close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

2018 giant reign

PB Forum :: Giant
2018 giant reign
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
bmxrace121 wrote:
TurboDonuts wrote:
For those of you wanting to drastically improve the performance of your Reign, I can’t recommend the new Cascade Components link enough. I was an unpaid test rider for a prototype link and have put it through its paces in a variety of scenarios over the past few months. I used to bottom out the rear far too often, despite having adequate sag/pressure in my shock. The bike also suffered from low-mid travel harshness in tough sections. Both of these characteristics have been sorted out with the link. The bike is slightly lower/longer/slacker but still climbs confidently, and feels much improved on descents.


Whattt no f*cking way i’ve been wanting them to make one for years?? for the current 275 or 29?

Way! 27.5” for sure. I think they’ll need to verify fitment/clearance on a 29” setup.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
bmxrace121 wrote:
TurboDonuts wrote:
For those of you wanting to drastically improve the performance of your Reign, I can’t recommend the new Cascade Components link enough. I was an unpaid test rider for a prototype link and have put it through its paces in a variety of scenarios over the past few months. I used to bottom out the rear far too often, despite having adequate sag/pressure in my shock. The bike also suffered from low-mid travel harshness in tough sections. Both of these characteristics have been sorted out with the link. The bike is slightly lower/longer/slacker but still climbs confidently, and feels much improved on descents.


Whattt no f*cking way i’ve been wanting them to make one for years?? for the current 275 or 29?

Way! 27.5” for sure. I think they’ll need to verify fitment/clearance on a 29” setup.

Just ordered one on ep, should be sweet. Just got a 2021 float x2 and a 180 zeb recently so this is literally the missing link to making the reign the sled I always wished it was.

What shock were you testing out on it and roughly how much do you think it slackens the bike out? Just curious, not too worried about making the bike climb worse as it was always a pig anyways.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
bmxrace121 wrote:
TurboDonuts wrote:
bmxrace121 wrote:


Whattt no f*cking way i’ve been wanting them to make one for years?? for the current 275 or 29?

Way! 27.5” for sure. I think they’ll need to verify fitment/clearance on a 29” setup.

Just ordered one on ep, should be sweet. Just got a 2021 float x2 and a 180 zeb recently so this is literally the missing link to making the reign the sled I always wished it was.

What shock were you testing out on it and roughly how much do you think it slackens the bike out? Just curious, not too worried about making the bike climb worse as it was always a pig anyways.

Nice!
2019 Fox DPX2 off a Reign Advanced (Reece Wallace’s bike).

The bike gets 5-10mm longer, BB drops 5-10mm, and the head tube is likely 0.5-1.0° slacker. The first time you sit on the bike with the link, you go through immediate plushness and then the sag point hits and you’re well supported. I thought the geo would affect my climbing, but I’ve been charging hills just the same. My first timed run was on-par with my PR and I wasn’t pushing hard.

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 5:08 Quote
For anyone on the 2018 27.5 Reign with the Cascade link, how are you feeling it’s performing please? Curious as to what sort of things have improved

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
jeremyk wrote:
For anyone on the 2018 27.5 Reign with the Cascade link, how are you feeling it’s performing please? Curious as to what sort of things have improved

For me, the three most notable changes:
1) Small bump sensitivity - initial travel is very supple.
2) Bottom out resistance - I added 10psi per recommendations (new leverage curve) and have bottomed it out maybe once or twice, compared to almost every ride with stock link.
3) Slightly slacker head tube angle.

I’m running on a Fox DPX2 with Reign tune. There may be incompatibility with some Rockshox shocks.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 5:14 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
jeremyk wrote:
For anyone on the 2018 27.5 Reign with the Cascade link, how are you feeling it’s performing please? Curious as to what sort of things have improved

For me, the three most notable changes:
1) Small bump sensitivity - initial travel is very supple.
2) Bottom out resistance - I added 10psi per recommendations (new leverage curve) and have bottomed it out maybe once or twice, compared to almost every ride with stock link.
3) Slightly slacker head tube angle.

I’m running on a Fox DPX2 with Reign tune. There may be incompatibility with some Rockshox shocks.

Thanks very much. Really great to hear small bump sensitivity improves.

