Post your Propain!

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 3:43 Quote
Wow, looking great Schummy! How's your neck feeling Huw?

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 10:02 Quote
Hey everyone,

So I was really lucky and came into some money, around £3000. The curse of it though is that I endlessly search for the best bike and best spec I can get etc. It's a nightmare. It's all for a bike that's for sure and yesterday I was nearly all set to pull the trigger on a bird aeris 145LT, I still might to be fair. I currently have a Genius LT 710 Plus which is a great bike but it's a medium and at 178cm tall I find it feels a bit short for me. I briefly owned a 2016 Capra Al in Large and the reach and wheelbase was nice but the seat tube was annoyingly just a bit high, it was workable with a 125mm dropper for pedaling but not fully out of the way on the downs.

So, I want something with the reach of my DH bike (Myst team) or more and a low seat tube which is why bird was in the frame, also on the shortlist are strive CF 8.0 which with a race licence is 3249, Torque CF 8.0, Bird Aeris 145LT, Bird AM9, Nukeproof mega 275 Pro. I race DH and want my enduro bike to feel close to my DH bike yet allow me to race enduros, ride with my mates just around trail centres, natural rides and training rides etc.

So this is a really long winded way of asking, how does the Spindrift deal with geberal riding? It's obvious that it's a beast downhill which I love. But will it cope with laps of FOD or messing about off piste down there, rides in the lakes/wales/scotland on the mountains, think Welsh Gravity Enduro stages as well. That sort of thing.

The issues I can see is 180mm may be just too muchand the lockout on the shock is not within reach really. Other than that it's just sizing. I'm the age old drama of being 178 cm and 32 leg. The numbers would point to the medium to be honest but large could be an option perhaps, anyone in the same boat?

I'm looking to spec it rockshox front and rear with the superdeluxe RC3 out back as I've read all the posts here about coils and I'm about 90 kg and don't want to be dissapointed.

Thoughts and advice? The Spindrift is currently the top of my list and I've even e mailed propain to see if they would swap the brakes to UK style before shipping. We'll see.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 12:27 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
So this is a really long winded way of asking, how does the Spindrift deal with geberal riding? It's obvious that it's a beast downhill which I love. But will it cope with laps of FOD or messing about off piste down there, rides in the lakes/wales/scotland on the mountains, think Welsh Gravity Enduro stages as well. That sort of thing.

The issues I can see is 180mm may be just too muchand the lockout on the shock is not within reach really. Other than that it's just sizing. I'm the age old drama of being 178 cm and 32 leg. The numbers would point to the medium to be honest but large could be an option perhaps, anyone in the same boat?

I'm looking to spec it rockshox front and rear with the superdeluxe RC3 out back as I've read all the posts here about coils and I'm about 90 kg and don't want to be dissapointed.

Thoughts and advice? The Spindrift is currently the top of my list and I've even e mailed propain to see if they would swap the brakes to UK style before shipping. We'll see.
I ride the Spindrift everywhere I can with heavy Onza Ibex DHC 40a & it's definitely not a rocket on the flats or climbs. I'm only 170cm 32in inseam & 77kg on a Medium 160mm dropper. Your issue on sizing, I would say your good on large because I find the medium a little on the tight side of things. I still have about 30mm before the dropper is fully slammed. I also have a RaceFace Atlas 35 800mm bar with 35mm rise with a Haven 32mm stem & have a 10mm+7.5mm spacer underneath & another 5mm on top if needed, going to go with a 40mm or even a 50mm to stretch it out even more.

With regards to coil or air, I went with a 500lb coil which is the recommendation but switch to a 450lb if the jumps aren't too big or if the G Outs aren't too hard. It's not an overly progressive rear end & you really need to find a balanced front to rear setup or it will want to push around corners.

A tip for customers would be to ask them to cut the steerer tube longer. The Sixpack stems only have 30mm stack, most are 40mm, & they only put 3X 5mm spacers under the stem. When you change out your cockpit you might not get enough height from it if you don't.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 12:48 Quote
Schummy wrote:
toby9843 wrote:

I ride the Spindrift everywhere I can with heavy Onza Ibex DHC 40a & it's definitely not a rocket on the flats or climbs. I'm only 170cm 32in inseam & 77kg on a Medium 160mm dropper. Your issue on sizing, I would say your good on large because I find the medium a little on the tight side of things. I still have about 30mm before the dropper is fully slammed. I also have a RaceFace Atlas 35 800mm bar with 35mm rise with a Haven 32mm stem & have a 10mm+7.5mm spacer underneath & another 5mm on top if needed, going to go with a 40mm or even a 50mm to stretch it out even more.

