2018 giant reign

PB Forum :: Giant
2018 giant reign
Posted: Apr 2, 2018 at 20:08 Quote
Geoff-Smith wrote:
parkourfan wrote:
Reign2018 wrote:
Hey does anyone know how to change the low and high speed compression on a yari fork (particularly because it doesn't have them) it would be great if i can cos when i get to the bottom of the hill my wrists feel like they are about to fall off so a want to be able to change it

They're factory set. I'm assuming you don't know how to reshim a fork. Lower the air pressure, add some bottomless tokens. Don't deathgrip the bar or brakes. There's no way a yari should be so horrible that you can't make it to the bottom of a hill without destroying your grip
Agreed. It's possible you have too much air pressure in the fork. Try adding some tokens. This will allow you to run a lower air pressure in the fork without worrying about bottoming out every 2 seconds.
as a matter of fact I am running lower pressure than what i should and stock tokens

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 at 21:56 Quote
Reign2018 wrote:
Geoff-Smith wrote:
parkourfan wrote:

They're factory set. I'm assuming you don't know how to reshim a fork. Lower the air pressure, add some bottomless tokens. Don't deathgrip the bar or brakes. There's no way a yari should be so horrible that you can't make it to the bottom of a hill without destroying your grip
Agreed. It's possible you have too much air pressure in the fork. Try adding some tokens. This will allow you to run a lower air pressure in the fork without worrying about bottoming out every 2 seconds.
as a matter of fact I am running lower pressure than what i should and stock tokens

When you run too low pressure and not enough tokens you will be riding way too low in your travel. This will mean that you are deeper into the compression damping at ride height. Effectively this kills the small bump sensitivity and plushness off the top making the fork always feel harsh and packed out.

Posted: Apr 3, 2018 at 22:09 Quote
machchicken wrote:
Reign2018 wrote:
Geoff-Smith wrote:

When you run too low pressure and not enough tokens you will be riding way too low in your travel. This will mean that you are deeper into the compression damping at ride height. Effectively this kills the small bump sensitivity and plushness off the top making the fork always feel harsh and packed out.
so then what would be a recommended pressure then? even with my weight? I weigh 55kg, also this is my first proper mtb so it might be doing exactly what it is meant to do but im unsure of that

Posted: Apr 4, 2018 at 9:07 Quote
Reign2018 wrote:
machchicken wrote:
Reign2018 wrote:

so then what would be a recommended pressure then? even with my weight? I weigh 55kg, also this is my first proper mtb so it might be doing exactly what it is meant to do but im unsure of that
The Rock shocks air guide says anywhere from 55-65PSI. I would try starting at 55 PSI, and if you find yourself bottoming out, put another token in. If you find that putting another token in caused the fork to ramp up to quickly, try adding more air pressure. You can do up to 4 Max. I personally wouldn't run 4 tokens. I usually run 2 tokens for trail riding, and 3 tokens for bike park riding.

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 4:00 Quote
Geoff-Smith wrote:
Reign2018 wrote:
machchicken wrote:

The Rock shocks air guide says anywhere from 55-65PSI. I would try starting at 55 PSI, and if you find yourself bottoming out, put another token in. If you find that putting another token in caused the fork to ramp up to quickly, try adding more air pressure. You can do up to 4 Max. I personally wouldn't run 4 tokens. I usually run 2 tokens for trail riding, and 3 tokens for bike park riding.
i wish i could but my lbs has none in stock for the next couple of weeks and also i dont have the tools to put them in

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 4:20 Quote
When you run too low pressure and not enough tokens you will be riding way too low in your travel. This will mean that you are deeper into the compression damping at ride height. Effectively this kills the small bump sensitivity and plushness off the top making the fork always feel harsh and packed out.[/Quote] in regards to the small bump sensitivity i put the pressure up to 55 and there is none the fork just sits there and doesn't move it only moves on bigger bumps like the gutter or rocks have any ideas on how to fix it

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 7:07 Quote
Vorsprung Luftkappe, order take to bike shop to install....

... Takes shock pump in back pack out on trail, makes various trial and error changes in the field...

... Goes to Canadian Tire to buy cheap socket, ratchet to remove top cap.

... Subscribed to Seth's Bike Hacks on YouTube.

These are all good ideas.

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
Reign2018 wrote:
in regards to the small bump sensitivity i put the pressure up to 55 and there is none the fork just sits there and doesn't move it only moves on bigger bumps like the gutter or rocks have any ideas on how to fix it[/Quote]

Sounds like it is time for a seal change and a rebuild. Id wager the seals are dry/need slick honey. Probably full of dirt and grit and your oil is low absent or dirty. If it is sticky off the top with that low a pressure it needs a rebuild. Should be buttery off the top with that low pressure.