I have an EXT storia, and even with such a good shock, something isn’t quite right. Pretty sure I bottom out more than expected, despite the built in ramp up capability of the Storia. And despite having correct sag, I’m pretty sure the mid stroke support is not what it should be. I find it quite hard with rear shocks to pinpoint where the issue was is, sounds like this Cascade link may be worth a go

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
Regarding the Giant P AM-2 wheels that come on a bunch of Giant's bikes:
- What replacement pawls are compatible with the hubs? When I pulled the freehub, I found that one of the pawls sheared in half, and the thinner pawl (the survivor) had a lot of wear on it. It looks like the RL Pawl kit from Halo is (visually) closest to the originals (https://www.halowheels.com/shop/spares/hub-spares/rl-pawl-and-spring-kit/)

One of the seals in the freehub said "Formula" on it, but I'm not finding Formula replacement pawls anywhere. I also found that all bearings were in good shape aside from the drive side front and rear wheel bearings, interestingly. For the front hubs, does the axle need to be struck out from the brake side, drive side, or either?

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
Anyone got a rear shock for sale for a 2018 advanced 1? 205 x 62.5 trunnion.

Many thanks.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 0:46 Quote
Hi
I have a question. I have Giant Reign ADV 1 2018
Now I have Fox Float DPX2 Performance
I want to upgrade rear shock.

DVO Topaz?
Fox X2?
DVO Jade X?
Fox DHX2?

Something another?

Price is not some important but it will be nice if in future service will be not so expensive

Best 3 shocks to uprade?




(I don't "fly" just riding)

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 1:22 Quote
CzarmenS wrote:
Hi
I have a question. I have Giant Reign ADV 1 2018
Now I have Fox Float DPX2 Performance
I want to upgrade rear shock.

DVO Topaz?
Fox X2?
DVO Jade X?
Fox DHX2?

Something another?

Price is not some important but it will be nice if in future service will be not so expensive

Best 3 shocks to uprade?

(I don't "fly" just riding)

You'd better try coil if you don't care that much about the weight. Can't talk about Jade X, but regular Jade performs very well.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
CzarmenS wrote:
Hi
I have a question. I have Giant Reign ADV 1 2018
Now I have Fox Float DPX2 Performance
I want to upgrade rear shock.

DVO Topaz?
Fox X2?
DVO Jade X?
Fox DHX2?

Something another?

Price is not some important but it will be nice if in future service will be not so expensive

Best 3 shocks to uprade?


(I don't "fly" just riding)

What type of riding are you doing? If you're just riding enduro, the DPX2 is a solid option.

If you go coil, the stock linkage is unfavorable. You'll want a progressive spring and/or aftermarket linkage, otherwise you'll be blowing through the end of travel (sprung for rough terrain) or have harsh initial travel (sprung for big hits).

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 22:06 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
CzarmenS wrote:
Hi
I have a question. I have Giant Reign ADV 1 2018
Now I have Fox Float DPX2 Performance
I want to upgrade rear shock.

DVO Topaz?
Fox X2?
DVO Jade X?
Fox DHX2?

Something another?

Price is not some important but it will be nice if in future service will be not so expensive

Best 3 shocks to uprade?


(I don't "fly" just riding)

What type of riding are you doing? If you're just riding enduro, the DPX2 is a solid option.

If you go coil, the stock linkage is unfavorable. You'll want a progressive spring and/or aftermarket linkage, otherwise you'll be blowing through the end of travel (sprung for rough terrain) or have harsh initial travel (sprung for big hits).

I riding trail/enduro some wild mountain but without hugh jumps etc.

I thinking if Reign SX has coil then for me coil also can be good (or am I wrong? For know I close to buy DVO Jade X + progressive spring.

To be honest price it's not important I want to have best option for my Maestro.

I'm very disappointed my original DPX2. After 765km and 99h (I using this bike only in mountains) I'm after replacement the seals (after 620km and 76h). Second time in my shock (air from positive chamber go to negative whereby shock is collapsing).

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
CzarmenS wrote:
TurboDonuts wrote:
CzarmenS wrote:
Hi
I have a question. I have Giant Reign ADV 1 2018
Now I have Fox Float DPX2 Performance
I want to upgrade rear shock.

DVO Topaz?
Fox X2?
DVO Jade X?
Fox DHX2?

Something another?

Price is not some important but it will be nice if in future service will be not so expensive

Best 3 shocks to uprade?


(I don't "fly" just riding)

What type of riding are you doing? If you're just riding enduro, the DPX2 is a solid option.

If you go coil, the stock linkage is unfavorable. You'll want a progressive spring and/or aftermarket linkage, otherwise you'll be blowing through the end of travel (sprung for rough terrain) or have harsh initial travel (sprung for big hits).

