2018 giant reign
Posted: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38 Quote
How are you guys liking them so far??

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I'm also curious.

I'm considering a Reign 2 as do-it-all bike. The weight penalty doesn't seem significant. From what I've read the Reign 2 only weighs 1 lb more than the Trance 2.

Posted: Dec 8, 2017 at 10:08 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I'm also curious.

I'm considering a Reign 2 as do-it-all bike. The weight penalty doesn't seem significant. From what I've read the Reign 2 only weighs 1 lb more than the Trance 2.

I have not had a chance to push this bike's capabilities yet. But to be honest we all know the it will be a monster going with gravity. I can say that, at speed this thing corners edge to edge without even thinking, I will need to be careful not to corner myself right off the bike. I like the steering input, the extra length combined with offset fork feels perfect, nimble yet stable. I dont know what this will be like in granny gear on switch backs but TBH I did not get this bike to go and session uphill switchbacks so it is irrelevant. It feels roomy but not in an overly reachy way. ie) there is a big usable sweetspot in this bike without feeling stretched out. I was worried about sizing and felt i was between small and medium with the added reach. So glad I went with medium despite the recommendations of LBS saying small small small.
I have the 2018 advanced 1 and am blown away with the fox suspension. The pedal platform on the DPX2 is amazing. Even cranking hard on steep hills in granny there is zero bob but still reactivity over bumps. Tons of traction without the feeling of looping out like on my old model reign. The new length on the front triangle has anchored the front wheel reducing the forward input needed to keep the tire down. The front tire does not feel light or vague on climbs. This is not a super light xc bike, but I feel like being in the saddle for longer climbs and big days will not be an issue. Pedal input feels like it goes directly into forward motion.

Couple of things. Sram rs guides... ok... we will see but probably getting upgraded to codes.
Giant seat....like a samurai sword being inserted without any delicacy
Giant contact sl bar. Too straight and not enough rise or sweep for my wrists.
These are literally all things that I customise on every bike so it is not a big deal. Would pick an option without bars seat etc if any company offered it for slightly less money.

This bike has the sickest paint I have ever seen. It is a base yellow with green sprayed over top. The paint color has all these amazing fades over different angles. It gives me a boner.

Does it climb like an anthem.... no, it is heavier and beefier and bigger but totally able. Does it descend like my demo 8... yes. Will it go uphill without me swearing and regretting every meal choice.... that is personal.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2017 at 12:18 Quote
machchicken wrote:
The pedal platform on the DPX2 is amazing. Even cranking hard on steep hills in granny there is zero bob but still reactivity over bumps. Tons of traction without the feeling of looping out like on my old model reign.

Thanks. I have briefly tested a 2017 Reign Advanced and it also had no pedal bob. I didn't get to take it up any tight switchbacks though.

And yes, the paint schemes on the 2018 Reigns look amazing.

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 11:09 Quote
Do any of you guys use your Reign for freeride/jump trails?

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 12:05 Quote
machchicken wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I'm also curious.

I have not had a chance to push this bike's capabilities yet. But to be honest we all know the it will be a monster going with gravity. I can say that, at speed this thing corners edge to edge without even thinking, I will need to be careful not to corner myself right off the bike. I like the steering input, the extra length combined with offset fork feels perfect, nimble yet stable. I dont know what this will be like in granny gear on switch backs but TBH I did not get this bike to go and session uphill switchbacks so it is irrelevant. It feels roomy but not in an overly reachy way. ie) there is a big usable sweetspot in this bike without feeling stretched out. I was worried about sizing and felt i was between small and medium with the added reach. So glad I went with medium despite the recommendations of LBS saying small small small.
I have the 2018 advanced 1 and am blown away with the fox suspension. The pedal platform on the DPX2 is amazing. Even cranking hard on steep hills in granny there is zero bob but still reactivity over bumps. Tons of traction without the feeling of looping out like on my old model reign. The new length on the front triangle has anchored the front wheel reducing the forward input needed to keep the tire down. The front tire does not feel light or vague on climbs. This is not a super light xc bike, but I feel like being in the saddle for longer climbs and big days will not be an issue. Pedal input feels like it goes directly into forward motion.

Couple of things. Sram rs guides... ok... we will see but probably getting upgraded to codes.
Giant seat....like a samurai sword being inserted without any delicacy
Giant contact sl bar. Too straight and not enough rise or sweep for my wrists.
These are literally all things that I customise on every bike so it is not a big deal. Would pick an option without bars seat etc if any company offered it for slightly less money.

