2018 giant reign

PB Forum :: Giant
2018 giant reign
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
Yeah the stem and wheels are the only original parts left. Smile
I've got the 54t upgrade... thats well worth it and so far they've been one of the best wheelers I've ever used. Haven't needed any re-tensioning or truing in 2 years and the bearings are still sweet too.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 5:19 Quote
Deadclmbr wrote:
timbud wrote:
There's literally nothing left I can upgrade now
I see some stock hubs in there, lol
But seriously. Looks great. I just ordered the 54t upgrade for my rear hub.

My buddy just did a similar build with the 2019 Reign Advanced frameset in the Chameleon Color. AXS XX1, Hope V4 Brakes, Full Deity 35 Cockpit and Saddle, I9 Hydra Hubs laced to LiteCycle Carbon Wheels, DVO Onyx SC. Things a masterpiece, I should post some photos of it.
I also built up a 2019 Reign advanced Frameset. DVO Onyx, Stans Flows laced to DT 350's with the 54t ratchet. Shimano XTR 11sp Drivetrain, E thirteen Cassette, X01 Carbon Cranks, Deity Cockpit. Not quiet as nice as your builds, but it looks pretty nice to me. Cheaper to fix when I inevitably break it.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
Do you guys have a small amount of play in your linkage/rear hub and axle?

I noticed a small amount of play on my one month old Reign, in the hub/axle and just the entire linkage design. I got worried and took it to my shop for them to look at, and there was a brand new Reign sitting there. The brand new Reign had the same sort of play in the rear triangle, and the mechanic told me that it’s just the design of the bike. It’s designed to have a little flex.

Just wondering if you guys have that flex too?

It’s very minor, but noticeable.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I noticed a small amount of play on my one month old Reign, in the hub/axle and just the entire linkage design. I got worried and took it to my shop for them to look at, and there was a brand new Reign sitting there. The brand new Reign had the same sort of play in the rear triangle, and the mechanic told me that it’s just the design of the bike. It’s designed to have a little flex.

If I move my back wheel sideways there is a small amount of play, I thought it was play in my hub bearings

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
aceface17 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

If I move my back wheel sideways there is a small amount of play, I thought it was play in my hub bearings

Yup, exactly. If you do the same thing to a new Transition Patrol or Sentinel, they feel so much more solid. My bike is only a month old, and a brand new Reign at the shop had the same sort of play. I was a little disappointed honestly, but I guess if that's part of what makes the Reign so comfortable in rough terrain, I'll take it. Although, it is more reassuring in my mind when a bike feels more solid.

I hear the Canyon Torque has a bit of play designed in the linkage too.

If you grab one of the seatstays and do the same side to side motion, you'll feel a smaller amount of flex. When you grab the wheel and move it side to side, it seems like you are feeling all of the play from all the stays and linkage combined.

If it is an issue with your hubs though, let us know.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
aceface17 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Yup, exactly. If you do the same thing to a new Transition Patrol or Sentinel, they feel so much more solid. My bike is only a month old, and a brand new Reign at the shop had the same sort of play. I was a little disappointed honestly, but I guess if that's part of what makes the Reign so comfortable in rough terrain, I'll take it. Although, it is more reassuring in my mind when a bike feels more solid.

If you grab one of the seatstays and do the same side to side motion, you'll feel a smaller amount of flex. When you grab the wheel and move it side to side, it seems like you are feeling all of the play from all the stays and linkage combined.

the alloy reign is also pretty flexy, in a good way tho

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
I have the 2019 SX 2 Alloy. I compared it to the 2019 Reign 2 Alloy in the shop. I was thinking about selling my SX and upgrading to the Carbon frame, but since that has the same aluminum rear triangle, I think I will build up a different carbon frame like a Pivot Firebird 29 and keep the alloy Reign.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
aceface17 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
aceface17 wrote:

the alloy reign is also pretty flexy, in a good way tho

I would recheck the torque on all of the bolts in your linkage. Unfortunately most shops don't torque the linkage to proper specs when building the bikes up, so they become loose and cause a little bit of play. Most linkages do have play designed into them so that their isn't excessive lateral force on the bearings in hard compressions and corners, causing them to seize and wear out quicker; hence your suspension doesn't work. When their is a lateral force applied to the reign linkage, (while your riding the bike), it has no play. Expecting flex and play in products is common practice in the mtb industry. For instance the brand new i9 Hydra hubs are designed around a flexing axle which allows for their 6 pawl 690t hubs to work.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
The mechanic told me he went through all my linkage bolts and torqued them down. It had him puzzled too, and he wanted to figure it out. I didn't buy it from this shop, but they are also a Giant dealer. I'll bring it down to where I bought it (Giant Factory Store) soon.

It's such a small amount of flex I'm talking about, it's only noticeable if you try to produce it. I don't feel it on the trail. This bike isn't super stiff, but it's also not too flexy either. I was just verifying that I wasn't crazy or didn't need to warranty my rear triangle, because as said bolts are torqued to spec and there's still a small amount of play. I'm happy to hear that it's normal though.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

free play is not the same as flex, imo there should not be any free play on any modern bike. however all bikes can and will have some flex depending on forces applied. I'd have someone flex rear from top of wheel and seat tube while feeling for play at pivot locations. also service rear hub and make sure rear axle is tight.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
Has anyone tested a 65mm stroke shock rather than the stock 62.5mm? I realize it would only be another 6mm of travel but just want to make sure there’s enough clearance for it. Found a great deal on a 65mm stroke coil shock

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
murrdogg wrote:
Has anyone tested a 65mm stroke shock rather than the stock 62.5mm? I realize it would only be another 6mm of travel but just want to make sure there’s enough clearance for it. Found a great deal on a 65mm stroke coil shock
Yes I talked about it a couple pages back. Tried it for a couple months. The only reason I dont have one anymore is because I upgraded to a reign 0 frame this year.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Geoff-Smith wrote:
murrdogg wrote:
Yes I talked about it a couple pages back. Tried it for a couple months. The only reason I dont have one anymore is because I upgraded to a reign 0 frame this year.

ok I found you post which basically just said you did it and it was fine...did you take all the air out of the shock and bottom it out to check for clearance? I have a coil so that method doesn't work well. any other feed back?

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
murrdogg wrote:
Geoff-Smith wrote:
murrdogg wrote:

ok I found you post which basically just said you did it and it was fine...did you take all the air out of the shock and bottom it out to check for clearance? I have a coil so that method doesn't work well. any other feed back?

Yup. No clearance issues. Rode it very hard for 2 months and loved it. The next shock i buy for the bike i plan on buying a 65 stroke.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 4:38 Quote
Geoff-Smith wrote:

My buddy just did a similar build with the 2019 Reign Advanced frameset in the Chameleon Color. AXS XX1, Hope V4 Brakes, Full Deity 35 Cockpit and Saddle, I9 Hydra Hubs laced to LiteCycle Carbon Wheels, DVO Onyx SC. Things a masterpiece, I should post some photos of it.
I also built up a 2019 Reign advanced Frameset. DVO Onyx, Stans Flows laced to DT 350's with the 54t ratchet. Shimano XTR 11sp Drivetrain, E thirteen Cassette, X01 Carbon Cranks, Deity Cockpit. Not quiet as nice as your builds, but it looks pretty nice to me. Cheaper to fix when I inevitably break it.

Sweet!
Get some photos up

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017840
Mobile Version of Website