PHOTO CRITIQUE by lunatyk

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
PHOTO CRITIQUE by lunatyk
Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 22:51 Quote
hey,

sorry for a slow reply, i am away and the internet connection down here is painfully slow...

anyway, welcome to the club! it's good to see another top notch photographer being interested in mountain biking.
must say, your portfolio is very impressive!

back to the photo...

surely, as most of the people, i think this shot is great! big mountain riding over an epic vistas, all soaked in a beautiful sunlight.

this is a personal thing, but i would try crank up yellow colour to make it even warmer. a little more time in colour correction could make this shot nice and vivid. obviously, the light conditions you shot it are pretty hard, but with a bit of lightroom this could be nicely done.

would you be interested in sending me a raw file just to see of what would be my take on this particular photograph?

nonetheless, 9/10. expect it to be a pod really soon! ( :

many thanks for sharing it with us.

entwistlephoto wrote:
I
Ridgeline manual through the smokey Whistler valley

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 15:29 Quote
Binckbank Tour 2017 - second stage TT Voorburg the Netherlands.

No pod options with the lycra going on but that doesn't matter. Any feedback is more than welcome!

Cheers!

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 23:38 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

i must say that you gave me a serious challenge hahaha

to be honest, i have close to none experience of shooting road bikes events.
however, i have shoot a fair bit of road riding and know something about it.

anyways, this is a good photo, but doesn't stand out much, in my modest opinion.

everything is proper in all technical aspects, the rider is sharp, there's real sense of movement, depth of field is nicely deep... props for doing this in such harsh weather conditions!

but besides technical form this photo is not too interesting. and for me it happens mainly because of your background choice. of course, i am perfectly aware that the spectators area was limited, but i'd still ltry to ook for more 'head-on' angle.

this shot is a text-book photo, in a funny way, too text-book for my taste, if this makes sense...

for example, this photo is way better and much more pleasing to look at.

i just don't know why do you limit yourself with shooting in 'portrait' mode? i guess it's a personal choice, but action shots look nicer in 'landscape' mode.

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 1:47 Quote
Cheers for the feedback, I get your point regarding the textbook remark.

Portrait mode gives me a little bit more room to play with when they approach. These guys are doing around 60km an hour and personally I like to get the the rider and the complete bike on the photo. I don't like cut off wheels etc.

I did shot a few landscape ones as well that turned out nicely imo:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15033482/

For peloton pictures I do use landscape more often since it's a bunch of riders together.

Thanks again!

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 9:47 Quote
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback (and the POD!!!)

Interesting on your comment of making the picture warmer... I tend to receive a lot of feedback, mainly from publications, about images being too over processed... I guess there is a difference of when you are actually in the moment, and witness the vibrance and colour of a spot. I am pretty consistent with my warmth and saturation in lightroom, which I guess is something that I could probably get to a slightly more consistent style. As stated - I usually shoot skiing, which is a lot of white!

Here is one where I tried boosting the warmth and colour a bit... Interested on your thoughts.

Summer in the bike park

lunatyk wrote:
hey,

sorry for a slow reply, i am away and the internet connection down here is painfully slow...

anyway, welcome to the club! it's good to see another top notch photographer being interested in mountain biking.
must say, your portfolio is very impressive!

back to the photo...

surely, as most of the people, i think this shot is great! big mountain riding over an epic vistas, all soaked in a beautiful sunlight.

this is a personal thing, but i would try crank up yellow colour to make it even warmer. a little more time in colour correction could make this shot nice and vivid. obviously, the light conditions you shot it are pretty hard, but with a bit of lightroom this could be nicely done.

would you be interested in sending me a raw file just to see of what would be my take on this particular photograph?

nonetheless, 9/10. expect it to be a pod really soon! ( :

many thanks for sharing it with us.

entwistlephoto wrote:
I
Ridgeline manual through the smokey Whistler valley

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2017 at 12:48 Quote
Hey Simon,

Interested in your thoughts on the following 3 images. We built this jump specifically for a photo shoot due to it's location in the high alpine. It ended up being quite the challenge for the riders, as the jump was MASSIVE. the shrubs and greenery made it look slightly smaller than it was, but I think we still pulled off a couple of shots:

Building jumps to maximize photo epicness

Thanks!

