roof racks

PB Forum :: Downhill
roof racks
O+
Posted: May 17, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
uhmmmm...hitches and racks don't pull things, they hold things off the ground and in the air. So the physical stress put on the connection (the 1 1/4" vs. the 2") is quite different.

I'm going to enjoy my new free Thule. Research and comparison (including pictures) coming soon.

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 20:58 Quote
powking12 wrote:
I'm not saying that the T2 is the best but it is better than the sportrack (which I actually think is made by Thule).

Look at www.northshoreracks.com

they look pretty beefy, but I haven't seen them in person.

Props for that. Those racks look SWEET.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 6:43 Quote
Sportrack 2-EZ
Check out this video from Rack outfitters. The guy shows how to use the rack but pay attention to what he says at the end of the video."Not as durable as other racks on the market. Geared for people who are not going to use it frequently."

Thule T-2 video

After watching these videos I'd say even the Rack Outfitter guy thinks the Thule is better than the Sportrack.

So Get-hucked666, are you going to deliver my free Thule rack? Ha,ha,ha

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 7:50 Quote
does the thule t2 hitch to the tow ball or to the tow bar of the car?

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
sparky18 wrote:
Sportrack 2-EZ
Check out this video from Rack outfitters. The guy shows how to use the rack but pay attention to what he says at the end of the video."Not as durable as other racks on the market. Geared for people who are not going to use it frequently."

*snip*

Thule T-2 video

*snip*

After watching these videos I'd say even the Rack Outfitter guy thinks the Thule is better than the Sportrack.

So Get-hucked666, are you going to deliver my free Thule rack? Ha,ha,ha

I must say i am impressed, and very well done those were good. But it doesn't PROVE a thing. Its one mans opinion, who keep in mind makes a living from the sales of racks. Now if he said " The EZ-2 is great, works for everyone" and didn't put it down would he sell more Thules or Sportracks?

He also only said its not good for Frequent use. So for all those 75% of people who don't live by a mountain and don't use it non-stop it wouldn't matter would it. Essentially the EZ-2 would be wrong for the people driving out each day or a few times a week.

Now don't get me wrong here, the Thule racks are great, they work great they're made great, but not 500$ justifiable great. The Thule t2 has those Grey plastic click strips to hold everything down, with buttons and straps and whatnot. The EZ-2 if you noticed is all steel, no buttons or straps, so yes you do have to buy your own straps but going back to what i said, unless your to caveman to go to a hardware store and buy some straps then i guess a 500$ rack is for you, for some people money works faster then brains. But essentially nothing in those videos PROVED that the Thule is superior to the EZ-2, with the exception of a Sales Persons opinion. So if a salespersons opinion counts then so does the customers.. so I say the EZ-2 rack is better so it must be.. Just making a point.

And to those who say putting wait in a trailer is a pulling strain not weight on the hitch, you need to take a closer look, when you tow 1000 pounds of stone lock wall in a trailer, you notice the back of the car sits low, this is the weight of the trailer pushing down the back of the car, can we imagine what connects the car and trailer together? maybe a hitch? well mines one and a quarter so i guess maybe there is no fault in them is there? no.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
sean2k8 wrote:
It attaches to the hitch, comes with a tow bar that slides into the hitch. So does the sportrack

bigquotesThe EZ-2 if you noticed is all steel, no buttons or straps,
The two dials that hold the frame hooks in place, are they not plastic? If they broke would the bikes not fall?

bigquotes Now if he said " The EZ-2 is great, works for everyone" and didn't put it down would he sell more Thules or Sportracks?
Do you think it matters to him what he sells? Most people that work in bike shops etc. don't make commision. He gets the same paycheck if he sells either rack.

A couple of other quotes from the sportrack video
"other levels of quality are available from Yakima and Thule"........
"(sportrack)is built to very high standards but is not going to be as durable as other racks on the market"

My opinion....Even if I showed you a video from the maker of Sportrack saying that the Thule is better, I'm sure you'd come up with an arguement that justifies your claim.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
sparky18 wrote:
sean2k8 wrote:
It attaches to the hitch, comes with a tow bar that slides into the hitch. So does the sportrack

will it fit on this type of hitch? i couldent picture what you mean.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.carxtras.co.uk/towbars-UK/towbars-uk.jpg

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 10:59 Quote
bigquotesMy opinion....Even if I showed you a video from the maker of Sportrack saying that the Thule is better, I'm sure you'd come up with an arguement that justifies your claim.

Not if he couldn't prove it.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
sean2k8 wrote:
sparky18 wrote:
sean2k8 wrote:

will it fit on this type of hitch? i couldent picture what you mean.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.carxtras.co.uk/towbars-UK/towbars-uk.jpg

No, this type of hitch.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/Sparky_18/Class-IV-Ultra-Frame.jpgYou need a 2 inch x 2 inch square or 1 1/4 inch x 1 1/4 inch square

O+
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 10:56 Quote
*********ROOF RACK EXPERT NEEDED*******************
I am dealing with a similar issue, except for I can't find out how much a roof rack system would cost. I have tried to do my own reasearch, but it seems like I can't get a solid answer from a website. I have a 1987 Honda accord 2dr hatchback... no seriously I do. I would be carrying 1 or 2 bikes that are just about 40LBS each. Can anyone help me? thanks

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
gnartail wrote:
I am dealing with a similar issue, except for I can't find out how much a roof rack system would cost. I have tried to do my own reasearch, but it seems like I can't get a solid answer from a website. I have a 1987 Honda accord 2dr hatchback... no seriously I do. I would be carrying 1 or 2 bikes that are just about 40LBS each. Can anyone help me? thanks
I am in the same boat my friend.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 13:18 Quote
jessman44 wrote:
gnartail wrote:
I am in the same boat my friend.

I think I may be able to help. I have a 2dr hatchback as well... 2001 Toyota Celica. IMHO don't get a roof rack, get a bolt on hitch (about 120) and a decent hitch rack (preferable tray style like the T2 in the above video) (costs around 300). But if you heart is set on a roof rack here is what you will need.

Bars
Towers/ Feet
Clamp (specific to your car)
Extension kit(allows mounting to shorter roofs such as mine and yours hatchback)
Bike carrier(s)

The bars run around 90
Towers are around the same
The clamps are like 20 for a set... and you need two sets of two (4 total)
stretch kit is about 120 i think
bike carriers run from 100 to 200.

this is all from memory... I work at a shop and got everything for my car at cost. I ended up paying a total of around 500. I also added the wind fairing which dramatically cuts down noise and wind resistance.

If you pay full price expect to pay much more for a decent set up.

I am selling my system and going to a hitch rack. if you are interested, most of the stuff i have should fit your car, PM me i can am willing to make a deal. If not, check out the Yakima website for a fit guide and to show the pars you will need.

Good luck.

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
Ok, now I see why you are having trouble finding a rack for it! I did some research, Thule used to make an attachment for your car, it was their 52 Fit Kit. They no longer make that, but I found it for 60 bucks on a google search(first link when searching 52 Fit Kit).

From there I would use Thules web site.

But, if you are unsure about that set up, I have seen people who literally just bolt on a roof rack. It is pretty permanent, but for a dedicated rider driving an older car, it could be a great solution.

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 at 13:04 Quote
Check out this bike rack its a sea sucker http://www.wildslobs.com/2012/07/seasucker-mini-bomber-review

FL
Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 16:38 Quote
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good $500 or less roof rack that would fit a sedan(06 Subaru wrx).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023536
Mobile Version of Website