Post your Propain!

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:08 Quote
Could be. I think there's a kit on CrC for about £25 that should cover the main parts and hopefully stop it happening. I'll give it a bash. Propain reckon my bike will be build early August so I'll take some pics once I've done it.[/Quote]
Can you send a link for that? I wasn't able to find it

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:22 Quote
Mateo-DH wrote:
Could be. I think there's a kit on CrC for about £25 that should cover the main parts and hopefully stop it happening. I'll give it a bash. Propain reckon my bike will be build early August so I'll take some pics once I've done it.
Can you send a link for that? I wasn't able to find it[/Quote]

I think this should just about cover the main parts where the stickers are:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bike-shield-bike-shield-frame-protector-set/rp-prod148119;jsessionid=jhZX4Zw6s861TYCOmCGSGkW3.b6ee4753-0f02-3a35-a18e-fec98cc30f37

GMBN did a clip on frame protection and they used it and it looked ok so I think I'll try it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSBD335djOc

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:22 Quote
[QUOTE]
May be of interest to you:

https://www.mtb-news.de/news/2017/11/17/3-freerider-vergleich-test/[/Quote]

This article doesn't really have any depth of information, but it is a direct comparison so...thanks? Doesn't answer any of my questions though.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
lastnamefirstname wrote:
[QUOTE]
May be of interest to you:

https://www.mtb-news.de/news/2017/11/17/3-freerider-vergleich-test/

This article doesn't really have any depth of information, but it is a direct comparison so...thanks? Doesn't answer any of my questions though.[/Quote]

Did you click the link at the bottom onto the Spindrift specific review? I thought it was quite good, translation aside. Not loads of technical detail but at least it's easing my fears that the Spindrift will be too much for general riding and enduro racing.

I am waiting for my Spindrift to be built but I bought it over anything else based on the few reviews I could find and people on here's comments really. I'm aiming to use mine for general trail riding but also so I have a bike that fits more like my DH bike so I can train for DH racing on it. I will also race it in enduro races and that was what I was worried about, would it be too much on the uphill sections etc. In my experience though, transitions between the stages are usually easy fireroads or double track and uphill section in stages are not super technical or that long so I will take the downhill ability and live with it's reasonable uphill performance. The sort of races I'll be doing are UK Gravity Enduro/Scottish Enduro Series which have plenty of youtube coverage to get an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm confident it will be great on them and my focus for the next few years is DH racing anyway. Once I'm done with that I'll then move onto an all singing all dancing, super light, all rounder enduro bike lol.

And everyone keeps going on about the bike being linear etc. I'm not experienced in suspension enough to really know how that will affect me but I've gone for an air shock anyway so I'm certain I will be able to tune it to suit me just fine. And I weigh 90kg ish.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
Does anyone know if you can put a Fox Float X2 on the spindrift?

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:05 Quote
I don't believe the bike is as linear as people make it out to be then again it's not super progressive that it tends to buck you off after a G out.

Official word is that the X2 doesn't fit on the current Spindrift. Email them & they do respond quickly.

If you ride it the way it's intended you end up using DH casing tires for their support & slow rebound characteristics, those don't pedal that great. I have Ibex DHC on mine 55a/65a rear & 40a front & it weighs 16.8Kg with a 500lb spring. Have a balanced setup of 25% sag front to rear & your have a great baseline to start from, in my experience at least.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some SAR springs & been wanting to try a 475lb. 450lb was to soft & 500lb feels great for jumping but on fast chattery bits not so comfortable.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 21:49 Quote
Because of my weight and size I would definitely opt for an airshock with volume reducers. Most of my local rides are typically 3-5 miles up on fire roads and then close to the same or slightly less trail coming down. Woops, berms, jump lines, and tons of tight tree techy stuff that requires flickable moves and brake jamming (I'm often stomping my foot down to keep from sliding out). 160m bikes seem to be the norm for most people, but i don't see many guys my size riding trails like i do and the extra travel for me inspires confidence for the occasional misplaced line that I send about 4 times a day ha!

Not being able to fit an x2 is a real bummer. I'm also a bit concerned about the inconvenience of the lockout switch placement. Is it possible to get a shock lockout put onto a switch for the handlebars?

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 12:29 Quote
Personally I think Fox is way too over rated. Just like Burton in the snow world.
That said, I’ve never tried the x2, but the RS super deluxe is very good.

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 13:15 Quote
huw169 wrote:
Personally I think Fox is way too over rated. Just like Burton in the snow world.
That said, I’ve never tried the x2, but the RS super deluxe is very good.

Fox > Rockshox aaaalllllll dayyy

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 13:15 Quote
Anyone having a problem of rear axle loosening during the riding?
Ever since the start of the season my axle on my Rage would loosen up, it would even hand on by a few last threads at the times even after I've put some blue loctite on it, anyone having the same problem?

