2018 giant reign

PB Forum :: Giant
2018 giant reign
Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
timbud wrote:
If you like the shock, just run it open.

There are a good amount of shocks out there in 205x62.5. I got a Float X2 on mine late last year. Its way better than the standard DPX2 mit came with

yep I wish i could just run it open but we do a lot of climbing in southern california haha

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
sayrius wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
koolgreen1 wrote:
Hi all sorry if this has been covered in the past.... i have a 2018 reign sx and silly as it may seem I dont like the remote lock switch on the rockshox super deluxe rt.

Is there a way to rebuild it so that it deletes the switch and just have a dial? I also looked into just swapping out the coil shock altogether but there doesnt seem to be a directly replacement from rockshox and or fox (or any coil shock) on the 205x62.5 sizing.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

Marozcchi Bomber CR is the most affordable. however there is only 230x60 and 230x65 so you could use an offset ushing, for now, there should be a 62.5 out soon hopefully.
You can't use offset bushing since shock has trunion mount and 15mm axle from the other side.

oh ya i forgot about that. trunnion can eat my shorts.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
Hi all!

I have a 2017 giant reign 2, thinking of upgrading my front forks to fox 36’s 170mm travel.

Does anyone have 170mm forks on and how does it effect the bike?

Also can the frame handle a longer fork?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
aaronjonesbmx31 wrote:
Hi all!

I have a 2017 giant reign 2, thinking of upgrading my front forks to fox 36’s 170mm travel.

Does anyone have 170mm forks on and how does it effect the bike?

Also can the frame handle a longer fork?

Thanks
Go back a couple pages, it has been discussed several times.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 22:22 Quote
How does the Reign SX climb?

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 23:18 Quote
Like a gazelle^^^

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 1:29 Quote
I just pulled the trigger on one. 2019 Giant Reign SX 2. I need to swap out the drive train to get it climbing better. Comes stock with 9speed 11-28t cassette and sram x5 derailleur/shifter. Going to upgrade to Shimano 10 speed drivetrain with a wider range.

I was going to buy the SX 1 because it has NX Eagle, but it was $1000 more, and truth be told I didn't like the feel of the DVO Onyx fork sitting on the bike in store. As nice as it is, the fork didn't feel as stout/stiff as Rockshox or Fox stuff I am used to. I am a heavy rider, and a like a stiffer fork chassis. The Onyx felt like it would be a Cadillac versus super supportive, and that's what all the DVO reviews I have read say too. Not that it's bad, it's just not what I prefer on my bikes.

The $1000 savings can buy me a nice drivetrain, shock, and dropper post. Only thing is that the SX 2 has heavier DH wheels, but they'll probably last a while Smile

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
How does the Reign SX climb?

definitely not great... I have the 2018 sx Smile

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
I keep getting mixed reviews from people, and reading mixed reviews on magazines too. Some people say it climbs great even without a shock platform, and some say it climbs even better with the platform, they've been pleasantly surprised. Others have said it climbs terribly lol. Enduro-MTB said it climbs like crap, Bikemag said it climbs OK, MTBAction said it climbs well, and BikeRadar said it climbs well.

As long as it pedals better than my Scott Voltage did (or should I say didn't), and comes close to a Sentinel, which it feels like it does on flat ground, I'll be happy. I'll find out this weekend, with the 11-28 cassette haha. That'll really be the test of "can it climb". I'm going to upgrade to a shimano 11 speed within a few weeks. I still can't ride most of the trails around my house yet due to snow.

I kind of regret not getting DVO suspension, but the chassis of the Onyx fork just felt less burly than the Yari or a Fox 36. I bet it's a great fork for most people racing though, it felt super plush and comfortable on the showroom floor. If I wasn't 100kg geared up I'd have spent the extra for it.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
I think it climbs well for a 160mm bike with a 65 degree HT. I have a coil on mine and don’t even use the climb switch. Compared to my friends with similar bikes I hold my own on single track, technical and fire road climbs.
Good luck with the 28t cassette though!

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 17:34 Quote
It climbs fine for an enduro bike. However it's a poor choice if you only ever use it as a trail bike.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Has anyone warrantied a link? My upper link is cracked and im wondering if I can get a whole new frame?

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
I got my first short ride on it. It pedals well for sure, and I don't even have the correct spring on it yet. I need a heavier spring. Even with the 28t sprocket, it made it up a steep road pretty well. Standing or sitting. I think it will climb like a champ with a 500 or 550 spring and a Shimano XT 11-46 drivetrain. I think it's a better climber than the Transition Sentinel. In fact, I remember having a harder time with the Sentinel and "needing" the bigger gears or lockout on steep stuff, whereas on this Reign I felt like it still pedaled pretty well with the 28tooth and no lockout. I need more time on harder trails to really say that conclusively though. It definitely pedals much better than enduro bikes of 5 years ago, thats for sure. It doesn't bob that much under power.

Descending is where this bike shines. I took it over a few little hits, and kept lapping those few little hits. It's not quite as confidence inspiring as a Scott Voltage, but pretty darn close. It feels significantly more nimble than a Voltage though, and isn't even close to as demanding as a downhill rig. Which was pleasantly surprising, because all the reviews call it a "tank, barge, plow" or "cumbersome but blisteringly fast". On my second little run, I began wheelying around and playing with the bike on the descents, something I haven't been able to do so quickly on a new a bike since my 2014 Commencal Meta SX. This bike is super maneuverable for me, I guess because I'm used to bigger bikes. It feels easier to go fast on for me, and more playful than a Sentinel, which is saying a lot.

My first complaint is the back end is super loud! It sounds like it's breaking apart underneath me when I hit rough stuff. Idk if it's the coil shock or the linkage or the chainslap or what. Gonna have to experiment and quite this thing down. My Gambler coil isn't half as loud.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 21:03 Quote
aceface17 wrote:
Has anyone warrantied a link? My upper link is cracked and im wondering if I can get a whole new frame?
Doubtful.... IMO

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 1:10 Quote
Sold my 2018 Reign few weeks ago. The bike is definitely not a good climber, if you don’t have strong legs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012242
Mobile Version of Website