Sore hands at edge of grip

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Sore hands at edge of grip
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 3:12 Quote
Morning folks,

I've a spesh Pitch (2011). I've been noticing quite a bit of hand pain out near the end of the grips. To the point where the grips are wearing twice as much out near the end, compared to the rest.

Anyone know how to get round this or what the cause is?

I know the old saying of 'man the f##l up' applies but I'm thinking its some to do with my height vs postion on the bike

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
Maybe wider bars would help you

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 7:36 Quote
try and rotate your handlebar, to give you more backsweep.

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 11:30 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
Maybe wider bars would help you

I agree. Try a wider bar and stop death gripping quite as much. If you have to death grip it the whole time, your suspension probably could use an adjustment.

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 17:21 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
try and rotate your handlebar, to give you more backsweep.

This, depending on how they're rotated you can get up sweep vs backsweep

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 7:27 Quote
Thanks guys. Will try the backsweep and see.

In terms of suspension, soften it up? Can't get her to suck the bumps up the way the pros do

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
redbaronmulisha wrote:

In terms of suspension, soften it up? Can't get her to suck the bumps up the way the pros do

Trail conditions have a lot to do with suspension setup. If it's really brake bumpy and you have your rebound set generally slow to absorb big hits, it's entirely possible that your suspension isn't able to recover before the next subsequent brake bump. This is called "packing up" and it makes things really harsh. Also, if your compression is TOO soft, you are essentially taking all of the feedback from the spring and none of the vibration is displaced via the damper. Also, obviously if compression is too firm, you get beat to hell as well and you lose traction. I would set the rebound half way, and open the compression completely and ride laps adding 1-2 clicks of compression till it feels good. Then if it's brake bumpy, remove 1 click of rebound damping until it feels smooth, but you still have control in landings. If it's a smooth course with very few brake bumps or rocks, add a little rebound damping for better control.

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 15:49 Quote
NickDHash wrote:
redbaronmulisha wrote:

Trail conditions have a lot to do with suspension setup. If it's really brake bumpy and you have your rebound set generally slow to absorb big hits, it's entirely possible that your suspension isn't able to recover before the next subsequent brake bump. This is called "packing up" and it makes things really harsh. Also, if your compression is TOO soft, you are essentially taking all of the feedback from the spring and none of the vibration is displaced via the damper. Also, obviously if compression is too firm, you get beat to hell as well and you lose traction. I would set the rebound half way, and open the compression completely and ride laps adding 1-2 clicks of compression till it feels good. Then if it's brake bumpy, remove 1 click of rebound damping until it feels smooth, but you still have control in landings. If it's a smooth course with very few brake bumps or rocks, add a little rebound damping for better control.

Also

Start with googling your shock/fork and look for initial tuning guides..

Then set "Sag" front/rear, THEN do what's outlined above..

If sag isn't set properly initially, the rest of the set-up doesn't mean much because it's not set to your weight..

Often times the setting are much lower than what you'd expect, remember you're trying to absorb things vs bounce off them..

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 17:28 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
NickDHash wrote:
redbaronmulisha wrote:

Also

Start with googling your shock/fork and look for initial tuning guides..

Then set "Sag" front/rear, THEN do what's outlined above..

If sag isn't set properly initially, the rest of the set-up doesn't mean much because it's not set to your weight..

Often times the setting are much lower than what you'd expect, remember you're trying to absorb things vs bounce off them..

Great point. On that note, if it's a 160 mm fork (or there about) I would set the fork to no less than 25% sag and no more than 30%.
If it's a 170mm or above I would go 30%.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 0:47 Quote
Thanks again for your replies. Tried the bars swept back last night and it definitely feels better, slowed the rebound down a bit too which felt a lot more controlled than before.

I do need to get my head round tuning the forks and shock better. Compression would be the amount of air in the fork? Rebound is the dial under the fork.

Thanks guys

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 6:55 Quote
Find your fork/shock on the manufacturer site, theres usually an initial set-up guide..

First you need to set Sag (the amount of air in the fork/shock or on a coil shock, how many turns of the coil collars)

Then all of the other settings fall in line after..

Blue knobs are usually compression and adjust how much resistance you have against bumps
Red knobs are usually rebound and control how fast the shock/fork snaps back after a bump..

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011876
Mobile Version of Website