PHOTO CRITIQUE by lunatyk

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
PHOTO CRITIQUE by lunatyk
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 4:31 Quote
hi there,

from time to time, i receive requests from various pinkbike users to let them know what my thoughts are about their photographs. i thought to myself that i could take it to the next level and create this thread, so it's available to anyone who's interested in hearing my impressions.

i am happy to do reviews and critique, but by all means, i do NOT see myself as some sort of self-proclaimed photo-guru, mega-expert or judge of any kind.

i just happen to love photography, especially mountain biking photography, have seen quite a lot, shot a few fairly good photos myself, too [hopefully!].

and most importantly, i remember those days when i started and how meaningful it was to me to hear somebody's opinion as well as how eager i was to get tips and advices from someone who was much more experienced that i was back then...

there's only ONE RULE - one photo per photographer at the time.

ok, let's see where this thread will take us...

look forward to seeing your photos!

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 13:35 Quote
I'm excited to get this thread going, Hoping we can build up a little community of photographers!

Here is a shot I took last fall while visiting a friends cottage, Nothing fancy just a simple shot of my friend Chris Morrel doing what he does best, going high. I hadn't really planned on shooting photos but on my 3rd run down the jumps I took a heavy slam and ended up hiding out in this little patch of shade and found this composition. So I grabbed my camera and asked Chris if he could do a few big airs for me.
Chris Morell doing what he does best

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 16:01 Quote
Awesome! Thanks Simon for making this. I bet Matt was getting a little overwhelmed in the POD thread. Just gonna throw one out from my Deep Summer nomination.
Brent dropping into some steep mountain lines. Climbing down to get these shots was a task but it was worth it.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 3:27 Quote
guancho-libre wrote:
I'm excited to get this thread going, Hoping we can build up a little community of photographers!

Here is a shot I took last fall while visiting a friends cottage, Nothing fancy just a simple shot of my friend Chris Morrel doing what he does best, going high. I hadn't really planned on shooting photos but on my 3rd run down the jumps I took a heavy slam and ended up hiding out in this little patch of shade and found this composition. So I grabbed my camera and asked Chris if he could do a few big airs for me.
Chris Morell doing what he does best

ok, here we go...

first impression is very positive. i like everything about this photo, but it's not flawless, in my modest opinion.

you surely know how to shoot a good photo, you care about composition, front and background, light, highlights/shadows, sharpness, etc.

what i'd try to do here is to place a rider to the top left corner of the photo. i guess, this would make a good balance in the shot.

secondly, [and this is my head only] - i don't like "cutting off" objects in photos. would be nicer, if you'd take a step or two back and get it all in the frame. small thing, but would truly improve a general feeling.

from a regular viewer point of view, a stronger trick would definitely make this shot even more interesting, but not every rider can be a top dirt jumper. and rider's skills are obviously out of photographer's hands.

overall, really good work!

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 3:59 Quote
CoffeeHouseMedia wrote:
Awesome! Thanks Simon for making this. I bet Matt was getting a little overwhelmed in the POD thread. Just gonna throw one out from my Deep Summer nomination.
Brent dropping into some steep mountain lines. Climbing down to get these shots was a task but it was worth it.

hey, dude! first of all, mad respect to you! when i was in your age, i used to spend months in front of tv playing video-games... i am watching your progress closely and you are most definitely going in the right direction.

that's a solid shot, but it's not screaming to me, if you know what i mean...

you could experiment a bit more, going lower and closer to the rider.

would be cool to see this photo taken even wider to show more of the roost, the sky is looking nice and dramatic, but you completely ignored it and overall, the amazing scenery.

the rider in the shot is soft, it lacks sharpness, which disqualifies this shot, unfortunately. but it's strange, since your aperture is f11. why so high, anyway?

but don't worry too much, we all make mistakes...

just looked at one of my photos in similar conditions and it also is far from being perfect hahaha

next time, pre-focus with a rider standing in the spot or use continuous focus, which will make your framing less accurate, but will improve the sharpness of the main subject.

that's what i did when i was in a situation like this.

lastly, try not to shoot riders wearing any mounts. looks like this session was in controlled conditions, so it means you were able to ask your buddy to do another run without the chesty.

lastly, don't be afraid to process your photos more vividly - tweak that contrast button a little bit more, but keep it tasteful, of course.

hope it helps...

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 9:06 Quote
Awesome thanks so much. I believe I prefocused but it was more of a rough estimate (probably why I used such a high aperture). Will definitely used the technique you said!

Also, do you recommend any super wide angle or fisheye lenses that would be useful? I usually shoot with a Canon 7dmkii which has a crop sensor, and the 17-40 lens, so finding a super wide one seems really beneficial.

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 15:07 Quote
Thanks for the review, didn't even notice I had the notification.