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 11:52 Quote
That too. I’d say service it, add some tokens and make sure you’re running 20-25% sag in the front

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 4:07 Quote
machchicken wrote:
Reign2018 wrote:
in regards to the small bump sensitivity i put the pressure up to 55 and there is none the fork just sits there and doesn't move it only moves on bigger bumps like the gutter or rocks have any ideas on how to fix it

Sounds like it is time for a seal change and a rebuild. Id wager the seals are dry/need slick honey. Probably full of dirt and grit and your oil is low absent or dirty. If it is sticky off the top with that low a pressure it needs a rebuild. Should be buttery off the top with that low pressure.[/Quote] as a matter of fact all it was was a token needed to be added i found one in the bag i got with the bike and installed it. now it feels perfect thanks for helping me figure out my problem with the fork Smile

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 4:12 Quote
ridayobike wrote:

... Takes shock pump in back pack out on trail, makes various trial and error changes in the field...

i always carry a shock pump wherever i go and i am not only just subscribed to Seth's bike hacks but im also subscribed to gmbn aswell plus, that vorsprung thing is like $400 here in the au

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 6:19 Quote
Reign2018 wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

i always carry a shock pump wherever i go and i am not only just subscribed to Seth's bike hacks but im also subscribed to gmbn aswell plus, that vorsprung thing is like $400 here in the au

$85 in Canada, makes fork feel like a pro-tune black box setup apparently.

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
Reign2018 wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

$85 in Canada, makes fork feel like a pro-tune black box setup apparently.
you guys are lucky

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
14 good ride days on this bike report:

This bike is a destroyer! It seriously feels very close to my DH rig on descents. I have bottomed out on big hits on my DH rig that this thing seems to deal with easily. Overshot a 10 foot drop to flat (it was a roll and I hucked it because I was offline) and I didn't even use the whole travel! ( I have done the same on my DH I know slow learner and the DH bottomed out badly.) Progression is awesome! Because it is early season only the rowdiest double black gnar is open here....this bike eats it up. It is also not just a plower... Changing lines and getting onto high lines that I just cant do on my DH is easy. Super nimble yet will eat any rock garden in front of you. I would not say it is poppy but will jump to the moon if you ask it to. I am sure I can make it more poppy but it is always a compromise. I like to eat up an impact rather than buck wild all the time.
I am blown away by how well it climbs. I have short legs so my seat is slammed forward. Effectively this makes the seat tube angle much steeper. However, I have mucked around with seat in different positions and it climbs great in any setup. Way better than my friends 2017 reign. It also sits way higher in the travel all the time and doesnt blow through it. This means I can run lower pressures to keep sensitivity while not blowing through travel. Pedal strikes are also way less because of how high it naturally sits.

I have heard mention that having a long bike makes it harder to turn.... well it may take a bit more to drop the bar to the dirt but traction is there and once you realise that you can find traction soooo far over. Brapping corners and blowing up your builders' favorite new berm is easy. (dont be a dick. blow up your own berms asshat) *no dig, no ride!

In the air: I said it isnt "poppy" but holy crap this thing can fly. I am squashing things that I need to boost on my DH. My mind is recallibrating lips and distances because this will both jump and land! Carve the lip and the whip is right there...

Simply put this bike rips. I feel bad for my DH rig as I am reaching for this every time so far this season! Oh.... also this bike can diet! I got mine under 28 pounds! All it took was a super economical carbon wheel set Hope pro 4 on Noble rims, raceface carbon sixc bar...... I like bikes, so cheap to upgrade! ummmm yeah.

May the review help you to spend your money!

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 17:47 Quote
machchicken wrote:
14 good ride days on this bike report:

This bike is a destroyer! It seriously feels very close to my DH rig on descents. I have bottomed out on big hits on my DH rig that this thing seems to deal with easily. Overshot a 10 foot drop to flat (it was a roll and I hucked it because I was offline) and I didn't even use the whole travel! ( I have done the same on my DH I know slow learner and the DH bottomed out badly.) Progression is awesome! Because it is early season only the rowdiest double black gnar is open here....this bike eats it up. It is also not just a plower... Changing lines and getting onto high lines that I just cant do on my DH is easy. Super nimble yet will eat any rock garden in front of you. I would not say it is poppy but will jump to the moon if you ask it to. I am sure I can make it more poppy but it is always a compromise. I like to eat up an impact rather than buck wild all the time.
I am blown away by how well it climbs. I have short legs so my seat is slammed forward. Effectively this makes the seat tube angle much steeper. However, I have mucked around with seat in different positions and it climbs great in any setup. Way better than my friends 2017 reign. It also sits way higher in the travel all the time and doesnt blow through it. This means I can run lower pressures to keep sensitivity while not blowing through travel. Pedal strikes are also way less because of how high it naturally sits.

I have heard mention that having a long bike makes it harder to turn.... well it may take a bit more to drop the bar to the dirt but traction is there and once you realise that you can find traction soooo far over. Brapping corners and blowing up your builders' favorite new berm is easy. (dont be a dick. blow up your own berms asshat) *no dig, no ride!

In the air: I said it isnt "poppy" but holy crap this thing can fly. I am squashing things that I need to boost on my DH. My mind is recallibrating lips and distances because this will both jump and land! Carve the lip and the whip is right there...

Simply put this bike rips. I feel bad for my DH rig as I am reaching for this every time so far this season! Oh.... also this bike can diet! I got mine under 28 pounds! All it took was a super economical carbon wheel set Hope pro 4 on Noble rims, raceface carbon sixc bar...... I like bikes, so cheap to upgrade! ummmm yeah.

May the review help you to spend your money!
that is epic i am goin to check one out today my lbs is doing demos on them so i hope to have fun on it today

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011238
Mobile Version of Website