With regards to coil or air, I went with a 500lb coil which is the recommendation but switch to a 450lb if the jumps aren't too big or if the G Outs aren't too hard. It's not an overly progressive rear end & you really need to find a balanced front to rear setup or it will want to push around corners.

A tip for customers would be to ask them to cut the steerer tube longer. The Sixpack stems only have 30mm stack, most are 40mm, & they only put 3X 5mm spacers under the stem. When you change out your cockpit you might not get enough height from it if you don't.

Some great advice there mate. Thanks. I was looking at the size thing and picked a couple of bikes I've owned in the past, a YT Capra AL in large and an On One Codeine in medium as a comparison. Both had reach quite close to the medium Sprindrift which makes me think the reach would be ok as I was fairly comfortable on those. The thing that bother me was the Capra seat angle was only 0.5 of a degree less than the spindrift and the seat tube was 480mm, I had to put a 125 dropper on it and even that was only just ok. With the large spindrift seat tube being 460mm and wanting a 160mm dropper I think it's going to be too tall. Medium would be almost bang on at 5mm less than the large capra. And to be fair I hear the bikeyoke droppers sit a little lower anyway due to the thinner collar. I think medium maybe where it's at based on being able to have the seat up fully for pedalling but out the way enough for the downs.

Other than that thanks for the info on the steerer tube, is that something I could ask them to do?

Have you raced any enduro events with it? I'm curious about how it goes when you are putting short sprints in race runs on uphill sections etc. I can winch slowly up fire roads all day long but I don;t want to get left behind just riding anything less than a dh track. I wonder why not more people are racing them in enduro?

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 13:20 Quote
Medium feels short to me but then again reach is subjective to the rider. I'm building another SpinDrift this week, a large with a 160mm Revive. I'll have a look at how that measures up to my legs, 440mm Medium vs 460mm Large but I have another 30mm from the collar to the seat tube. I'm guessing I'll have 10mm to play with & if that is correct I'll swap to a Large frame. You also have a 32inch inseam correct? Then add a few more centimeters for them shoes & the 160mm Revive will be perfect.

When you place order there is a box to fill out for special instructions, add the request there. Then bug them about it on the email confirmation.

I don't race but I'm guessing maybe because its not yet that common.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
Schummy wrote:
Medium feels short to me but then again reach is subjective to the rider. I'm building another SpinDrift this week, a large with a 160mm Revive. I'll have a look at how that measures up to my legs, 440mm Medium vs 460mm Large but I have another 30mm from the collar to the seat tube. I'm guessing I'll have 10mm to play with & if that is correct I'll swap to a Large frame. You also have a 32cm inseam correct? Then add a few more centimeters for them shoes & the 160mm Revive will be perfect.

When you place order there is a box to fill out for special instructions, add the request there. Then bug them about it on the email confirmation.

I don't race but I'm guessing maybe because its not yet that common.

That's interesting mate about the seat heights and that you have 30mm above the collar of your dropper. I'm probably not taking into account something and am all wrong. I'll see how your large framed bike works out this week, would you let me know mate? If you feel short in reach at 170cm tall then at 178cm I'm sure I'll feel it too.

All that worries me is that my legs won't be long enough to pedal with the dropper fully extended or that once the dropper is fully down it won;t be out the way enough for me to go down steeper stuff.

Thanks for all your help though mate you're full of useful stuff.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
Sure, I'll update you. On page 9 there is a short youtube video of me jumping with the saddle fully dropped. That might give you an idea.

I'm the Propain Partner here in the Philippines so I'm a little more clued in I suppose.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
Schummy wrote:
Sure, I'll update you. On page 9 there is a short youtube video of me jumping with the saddle fully dropped. That might give you an idea.

I'm the Propain Partner here in the Philippines so I'm a little more clued in I suppose.

Excellent, well I'll wait and see how your bike turns out before I pull the trigger as I want to get this sizing right first time.

Cheers

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 15:00 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
Schummy wrote:

Excellent, well I'll wait and see how your bike turns out before I pull the trigger as I want to get this sizing right first time.

Cheers
It's not mine, clients bike.

December with 20mm collar to post & a 20mm rise Havoc bar

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 5:03 Quote
FLOWZ0NE wrote:
Wow, looking great Schummy! How's your neck feeling Huw?