I see exactly what you're saying, especially about cutting off objects. I was trying to get the whole ramp in but I think I got too obsessed with having that dark shadow cutting across the bottom of the photo.
I was also trying to get the rider closer to the top right of the photo because of the tree on the left, I wanted to have a little pocket of sky to make the rider stand out a lot more, do you think that would have worked just as well as placing the rider on the top left like you suggested?

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 3:43 Quote
guancho-libre wrote:
I was also trying to get the rider closer to the top right of the photo because of the tree on the left, I wanted to have a little pocket of sky to make the rider stand out a lot more, do you think that would have worked just as well as placing the rider on the top left like you suggested?

sorry for confusing here a little, i was thought that when looking at photos and their sides, we're talking like photos would be another person standing in front of you, facing forward to you.

so basically, we're talking about exactly the same corner, but looking at it from different "perspectives" hahaha

essentially, yes - would be good to side the rider more on that blue thing ( :

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 19:58 Quote
Bkue thing is a very technical term, I'll have to start using that one. lol

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
I'll throw one in for consideration...

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 16:49 Quote
Hi!

This past week I have been on a roadtrip through western Norway with my brother, and I caught this panorama shot of some sunset riding one night. I think it turned out pretty good, even though I regret not taking more shots to the left of the rider. Do you have any comments?

Thanks!

Sunset riding on Mefjellet M re og Romsdal Norway. Instagram.com esphav

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 0:39 Quote
jpetznick wrote:
I'll throw one in for consideration...

hey,

it's a really good shot in my opinion. all the technical aspects are spot on and there's nothing i'd change in this shot.
those "tunnel" shots are always pleasing to the eye and this one is no exception.

surely, this big pole in the far background is annoying, but there's not much you can do about it, if you want to preserve this particular framing.

i used to shoot similar photos back in the day, but recently i decided not to shoot photos with so much "dead space".
in this situation, i'd still like to keep this type of a composition, but i'd zoom in more into the action, keeping a nice blur on the left.

this definitely could be a pod material, if the rider was a pinner.

keep on shooting!

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 1:01 Quote
espenh wrote:
Hi!

This past week I have been on a roadtrip through western Norway with my brother, and I caught this panorama shot of some sunset riding one night. I think it turned out pretty good, even though I regret not taking more shots to the left of the rider. Do you have any comments?

Thanks!

Sunset riding on Mefjellet M re og Romsdal Norway. Instagram.com esphav

wow! this is just great!

to be perfectly honest, a while back, i was thinking of using the some panorama technique for action shots, as well.

really like your execution and the epic sunset in norwegian fiords is just for a sweet bonus.

as you mentioned it, yes it would be good to see at least one more frame to the left. i think this shot would be pretty much perfect, if you have started to shoot one more frame to the left and finished one frame earlier.

i can imagine that doing many re-takes of this kind of photo is labor intensive, but i'd like to see the rider in a different part of this trail, maybe going fast on the next turn to where he's now?

i have looked through your album from this roadtrip and seen a few more beautiful panoramic shots.

thanks for a really good inspiration to do something like this on my own!

anyway, this is an innovative shot and i'm happy to post it as a pod.

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 4:42 Quote
[Quote="lunatyk"]
espenh wrote:
Hi!

Thanks!

*photo*

wow! this is just great!

to be perfectly honest, a while back, i was thinking of using the some panorama technique for action shots, as well.

really like your execution and the epic sunset in norwegian fiords is just for a sweet bonus.

as you mentioned it, yes it would be good to see at least one more frame to the left. i think this shot would be pretty much perfect, if you have started to shoot one more frame to the left and finished one frame earlier.

i can imagine that doing many re-takes of this kind of photo is labor intensive, but i'd like to see the rider in a different part of this trail, maybe going fast on the next turn to where he's now?

i have looked through your album from this roadtrip and seen a few more beautiful panoramic shots.

thanks for a really good inspiration to do something like this on my own!

anyway, this is an innovative shot and i'm happy to post it as a pod.

Wow, thanks! Hearing feedback like this is really inspiring!
I tried making a few different versions; one where I simply cropped the picture differently, and one where I used a photo of the rider further down the trail. However, I found it difficult to make the rider stand out in that picture without making it look unnatural.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback!

Version 3 - Instagram.com esphav

Version 2 - Instagram.com esphav

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 17:44 Quote
I am generally a ski and landscape photographer... Just getting in to mountain bike photography this summer.

Much of the summer here in B.C., we have had some crazy smoke and valley haze from the forrest fires. Tried to use that as a key feature of this image.

Ridgeline manual through the smokey Whistler valley

Open to suggestions or comments!

Thanks,

John Entwistle

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041848
Mobile Version of Website