I riding trail/enduro some wild mountain but without hugh jumps etc.

I thinking if Reign SX has coil then for me coil also can be good (or am I wrong? For know I close to buy DVO Jade X + progressive spring.

To be honest price it's not important I want to have best option for my Maestro.

I'm very disappointed my original DPX2. After 765km and 99h (I using this bike only in mountains) I'm after replacement the seals (after 620km and 76h). Second time in my shock (air from positive chamber go to negative whereby shock is collapsing).

Despite the Reign SX coming with a coil, the factory suspension geometry really isn't well-suited for it. A progressive spring would be strongly recommended, and/or linkage changes.

Sorry to hear your DPX2 has been problematic. I got a full year of riding without issues, and went straight into a 250hr service. Did you clean the shock body regularly? Lubricate it?


Unrelated to rear shocks - Praxis cranks/BB on our bikes: The M24 Praxis cranks measure to 24/22mm, which is the same as SRAM. However, the Praxis cranks require 0mm offset chain rings, which are impossible to find in steel, direct mount, 32T. If I were to swap to a GX crankset, for example, would a new PF BB be needed? If so, I guess it's worth shopping around for any crankset, assuming one can find the right bottom bracket. Any suggestions? I'm looking for cranks that have decent chain ring selection and aren't a pain to remove. Thanks!

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 15:30 Quote
Nothing scientific about my take. However, I installed an Ohlins coil on my reign and it was the best upgrade I could’ve made. I do wish that I had a slightly heavier spring than what they sent for my weight and riding style etc. I rode at the bike park a bit and the coil reduced trail chatter significantly and made the bike WAY more predictable when jumping. It also didn’t stiffen up or fade on long runs. It gave way more grip when climbing and just stuck to the ground a lot better than the dpx2. Didn’t seem to bounce over roots or anything. Turbo may be right about the limited progressiveness of the stock linkage, which is why I maybe wanted a heavier spring, but the pros outweighed the cons for me. The Giant enduro team ran a coil on this bike just FYI. If you decide to go coil, the Ohlins is very simple. It only has a few click either direction on each adjustment and is easy to tell how each adjustment changes the bike. So at this point it may sound like rambling, but I no longer own the bike and I built a Norco Sight. It too can run a coil. I currently have an air shock installed but have run a coil WITH a progressive spring and the experience has been less than favorable and it’s noticeably heavier. Just food for thought. This stuff isn’t cheap to just try this or that. Hope this helps.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 2:12 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
CzarmenS wrote:
TurboDonuts wrote:


What type of riding are you doing? If you're just riding enduro, the DPX2 is a solid option.

If you go coil, the stock linkage is unfavorable. You'll want a progressive spring and/or aftermarket linkage, otherwise you'll be blowing through the end of travel (sprung for rough terrain) or have harsh initial travel (sprung for big hits).

I riding trail/enduro some wild mountain but without hugh jumps etc.

I thinking if Reign SX has coil then for me coil also can be good (or am I wrong? For know I close to buy DVO Jade X + progressive spring.

To be honest price it's not important I want to have best option for my Maestro.

I'm very disappointed my original DPX2. After 765km and 99h (I using this bike only in mountains) I'm after replacement the seals (after 620km and 76h). Second time in my shock (air from positive chamber go to negative whereby shock is collapsing).

Despite the Reign SX coming with a coil, the factory suspension geometry really isn't well-suited for it. A progressive spring would be strongly recommended, and/or linkage changes.

I spoke with guy from DVO and he told me that for my bike will be better notmal spring not progressive. Now I'm confused.


Sorry to hear your DPX2 has been problematic. I got a full year of riding without issues, and went straight into a 250hr service. Did you clean the shock body regularly? Lubricate it?

Yes my shock has around 90h of riding only. And allready 3 services included one time change or all seals.
I saw that he has factory problem with it.



Unrelated to rear shocks - Praxis cranks/BB on our bikes: The M24 Praxis cranks measure to 24/22mm, which is the same as SRAM. However, the Praxis cranks require 0mm offset chain rings, which are impossible to find in steel, direct mount, 32T. If I were to swap to a GX crankset, for example, would a new PF BB be needed? If so, I guess it's worth shopping around for any crankset, assuming one can find the right bottom bracket. Any suggestions? I'm looking for cranks that have decent chain ring selection and aren't a pain to remove. Thanks!

Check www.banless.pl This is Polish Company with top quality product. I have allready three crankgear from him.
https://www.facebook.com/Banless/

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007152
Mobile Version of Website