SRAM Rear derailleur Roller Bearing Clutch DEBATE: v2.1 vs v3

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
SRAM Rear derailleur Roller Bearing Clutch DEBATE: v2.1 vs v3
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 7:37 Quote
Hello,
Im replacing my rear derailleur from XT Shadow M8000 to SRAM GX or GX eagle.
I dont mind the weight, I dont mind the material, I just care about the chainslap and noise control (aka clutch).
The XT M8000 shadow dissapointed me badly, (tryed to harden /soften the clutch, played with chainlenght, taped all the chainstay...) too noisy.

So, the question: is the new version v3 clutch (which is on the newest Eagle's) that much better than the earlier v2.1? Does it worth to upgrade the whole drivertrain to 1x12 and spend a fortune? ... as im on 1x11 and its just enough for me, dont need more gears. And obviously I want to spend as little as possible.

Anyone tried both?

Thanks

Mod Plus
Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
I'm not sure that you'll find the solution to your chainslap woes by switching to a SRAM derailleur – the amount of resistance provided by SRAM's clutch mechanism isn't drastically different than what's provided by a Shimano Shadow derailleur. If anything, there's less resistance than what you'd be able to achieve by tightening down the clutch on a Shimano derailleur.

That being said, if you have your heart set on a SRAM derailleur, don't forget that you'll need a new shifter too – Shimano shifters and SRAM derailleurs don't play nicely together due to the different cable pull ratios. If you're happy with your current gear ratio, I wouldn't rush out to buy an Eagle drivetrain, especially since you're looking to spend as little as possible.

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 10:23 Quote
Other options...

-Put mastic, or some kind of chan stay protector on .. this will eliminate the noise (this will be the cheapest, easiest and most fool proof option)

-Consider you chain length.. can you remove a link? are you running a long cage? could you run a medium cage instead?

..Otherwise, just do what Pink Bike Mike says. Salute

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 13:54 Quote
What bike is it on? That might be part of your issue and what type of riding are you doing. If you're bombing downhill on a bike with a chain close to the stay, either DR will be ineffective.

If you're running an orange with an elevated single pivot, we might be wondering what they heck you're doing to get chain slap in the first place.

If you find yourself deep on the cassette and that is when you're getting a lot of slap (compared to mid cassette), then consider going with a bigger chain ring and weigh those options, if you're chain is angled to a higher degree then you'll be less likely to have the movement in the chain result in slap. There are the consequences of what a larger ring will do to range or your suspension kinematics.

But that is for another dork to discuss.

I've had xx1 eagle and went back to XT. the eagle clutch is better and the system is quiet. not worth a massive cost though. GX FTW

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 at 9:33 Quote
@mikekazimer Thanks for reply, I allready ordered a cheaper NX shifter with the derailleur for the time being.

@cmcrawfo I wrapped my chainstay all around with innertube, water tight, my chain is the shortest possible, I have 11-40 cassette with medium caged derailleur... so that is not the case.

@raditude You probably did hit the nail in the head.
The bike is a Trek Remedy 9 which is a trail bike, and im riding mainly downhill yeah.
I do find myself deep in the cassette, I use 8th or 9th gear. I was thinking to get a bigger ring up front, but I climb a lot as well...

The main problem is actually not the chainslap, its a bang that the derailleur makes, as I land jumps or going down on roots and rocks, and the derailleur body moves down then bangs back up.. If that makes sense. Sram derailleurs operates a bit differently (different pivot points), that is why I hoped for a quieter solutiuon.

I tryed a friends bike with Sram Eagle on, rode on the same trail im riding mine, and his derailleur was much quieter. As I read the comments on the other post, everyone had the best experience with the eagle derailleurs, and apparently non-eagle and shimano clutch performs more or less the same... Save up some more, then go for cheaper GX eagle..

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018913
Mobile Version of Website