2018 giant reign

PB Forum :: Giant
2018 giant reign
Posted: Apr 18, 2018 at 19:57 Quote
looking to upgrade my stock wheels from reign 1.5 ltd. Is it worth it? I'm looking at Spank Spike or Ztr Arch w/pro 4 hubs. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 4:33 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
Geoff-Smith wrote:
parkourfan wrote:

My point is that if he's getting sram, he's better off with a shop that'll get it fitted well. XD drivers have been out for long enough that it's not "new" technology. If the guy wants SRAM, let him support the company that's better for the industry that you're in. Just because it's what you put on your bike doesn't make it the best decision for someone who's specifically asking how to make SRAM work on his bike. Either way, putting parts on the bike is a loss of money in the long run.

That isn't a great way to run a shop...given that the only shimano-related stuff that's truly profitable for you as a "mechanic" to your "consumer" is di2, and possibly a crankset if you can sell someone on that.

Teams will run whatever gives them the best deal. We're talking about an entry to mid-level consumer bike. If you wanna debate that, PM me to get this derailed thread off the board. There's more old bikes with shimano, since sram didn't have the same market share/quality that it does now.

I think your missing the point of my comment in the first place. He was wondering if he needed a new bottom bracket if he wanted to run eagle. Yes, a new bottom bracket is required. But, he could save a lot of money to run a drivetrain that's equivalent in retail price, for much much less. I honestly don't care if he wants to run Sram or Shimano. But in this case, it's a much better deal (price and convenience wise), to upgrade to XT rather then GX eagle. Especially since it's not a BB30, it's a PF30.

Yeah...he obviously doesn't need a replacement crank regardless of der type.
ok that is cleared up now i wont need to upgrade from the praxxis cadet cranks but anyways gx come in a groupset with them which im looking at getting it so i will possibly sell the cranks online thanks for clearing that up for me

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 4:47 Quote
CarnageCorner wrote:
looking to upgrade my stock wheels from reign 1.5 ltd. Is it worth it? I'm looking at Spank Spike or Ztr Arch w/pro 4 hubs. Any recommendations? Thank you!
try something dt swiss or full hope in carbon since they are practically indestructible but if you want aluminum then i have no idea what to put on i wouldn't want to change them anyways, unless they are seriously bent or even broken. ive put my reign through hell and back (with giant pam 2 rims) and my rims are still dead straight with nothing wrong with them but it is still your choice

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 9:03 Quote
DT Swiss, or Mavic Crossmax imo. carbon is great if you can afford it, but hell its pricy for some decent kit!

also if your original wheels are in good shape, a half-step/different brand of meh cosmetic upgrade won't change anything much.
look at weights of the wheels vs the cost, and know the weight of your current setup to compare.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 9:39 Quote

Just some quick thoughts from my demo of the Giant Reign last weekend!

Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 5:21 Quote
My new 2018 Giant Reign 1.5 GE uppgraded with a Fox Float X2 rear shock Maxxis DD tires and Ergon GD1 grips.
I run the Float x2 on my 2018 Giant Reign 1.5GE and it feels way better than the stock DPX2 shock. I guess this is as close of a coil shock feeling you can get whitout any of the drawbacks.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 5:00 Quote
OskarBouvin wrote:
My new 2018 Giant Reign 1.5 GE uppgraded with a Fox Float X2 rear shock Maxxis DD tires and Ergon GD1 grips.
I run the Float x2 on my 2018 Giant Reign 1.5GE and it feels way better than the stock DPX2 shock. I guess this is as close of a coil shock feeling you can get whitout any of the drawbacks.

Was wondering if you you know the dimensions for the rear shock, like eye to eye and what not? Thinking about upgrading shock, but i cant find info anywhere on it and i don't feel like taking it out.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
jarrett27 wrote:
OskarBouvin wrote:

Was wondering if you you know the dimensions for the rear shock, like eye to eye and what not? Thinking about upgrading shock, but i cant find info anywhere on it and i don't feel like taking it out.