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 3:29 Quote
Almost any kind of bolt thru rear axle get loose when it's not clean & greased properly. Clean both interfaces with degreaser, make sure they are clean & dry & then apply a thin layer waterproof grease. You'll find that after they are torqued to spec they will hold longer.

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 4:53 Quote
Finally got together the money needed to order a Spindrift! Full GX build with Rockshox RC2 & Super Deluxe RC3. Sram Code RSC Brakes. Sky blue frame with red decals. Cannot not wait for the Spindrift's arrival!

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 8:35 Quote
FLOWZ0NE wrote:
Finally got together the money needed to order a Spindrift! Full GX build with Rockshox RC2 & Super Deluxe RC3. Sram Code RSC Brakes. Sky blue frame with red decals. Cannot not wait for the Spindrift's arrival!
Nice mate. I'm waiting on mine being built. Exciting times!

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 18:38 Quote
I've been riding my Spindrift for 4 months total, 2 in south western France (Pic du Jer) and 2 months in BC. So far it's been an awesome bike.

Propain Spindrift 2018

Put a SKS water bottle mount on it, game changer! Too bad they don't put mounts on the frame as there is definitely enough room.
The bike is so fast going downhill and doesn't mind long climbs once the rear shock is locked. The agressive geometry is definitely a great help in British Columbia's steep, tech and rough terrain. Slow and technical steep climbs are definitely his weakest point. The pedals often touches the ground and the front wants to lift up when things get real steep and techy. 170 crank arms would make more sense instead of 175. I climb a lot with this bike and people (and myself!) don't realize I have 180mm.

Big fan of the centered position you have on this bike. The long chain stay and slack head angle work great together. The bike keeps on asking you to charge ruts and corners. The rear suspension has a nice plush feel, and doesn't feel too linear at all. It's sensitive to small bumps and don't dig deep into its travel. I rarely feel any bottom out even if using all of its travel.
The bike feels at home when riding bike park. Rigid and stable, no worries following up with Dh bikes.

The Sram Eagle Gx derailleur sucks. Very exposed and fragile, got lots of play. Poor built quality. Already broke one without hitting it (went into the spokes). Feels great when it works tho.

Big up to the Formula Cura brakes, who have a nice and consistent feel and manage heat pretty well. The Flow mk3 wheels are nice and light but quite sensitive to dents, the rear rim doesn't look pretty at all. Good bye tubeless on the rear. The 36 Float is absolutely awesome. Sensitive and doesn't unnecessary dig deep into the travel.

In conclusion, there isn't much bikes on the market which can pedal up like a trail bike and go down like a dh bike. The Spindrift is one of them Big Grin

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 23:57 Quote
chapmanchap wrote:
I've been riding my Spindrift for 4 months total, 2 in south western France (Pic du Jer) and 2 months in BC. So far it's been an awesome bike.

Propain Spindrift 2018

Put a SKS water bottle mount on it, game changer! Too bad they don't put mounts on the frame as there is definitely enough room.
The bike is so fast going downhill and doesn't mind long climbs once the rear shock is locked. The agressive geometry is definitely a great help in British Columbia's steep, tech and rough terrain. Slow and technical steep climbs are definitely his weakest point. The pedals often touches the ground and the front wants to lift up when things get real steep and techy. 170 crank arms would make more sense instead of 175. I climb a lot with this bike and people (and myself!) don't realize I have 180mm.

Big fan of the centered position you have on this bike. The long chain stay and slack head angle work great together. The bike keeps on asking you to charge ruts and corners. The rear suspension has a nice plush feel, and doesn't feel too linear at all. It's sensitive to small bumps and don't dig deep into its travel. I rarely feel any bottom out even if using all of its travel.
The bike feels at home when riding bike park. Rigid and stable, no worries following up with Dh bikes.

The Sram Eagle Gx derailleur sucks. Very exposed and fragile, got lots of play. Poor built quality. Already broke one without hitting it (went into the spokes). Feels great when it works tho.

Big up to the Formula Cura brakes, who have a nice and consistent feel and manage heat pretty well. The Flow mk3 wheels are nice and light but quite sensitive to dents, the rear rim doesn't look pretty at all. Good bye tubeless on the rear. The 36 Float is absolutely awesome. Sensitive and doesn't unnecessary dig deep into the travel.

In conclusion, there isn't much bikes on the market which can pedal up like a trail bike and go down like a dh bike. The Spindrift is one of them Big Grin

Hey dude, thanks for that. I've been worrying a little that the uphill performance is going to hold me back racing enduro but I think it'll be fine. More and more people I've read reports from say it climbs well so I'm happy. Good shout on the SKS water bottle cage, I hadn't seen one of those. I'll be getting one!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034455
Mobile Version of Website