MBUK - Is it getting worse? Also now a discussion on the idea of a pinkbike .pdf magazine for UK users,

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
MBUK - Is it getting worse? Also now a discussion on the idea of a pinkbike .pdf magazine for UK users,
Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 7:31 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
marquis wrote:
rampage97 wrote:
sorry have to desagree.great mag.you get free stof.and theres always somthing new

The free stuff is worth as much as recycled toilet paper,back in the day you got decent free stuff like recycled pedros tyre levers,the free tyre levers i got this time around lasted 2 seconds.

I remember those badboys must have been around 95. they were made from plastic milk bottles it was a sad day when I lost them.

Yes those and that long Eek

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 7:31 Quote
danrack wrote:
Could not agree more with the lumberjack.

DIRT is superb, MBUK this month teaches you how to wheelie! they have to give away free stuff every issue to get people who should know better to buy it.

Mbuk is a beginners mag,dirt is for seasoned riders.

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 11:13 Quote
Future Publishing (MBUK's owner) biggest cycling title is now "Cycling Monthly"

its way ahead of any MTB mag on the UK market, which tells you something about the growth of road cycling (or at least the roadies buying mags), and the decline of mountain bikers buying mags

personally? I won't waste any money on MTB mags, I would prefer to get my info on the WWW where its much more timely, relevant and interactive, and if anyone at work has a copy of Dirt lying about I will have a look...

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 11:47 Quote
It has to be dirt - if anything i but it for the photography which is great for patching up shoddy student accomadation plastering!!

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 12:12 Quote
how much does dirt cost whit a year subsciption. have loock trhough it some times when its in the shop.

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 1:52 Quote
ummmm - about £35 i think slightly less - and for that you get a years issues and the dirt 100 as well as a free subscirber gift which seems to be the norm atm! dont quote me on that as obviously i do not work for Dirt(tm) or its affiliates and these prices are subject to change Wink

its a bloody good deal though in my opinion Smile

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 9:49 Quote
whays the dirt100

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 12:46 Quote
uhhh! blashemy - basically a componentry and frmae/bike bible comprising of the dirt staff's 100 favourite bikes/frames/forks/shocks/wheels/helmets/bars etc etc etc from that year inc why there worth the cash thats asked and a comparison with other standout products - like a who's who of components each season with only the cream included in -

a great toilet read if nothing else Wink thoughs are some seriously sexy staightline chainguides ooohohhh

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 13:15 Quote
thelumberjack wrote:
uhhh! blashemy - basically a componentry and frmae/bike bible comprising of the dirt staff's 100 favourite bikes/frames/forks/shocks/wheels/helmets/bars etc etc etc from that year inc why there worth the cash thats asked and a comparison with other standout products - like a who's who of components each season with only the cream included in -

a great toilet read if nothing else Wink thoughs are some seriously sexy staightline chainguides ooohohhh

something the "public" don't realise about the Dirt 100 is that companies actually have to pay Dirt to have their products featured in there!

its basically a paid-for advertisement issue of the mag, they make good $$ from that gig at Dirt Wink

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 13:18 Quote
oh b@*&&cks!!!

Thank you sir for shedding that particualr gem - i may have to stop my cocnstant use of their website etc as that is not very public at all and much is made of the "these our fav products / personally stand by them blah blah blah"

just might have to go and drop that bomb onto their sites foruma and gauge the reaction........

the bandit strikes again!

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 13:24 Quote
oh and it strikes me a lot of the stuff in the dirt100 is a little sales pitchy - my suspicions were aroused though i blindly shrugged them of when it was claimed that "the 55 rc2 ti (marz) solves the biggest problem with coil forks - weight"

i almost bought some on these grounds and as a ti spring sounds awesome untill i realized the cheaper longer travel lyrik rc2dh coil's i have boasting 170mm are almost 300g lighter!!

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 13:28 Quote
thelumberjack wrote:
oh b@*&&cks!!!

Thank you sir for shedding that particualr gem - i may have to stop my cocnstant use of their website etc as that is not very public at all and much is made of the "these our fav products / personally stand by them blah blah blah"

just might have to go and drop that bomb onto their sites foruma and gauge the reaction........

the bandit strikes again!

well here's the thing...when I worked for Freeborn I asked my boss "why don't we get any of our stuff in the Dirt 100 issues?"

we were importing Banshee bikes (Mythic for UK), Ellsworth bikes, Devinci bikes and Stans No-tubes (tubeless conversion) and all the brands were doing great business in the UK with lots of riders raving about their bikes / frames / parts

Dirt actually tested some of the frames and bikes and loved them, but they never appeared in the Dirt 100?

he said "I don't want to pay Dirt alot of £££ to advertise my brands in their Dirt 100 issues..."

ah ha....

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 13:30 Quote
fair play

currently feeling like a crazy fool Frown

grrrrrr....... bleedin marketing scum!! lol - at least mbuk dont do a 100 otherwise halfords would get a look in Wink

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 15:04 Quote
marquis wrote:
skawt-1 wrote:
If the 97 relates to the year you were born you were about 7 or 8 when MBUK was actually good and the free stuff you got was awesome!

I hear they are now reviewing apollo and argos catalogue bikes too? lol

Yep in this months edition.

Eek I may have to pick up a copy and see for myself! lol didn't think it'd get THAT mediocre.

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 16:05 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

well here's the thing...when I worked for Freeborn I asked my boss "why don't we get any of our stuff in the Dirt 100 issues?"

we were importing Banshee bikes (Mythic for UK), Ellsworth bikes, Devinci bikes and Stans No-tubes (tubeless conversion) and all the brands were doing great business in the UK with lots of riders raving about their bikes / frames / parts

Dirt actually tested some of the frames and bikes and loved them, but they never appeared in the Dirt 100?

he said "I don't want to pay Dirt alot of £££ to advertise my brands in their Dirt 100 issues..."

ah ha....

And now you've let the cat out of the bag about how the magazine industry works, everyone can finally work out why flexy, old school Orange Fives keep getting rated in the UK press. Smile
Magazines aren't in the business of helping you buy a bike with independent advice, they're in the business of selling magazines and making money. Simple. I've worked in the magazine industry long enough...take everything you read purely as entertainment.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037255
Mobile Version of Website