The eye to eye messure is 205mm and the stroke is 62.5mm, and the shock is trunnion mounted. I have the old DPX2 shock for sale but sadly i think that the shipping to USA will be pretty expensive.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 10:35 Quote
OskarBouvin wrote:
jarrett27 wrote:
OskarBouvin wrote:

The eye to eye messure is 205mm and the stroke is 62.5mm, and the shock is trunnion mounted. I have the old DPX2 shock for sale but sadly i think that the shipping to USA will be pretty expensive.

Awesome, thank you. And no worries, thinking about going with a coil over anyways.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
jarrett27 wrote:
OskarBouvin wrote:
jarrett27 wrote:

Awesome, thank you. And no worries, thinking about going with a coil over anyways.

I have the Reign Advanced 0 and I took off the factory coil shock... Never used I have it for sale, make you a great deal. RS Super Deluxe w/ remote lockout... Nice shock!

O+
Posted: May 1, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
jarrett27 wrote:
OskarBouvin wrote:

I have the Reign Advanced 0 and I took off the factory coil shock... Never used I have it for sale, make you a great deal. RS Super Deluxe w/ remote lockout... Nice shock!

Intersting... I'll have to think about it. Trying to figure out whats up with my shock. I have the reign 2 and the deluxe rt thats on it is not really functioning. Like it holds air and squishes and what not. But the settings like the lock out and rebound don't seem to change the feel of the shock no matter how much i turn the dials. It also seems to leaking a fair amount of oil down the stancions. It's got about a month of riding on it and i was reading somewhere that a little leakage is normal? Not sure, looks like enough to be concerning to me. So I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this problem? And whether I should rebuild it or send it back? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 5:59 Quote
What do you call a Fox Shox that don't leak oil?
... A) Empty.

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 7:45 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
What do you call a Fox Shox that don't leak oil?
... A) Empty.

What kind of fox shock are you running? Only one I’ve had faulty seals on was a new EVOL one on an anthem...

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 15:24 Quote
jarrett27 wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
jarrett27 wrote:

Intersting... I'll have to think about it. Trying to figure out whats up with my shock. I have the reign 2 and the deluxe rt thats on it is not really functioning. Like it holds air and squishes and what not. But the settings like the lock out and rebound don't seem to change the feel of the shock no matter how much i turn the dials. It also seems to leaking a fair amount of oil down the stancions. It's got about a month of riding on it and i was reading somewhere that a little leakage is normal? Not sure, looks like enough to be concerning to me. So I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this problem? And whether I should rebuild it or send it back? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hmm, I kind of had the same problem with my dpx2, so I sent it to Fox for a warranty claim but it didn’t really change anything. What pressure are you running? It seems like if you are on the heavier side and have to run pressures around 250psi and above, the dials don’t really do that much of a noticeable difference compared to someone who needs less pressure. About the lockout, it simply changes the low speed compression damping on the shock, so it’s not really a lockout at all, the shock can still move if it encounters bumps and what not.
Oil on the stanchions isn’t anything to worry about, as long as it isn’t literally dripping... Smile

O+
Posted: May 2, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
OskarBouvin wrote:
jarrett27 wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

Hmm, I kind of had the same problem with my dpx2, so I sent it to Fox for a warranty claim but it didn’t really change anything. What pressure are you running? It seems like if you are on the heavier side and have to run pressures around 250psi and above, the dials don’t really do that much of a noticeable difference compared to someone who needs less pressure. About the lockout, it simply changes the low speed compression damping on the shock, so it’s not really a lockout at all, the shock can still move if it encounters bumps and what not.
Oil on the stanchions isn’t anything to worry about, as long as it isn’t literally dripping... Smile

Gotcha. Idk tho like you flip the switch to closed and its literally no different than with the switch to open. I work at a bike shop and the guys there are thinking somethings wrong with it. Gonna call sram tomorrow and hopefully have it taken care of soon. Thank you for the input

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015459
Mobile Version of Website