1 x 11 Drivetrain Issue

PB Forum :: Beginners
1 x 11 Drivetrain Issue
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 6:27 Quote
Apologies if this question is raised elsewhere, but I could not find any information on it....

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding 1 x 11 drive trains. I have just bought my son a 27.5" + hardtail as his first "proper" mountain bike. It came with a 1 x 11 drive train, I believe, to allow for clearance between the tyre and the chain when on the largest ring on the cassette. I have no personal experience of a 1 x 11 drivetrain, but I bought the bike as I felt it would give my inexperienced son a good level of confidence with the additional grip and role over ability that the 27.5" plus tire size would offer.

However, on our first ride out, when crawling up some steep rocky slopes in 1st gear it became apparent that if he "stalled out" and need to back pedal to get his feet into a good position for most power, as he back pedalled the chain would go from 1st gear to 4th or 5th due to the alignment of the single ring at the front with the cassette. Obsiously when he then tried to apply power the derailleur would then try to shift back to 1st. I spent time drilling into him not to be applying too much power when changing gear due to wear/damage that can occur.

Has anyone else come across this issue? And How have you got around it? Obviously the simple thing is to not back pedal but at some point, especially as a beginner, it becomes a necessity. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 7:22 Quote
Chain drop, while back pedaling, is a common issue with 1x set ups.

2 ways to fix / lessen its impact.

1. Dont back pedal.
2. Attempt to correct the chain line. (easier on some bikes than others) ... either a offset chain ring, or chain ring spacers can help bring the chain line into a more neutral position. Some cranks have the ability to adjust chainline by moving spacers...

That said... No matter how correct the chain line is, if you back pedal hard enough and often enough you will drop a chain.

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 at 3:37 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Chain drop, while back pedaling, is a common issue with 1x set ups.

2 ways to fix / lessen its impact.

1. Dont back pedal.
2. Attempt to correct the chain line. (easier on some bikes than others) ... either a offset chain ring, or chain ring spacers can help bring the chain line into a more neutral position. Some cranks have the ability to adjust chainline by moving spacers...

That said... No matter how correct the chain line is, if you back pedal hard enough and often enough you will drop a chain.

Thanks for the feedback, I kinda thought this would be the case as i recognise it is an alignment issue. IF i can change the alignment of the chain ring to be more in line with the lower gears, my fear is that the chain could become very close to the tyre. So will probably just have to live with it an try to teach my son a riding style to minimise any back pedal.

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 3:43 Quote
i encountered the same issue with my 1x11 (sram gx). after countless hours of adjusting i read somewhere that the powerlock could cause this if it is not installed facing the right direction (small arrow should point in driving direction). After changing that no more chaindropping while back pedaling occured.

maybe it works for you as well

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009099
Mobile Version of Website