cheaper than deore, quieter, more robust, and better looking.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
traqs wrote:
why not just do a budget 12 speed build? thats what I would do. using the sunrace cassette paired with nx components, it'll be cheaper than deore, quieter, more robust, and better looking.

Thanks for the idea Traqs. I did not think about a 12 speed or SRAM. I will consider that. I did a quick scan on SX, NX groupset, it looks reasonable.

I still have a niggling question if the Prone can be equipped with a front derailleur?

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
FazleOmar wrote:
traqs wrote:

Thanks for the idea Traqs. I did not think about a 12 speed or SRAM. I will consider that. I did a quick scan on SX, NX groupset, it looks reasonable.

I still have a niggling question if the Prone can be equipped with a front derailleur?

Should be able to mount one. I believe the seat tube o.d. is 34.9, so you will need a 34.9 fd.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 3:19 Quote
Thanks kwapik for your response.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 21:33 Quote
yeah if i were you, I would go 1x12, with the sunrace cassette, which is the cheapest, and really good looking, and I have one, and it works well.

Linked here:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Sunrace-CSMZ80-12-Speed-Cassette-Black-12-Speed-11-50-Shimano-HG?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WRCnfIvyzBNYOaUv63xVEwQWWbRKHuT55DPCkwqnzEseb6g6YIY1uEaAp9DEALw_wcB

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 23:06 Quote
traqs wrote:
yeah if i were you, I would go 1x12, with the sunrace cassette, which is the cheapest, and really good looking, and I have one, and it works well.

Linked here:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Sunrace-CSMZ80-12-Speed-Cassette-Black-12-Speed-11-50-Shimano-HG?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WRCnfIvyzBNYOaUv63xVEwQWWbRKHuT55DPCkwqnzEseb6g6YIY1uEaAp9DEALw_wcB

Thanks for the link Traqs. I will dig into it more on prices. I am in Asia, Singapore to be exact. My LBS confirmed that Shimanos tend to be higher priced here.

Anyway just to share, where i am, its mostly flats. There is only a couple of hills that i think the 50T wld benefit...haha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020207
Mobile Version of Website