Post your Propain!

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
Voxran wrote:
Had to do some improvements on my Spindrift for the summer... Beer

what are the dual crown like on the spindrift.
been thinking about it and how it will effect the bike.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
huw169 wrote:
Oh my god, I love the Spindrift!!!

Had another awesome session at Windhill B!KEPARK Saturday. The better I get, the better the bike seems to be. Loving it.

Can't comment on the quality issues though.... Mine was/is fine. Hope you get it sorted.
The stickers/decals are shit though....

yeah i think i'm gonna send an email soon to the guys at Slick Graphics and get some custom ones.Apart from that, never had a problem

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 0:46 Quote
Serpentras wrote:
Voxran wrote:
I am not really into RAW frames because I work with VA, Aluminium , Steel and other non-ferrous metals everyday but I must say this looks really awesome especially because you only have two colors, sort of when I count the decals als silver Big Grin

Did you remove the 5mm travel spacer on the Super Deluxe? If not , do it because you get 195mm rear travel with this and the damper works overall better.
What drivetrain do you use on it?

Thanks ! I also applied a product on the frame to polish it, "Belgom Alu", but I need to do it again after some abuse and washes.. Big Grin

I know that the Super Deluxe have a spacer and yes I will remove it. I just didn't had the time to do it this sunday Wink

And I have the Sram GX 11speed from the start, it's the 2017 model without internal routing. Never had any problems with it, I just replaced the bottom bracket last week.
(I have an other bike to pedal a little bit more Wink )

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 2:24 Quote
Well maybe you still can pedal it on the top this way with the 1x11. Cool bike , I will do the same if I get a real enduro. Undecided yet...

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 5:16 Quote
Voxran wrote:
photo
photo

I like it! Looks purposeful.
Although Propain say a big fat NO to putting double crown forks on the Spindrift. I'm not sure why though as an extra 20mm will not be an issue.
Thumbs up from me!!!

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
Extra 20mm is not a problem. DC fork with 200mm travel is around same height as SC fork with 180. Problem is the dual crown interface and stanchions that reach all the way past the lower crown to the upper. Most bikes do not have that part of the frame strong enough or reinforced to withstand additional stress that dual crown imposes.

If you've ever ridden DC forks, you'll know why that makes sense. They are stupidly stiff and if you crash, you slam the fork into the frame pretty hard (even with bumpers). Frame has to be strong enough in that part not to buckle, stretch or crack.

DC does tickle my curiosity, especially since i just saw a very nice deal on Fox 40. But unless Propain comes out and says that they approve dual crowns on spindrift (which they do not) and will honor warranty on such modded bikes (which they will not), I'm personally staying away from DCs.

It looks mighty sexy none the less Smile

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Extra 20mm is not a problem. DC fork with 200mm travel is around same height as SC fork with 180. Problem is the dual crown interface and stanchions that reach all the way past the lower crown to the upper. Most bikes do not have that part of the frame strong enough or reinforced to withstand additional stress that dual crown imposes.

If you've ever ridden DC forks, you'll know why that makes sense. They are stupidly stiff and if you crash, you slam the fork into the frame pretty hard (even with bumpers). Frame has to be strong enough in that part not to buckle, stretch or crack.

DC does tickle my curiosity, especially since i just saw a very nice deal on Fox 40. But unless Propain comes out and says that they approve dual crowns on spindrift (which they do not) and will honor warranty on such modded bikes (which they will not), I'm personally staying away from DCs.

It looks mighty sexy none the less Smile

I do agree with you. The stiffness of the DC fork can be stressfull for the frame, and even if I don't know everything about stress/forces/etc.. I can clearly see the problem when a stanchion hit the side of the frame. A lot of downhill bikes are reinforced there, and even with that they bend when you crash. The Spindrift is not prepared for that.
(To be clear, it's not a brand new fork and my Spindrift is already 2 years old, so the cost are limited. I would NOT have tried that with a new fork/frame.)

For the height of the fork, the Boxxer is 9mm taller than the Yari/Lyric, axle to crown. If you add the height of the top crown, you have to remove spacers under it to keep the same feeling.

Finnbharwylie wrote:
Voxran wrote:

what are the dual crown like on the spindrift.
been thinking about it and how it will effect the bike.

My answer is in my previous sentence. I had to lower the top crown to feel "at home" on the bike with the DC fork. Also, the front is obviously stiffer, and I had to get used to the additional weight (but it was good after 3-4 runs). Apart from that, the ride is pretty much the same, I'm just more confident with the dual crown (not the 20mm of travel).

Serpentras wrote:
Well maybe you still can pedal it on the top this way with the 1x11. Cool bike , I will do the same if I get a real enduro. Undecided yet...

I think it did affect the pedaling. But it was already impossible to pedal to the top of the trail with this bike : DH tires (not pictured), DH wheels, and the path is too steep... lol I take my Knolly Fugitive when I want to go uphill and have fun on more "enduro" trails. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
Voxran wrote:

I do agree with you. The stiffness of the DC fork can be stressfull for the frame, and even if I don't know everything about stress/forces/etc.. I can clearly see the problem when a stanchion hit the side of the frame. A lot of downhill bikes are reinforced there, and even with that they bend when you crash. The Spindrift is not prepared for that.
(To be clear, it's not a brand new fork and my Spindrift is already 2 years old, so the cost are limited. I would NOT have tried that with a new fork/frame.)

Not sure if this still applies to the 2016-2018 mod but the older gen Spindrift was able to take DC forks. But max travel was still limited to 180mm.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
here is my new rig Smile

Propain Tyee 2019 FOX Float DPX2 Truvativ Descendant carbon Formula Cura 4 Formula Selva S

FOX Float DPX2 Truvativ Descendant carbon Formula Cura 4 Formula Selva S

Propain Tyee 2019 FOX Float DPX2 Truvativ Descendant carbon Formula Cura 4 Formula Selva S

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
johnyyy wrote:
here is my new rig Smile

FOX Float DPX2 Truvativ Descendant carbon Formula Cura 4 Formula Selva S

Almost Ferrari red. as Italian, me likey Cool

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 5:13 Quote
Bruccio wrote:
Almost Ferrari red. as Italian, me likey Cool

Good sunset light, in a fact color is more brownish but still looking good Wink

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
Very nice, amazing how the colour looks so much different in photos depending on the light.

Video here of my first ride out on mine https://youtu.be/I1IKU1NBBkY

Not the best video ever!

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
Nice vid, the hubs are silly loud aren’t they. How are you getting on with the Tyee? Loving mine, can’t figure out how to post pics of it though

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 22:48 Quote
Only had the one ride on mine so far and it was great fun but think it will be better once I have time to tune the suspension in a bit. Bike pretty much went from in the box to using it on an uplift with about a 30 sec carpark ride in between!

You need to upload photos to your profile then just link to the photo number.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 22:59 Quote
Someone told me that Tyee frame is designed for 40mm offset forks and Formula Selva S has 46mm by default. Not a big issue but I am wondering if Propain orders OEM versions with lower offset.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016330
Mobile Version of Website