This bike has the sickest paint I have ever seen. It is a base yellow with green sprayed over top. The paint color has all these amazing fades over different angles. It gives me a boner.

Does it climb like an anthem.... no, it is heavier and beefier and bigger but totally able. Does it descend like my demo 8... yes. Will it go uphill without me swearing and regretting every meal choice.... that is personal.
Reign 2 is super rad. Perfect for aggressive riding. Climbing isn't its strong suit, but it does it fine. Descending is ridiculous, feels like a glory. With the reign 2, I would recommend upgrading to a 1x11, from the 1x10 deore drivetrain that's on their. Brakes were ok, but I replaced them with Zee four piston brakes.
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Geoff-Smith/album/2018-Rig/

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2017 at 5:10 Quote
Geoff-Smith wrote:
Reign 2 is super rad. Perfect for aggressive riding. Climbing isn't its strong suit, but it does it fine. Descending is ridiculous, feels like a glory. With the reign 2, I would recommend upgrading to a 1x11, from the 1x10 deore drivetrain that's on their. Brakes were ok, but I replaced them with Zee four piston brakes.
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Geoff-Smith/album/2018-Rig/

I'd probably end up putting a 1x11 with a 11-46 cassette on it. That blue looks sick.

Posted: Dec 11, 2017 at 17:26 Quote
hell ya! thats what they are all about, and hauling azzzzz

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 at 5:12 Quote
Anybody know how much travel the dropper post has on the XL frame?

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 at 9:18 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
Anybody know how much travel the dropper post has on the XL frame?

I have an XL. I haven't ever measured the dropper post but I am 191cm tall and have been very happy with the fit of everything on the bike.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It is good enough for climbing and an absolute beast on descents.

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 23:45 Quote
Guys, I've recenly read the Reign 18 review and the tester claimed that the coli shock model has only 148mm of travel due to the bottom-out bumper in the shock. I never had coil shock, therefore don't know what to think about this. Are you able to confirm this?

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 10:04 Quote
fnk wrote:
Guys, I've recenly read the Reign 18 review and the tester claimed that the coli shock model has only 148mm of travel due to the bottom-out bumper in the shock. I never had coil shock, therefore don't know what to think about this. Are you able to confirm this?

I got an answer to this: I myself (XB) am getting a Reign A - 0 ... Could care less what it has for travel, I'm just gonna send it! Just pin it bud, I'm sure the EWS destroying machine will do just fine.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 23:41 Quote
Was able to check the Giant Reign 2 2018 model with 1x10 drivetrain and it climbs like a god damn pig(like you'd rather walk it than do anymore climbs). this beauty needs a 1x11 or a 1x12 otherwise... it seems like a sweet enduro rig Smile

btw is the handlebar width really 800mm even for the small? feels like a 780mm at most.

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 13:03 Quote
kyle618 wrote:
Was able to check the Giant Reign 2 2018 model with 1x10 drivetrain and it climbs like a god damn pig(like you'd rather walk it than do anymore climbs). this beauty needs a 1x11 or a 1x12 otherwise... it seems like a sweet enduro rig Smile

btw is the handlebar width really 800mm even for the small? feels like a 780mm at most.

The 1x12 eagle actually climbs very well. The fox dpx2 is really a well matched shock. I have not tried the version with the locker. but honsestly the fox setup works so well I have no desire to. I can see how a 1x10 would be tough work.

I just put on a set of bars cut to 780 and they are definitely smaller than the stockers. 800mm sounds right to me. But then again I am on a medium so cant comment on small.

For reference, I have vids of my demo 8 and 2018 giant reign advanced on the same trail. I am slower on the reign but it was my first ride on it. I have done a bunch more and can honestly say it is much faster in sections, pops the doubles way better and much easier. carries speed and accelerates like crazy. There are several doubles on that trail that I cannot pop on my downhill and on the reign it is zero effort. The spots where I lost time are the blind hucks into rock gardens, and persistent chunder. That is more me not being comfortable with what it will do, rather than what it is capable of. The downhill rig sorts out your mistakes and removes caution. I bet given a few more laps on that same trail and the times will be very close. if you factor in the climb.... the reign wins by 20 minutes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032878
Mobile Version of Website