Problems with Crankbrothers Highline Dropper Post

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Problems with Crankbrothers Highline Dropper Post
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
Happy to report mine is still flawless...

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
It definitely the cable drag on mine. It doesn’t have enough oomph to pull the cable back with conviction. No issue with mine either, the cable and housing were brand new and flawless

Posted: Jun 4, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
I have been reading this thread as my Highline started creeping after only 5 months. I tried putting loads of the CB grease on the blue plastic, a new inner and outer but it didn't stop the creeping. I contacted CB who responded quickly and put me onto the UK distributor Extra UK. They had some of the stronger springs and sent me one quickly. Unfortunately that didn't cure it either.

I started to play around with the position of the actuator. When I line it up and push it in, the line is already very close to one of the arrows. If I leave it like this then mechanism is always open (even without attaching the cable to the lever) and the post goes up and down freely. If I turn the actuator half a turn and line up the line to the arrow on the other side then the post works most of the time but creeps. When I push the lever, the post mechanism opens without much cable pull from the lever. I then turned the actuator 1 whole turn and lined up the line to the arrow and it is so far (2 rides in) working properly again without any creep. The lever needs to be pushed more and pull more cable before the mechanism opens which tells me that half a turn was right on the limit between the mechanism opening and closing. The feel at the lever and the way the post operates seems better now and I am pretty sure it is sorted. I hope this helps someone if they have the same issue.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
Right, so the dropper was great for a few rides and now it is back how it was before but actually worse. It's creeping back up faster and higher then before. I guess it will be a warranty job Frown

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
I ended up hacking a bunch of housing off of my setup which streamlined the routing and fixed my issue.

Really wish it were more robust in the cable department because aside from that, I like everything else about the post.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 3:22 Quote
Wow, I’m glad I read this thread as I was just about to get one (CRC £150 160mm drop) on offer, think I’m gonna get something different now though ????

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Just picked up my bike to go for a ride and the dropper started to drop when I sat on the saddle! So thinking it was pretty much unrideable I took it out and found that there was a kink in the cable near the bottom of the post, which explains what was happening (it was a new cable too). So another new cable put in and it is back to working fine again. Let's see if keeps working...

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
The issue still returned when riding. The stiffer spring helped and now so long as I snap the remote after pressing it the seat holds.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
Mine was good for a ride and then started to creep again, guess it is a warranty claim Frown

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
Crank Brothers products having issues? No way!

Would never buy anything from those guys. Half ass company with really cool looking products.

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
I've been messing with my 160 mm highline for over a year. Very early on I had to switch up to the firmer spring kit under warranty. It helped, but wasn't perfect. Tension of any kind on the housing system jacked everything up - leading to a possessed dropper that would behave in erratic ways. I think today I finally figured it out. The alignment stickers placed on the dropper for the grey plastic collar to align with are not correct. With the post removed from the cable, you can manually set the rotating valve anywhere you want with needle nose pliers and cycle the post up and down by pressing the base against something solid and pushing down on your saddle. I just started moving the valve around until I found its fully closed and fully opened positions and made my own registration marks to align the grey collar up with. I think this should be the very first step in trouble shooting dropper issues. If you can get it cycle properly both full open and fully closed without the cable actuation, then you know its actually cable/collar alignment issues and not the post itself. The dropper works a peach now - super fast return, and a quicker drop with less resistance - its NEVER worked this smooth. That damn alignment sticker has been f'ing me from day one. What a stupid system - what happens when the sticker finally falls off?

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
Good find. I inspected mine and sure enough the sticker is misaligned with the actual closed position. But you can check the alignment even easier than making your own marks:

Just plug the actuator into the bottom of the post and turn it clockwise until it stops.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
eicca wrote:
Good find. I inspected mine and sure enough the sticker is misaligned with the actual closed position. But you can check the alignment even easier than making your own marks:

Just plug the actuator into the bottom of the post and turn it clockwise until it stops.

Mine just spins freely, there's not a hard stop. It must be stuck on "twirl".

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
watermonkey wrote:

Mine just spins freely, there's not a hard stop. It must be stuck on "twirl".

Hate to tell you but you might be on your way to a cartridge replacement. I had one that worked great for a while, then started giving me trouble. I eventually found my actuator to be spinning freely with no stops, and did what you did where I found the fully open and closed positions. This only proved to be a temporary fix as these positions seem to move around over time as if something inside the cartridge was spinning that isn't supposed to.
Solution: Contact Crank Bros and they will have a new cartridge out to you in a few days. Solved my problem and its been trouble free ever since.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
Thanks for the feedback - I'm not sure this thing ever had stops on the valving, been fighting this from day one. Request into CB for a new cartridge.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009929
Mobile Version of Website