Thanks for asking FLOWZ0NE. Really good. got most of the movement back. Not yet fully healed/fused the two vertebrae, but getting there. I've been told by my consultant that if I must fall off, then fall off the back! LOL
I'll be taking it easy and just enjoying the riding, not jumping, and certainly no pushing myself.
Cheers

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 5:18 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
Hey everyone,

So I was really lucky and came into some money, around £3000. The curse of it though is that I endlessly search for the best bike and best spec I can get etc. It's a nightmare. It's all for a bike that's for sure and yesterday I was nearly all set to pull the trigger on a bird aeris 145LT, I still might to be fair. I currently have a Genius LT 710 Plus which is a great bike but it's a medium and at 178cm tall I find it feels a bit short for me. I briefly owned a 2016 Capra Al in Large and the reach and wheelbase was nice but the seat tube was annoyingly just a bit high, it was workable with a 125mm dropper for pedaling but not fully out of the way on the downs.

So, I want something with the reach of my DH bike (Myst team) or more and a low seat tube which is why bird was in the frame, also on the shortlist are strive CF 8.0 which with a race licence is 3249, Torque CF 8.0, Bird Aeris 145LT, Bird AM9, Nukeproof mega 275 Pro. I race DH and want my enduro bike to feel close to my DH bike yet allow me to race enduros, ride with my mates just around trail centres, natural rides and training rides etc.

Hey Toby.
The bike is awesome for a general pedal about. I don't even use the shock levers anymore. My main ride is riding up the hill to ride down. The up can be steep but not too technical. If it gets too steep, I just walk.
I have air shock and it would be my recommendation over coil for this frame type, but I've never ridden coil so I'm just curious about it, but tuning it becomes harder/costly. The RS Deluxe is superb though.

As for size. I'm 185cm with a 33" inside leg. Propain recommended the Medium to me. I got the large. It feels just right with 50mm stem. I have the 160mm dropper and you can find a picture of mine in the thread you can see I have space under the collar - 40-50mm.

I haven't found a better 'do it all' bike, and that's before you consider the insane value for money.
Good luck!

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 9:39 Quote
huw169 wrote:
toby9843 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Hey Toby.
The bike is awesome for a general pedal about. I don't even use the shock levers anymore. My main ride is riding up the hill to ride down. The up can be steep but not too technical. If it gets too steep, I just walk.
I have air shock and it would be my recommendation over coil for this frame type, but I've never ridden coil so I'm just curious about it, but tuning it becomes harder/costly. The RS Deluxe is superb though.

As for size. I'm 185cm with a 33" inside leg. Propain recommended the Medium to me. I got the large. It feels just right with 50mm stem. I have the 160mm dropper and you can find a picture of mine in the thread you can see I have space under the collar - 40-50mm.

I haven't found a better 'do it all' bike, and that's before you consider the insane value for money.
Good luck!

Yeah I can see in the picture that you've got some room before that dropper is slammed all the way down. Interesting. It looks more and more like large would actually suit me better. Schummy on here is building one for a customer with a large frame and 160 post and said he'll let me know what it's like on him as he's shorter than me but with the same inside leg.

Thanks for the info on how it rides, it's really settling my worries about it being too much bike. I think for the kind of riding I do it will be just fine and there's no reason it can't sedately pedal around a trail centre loop either really. I think back to the enduro races I've done and only one or two had really pedally bit, the rest was pretty gnarly and this bike would eat them up.

I'm almost sold, that being said, is there an argument for the Canyon Torque AL 7.0 and then spend the difference on eagle and still come out a little cheaper but with Fox 36 and X2 combo. Maybe. Horses for courses really, I like how the spindrift looks.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 9:52 Quote
Well I say I'm nearly sold but in reality I'm at a dead end with this lot:

Spindrift top of my list, Canyon torque AL 7.0 and upgrade to eagle, torque CF 8.0, capra cf, Nukeproof mega 275 pro, Jeffsy CF Pro, Self build Birde Aeris 145LT, Canyon strive CF8.0.

All are ranging from 2699-3350 ish. I'd prefer to stay around the £3000 mark which keeps the spindrift, torque al and mega (with dicsount from CrC). The others are a few hundred quid over but I would stretch if required.

This is the curse of having money to spend, endless procrastination on what to get. I'm gonna test ride a bird next week I think and see how the 145 is. Sizing is an issue with the mega and strive, I want the reach of the large but the seat tubes put me off. Same with the Spindrift really although the dropper is shorter than the megas so might get away with it.

Decisions, decision. And hey, if this is all I have in life to worry about then life's good right.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 4:14 Quote
1st world problems! ????
I’ve not riden any of the others so can’t comment. Have you checked delivery from Propain? I had to wait 8 weeks. Well worth it though.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 4:28 Quote
huw169 wrote:
1st world problems! ????
I’ve not riden any of the others so can’t comment. Have you checked delivery from Propain? I had to wait 8 weeks. Well worth it though.

Not a bad life is it huh. Not checked but good shout, I'll have a look.

Ta

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014945
Mobile Version of Website