John E

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 23:01 Quote
Hey, i messaged you a while back, only just now getting around to tossing something up here. This is a pretty textbook silhouette shot, it was my attempt to take a "different" picture on crab apple.
Josh whipping into the sunset

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 0:23 Quote
Hey!
I shoot a lot of urban photography but don't get to shoot mtb as much as I'd like. Would be awesome to get some construction on this though : )
Cheers

Misty morning in the UK. The fallen leaves make for some great fun.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 12:46 Quote
entwistlephoto wrote:
hey, john

i must say that i really dig your photographic style... you do what i really like doing myself - "taking a step back and showing the whole scene, atmosphere, ambience".

any good play with foreground is always welcomed in my eyes.

however, i can't totally agree with the way your process the photos. as per usual, this is purely my own opinion, but i find them a bit too overdone. maybe too much clarity or you simply tweak too much here and there?

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
darwinmercuryritchie wrote:
hey there!

thanks for joining our topic.

yeah, this is definitely one of your strongest photos and despite it has a couple flaws in it, i really like it, as well.

good things:
- action
- colours
- silhouette
- composition

bad things
- underexposed
- branch in top-right corner
- not paying attention to details in the photo

first thing, i'd change here is the frame. definitely would get rid of that distracting branch in the top corner.
secondly, i'd prefer to frame it differently, probably closer to the rider. you've chosen a very good and flattering rider's style angle, but he's a bit too far away to my personal taste.

i also like how you stick to the rules of thirds, props for that!

basically, what this shot needs is a proper re-framing and a little tweak of brightness in lightroom.

lastly, it's probably my own o.c.d., but i hate cutting things on the edges of a photo. might be my own problem, but i like keeping things clean in the shot.

hope this helps!

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 at 11:10 Quote
Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

photo

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 20:20 Quote
hey lunatyk,

i will try my luck since im trying to grow up in mountain bike photography!
Here is mine:

Typical landscapes during the Parque Ecol gico Trail built by FreeRide Madeira Crew. Tiago Nunes 2017

thanks you for doing this, i really appreciate.

cheers mate!

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 22:47 Quote
lunatyk wrote:
darwinmercuryritchie wrote:
hey there!

thanks for joining our topic.

yeah, this is definitely one of your strongest photos and despite it has a couple flaws in it, i really like it, as well.

good things:
- action
- colours
- silhouette
- composition

bad things
- underexposed
- branch in top-right corner
- not paying attention to details in the photo

first thing, i'd change here is the frame. definitely would get rid of that distracting branch in the top corner.
secondly, i'd prefer to frame it differently, probably closer to the rider. you've chosen a very good and flattering rider's style angle, but he's a bit too far away to my personal taste.

i also like how you stick to the rules of thirds, props for that!

basically, what this shot needs is a proper re-framing and a little tweak of brightness in lightroom.

lastly, it's probably my own o.c.d., but i hate cutting things on the edges of a photo. might be my own problem, but i like keeping things clean in the shot.

hope this helps!

Hey, Man thanks for the critique. Ill definitely be taking note of those those points.
With the branch in the top corner i was kinda trying to frame the rider with the the outlines of the trees, it didn't exactly work out though. I recently shot some more photos in the bike park, and i think this is a much better example of a framed photo
Josh smashing a corner on rock city

FL
Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 19:59 Quote
Hey again Simon. I've got a technical question regarding sunsets. Is there any equipment/technique to washing out the sun or make it look fuller? In some recent photos I got, the sun was a a blob in the shot. It wasn't quite at the stage to jack up the aperture nor bright enough to wash out the rest of the image. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
 DH-Racer-GC pushing through the end of this rock garden we found on the side of the highway.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 2:18 Quote
Hi Simon
Thanks for selecting that Zermatt shot as a POD a few days back!!

I thought I might throw in a shot as well. Those two shots are my favorites from a day out around Lenzerheide. It would be interesting to hear your opinion about them:

Bahnentour Arosa Lenzerheide

Bahnentour Arosa Lenzerheide

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029867
Mobile Version of Website