Post your Propain!

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 7:32 Quote
huw169 wrote:
GregWellard wrote:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-9jveya1px5nc6smDidvv9gICvvpHrbd

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=103QsyvH54ID0eh5LaySg_3JLqJ3YAvpC

Basically I can't get the creaking to stop and I can't get the breaks to stop rubbing, I can align them so they stop rubbing but as soon as I use them it rubs pretty severely and slows the wheels down. The rest is just general stuff I saw that seemed damaged and stuff. Also when the bike arrived most of the bolts were over tightened or under tightened, I had to torque it all but one of the things that was loose was the fork. I've tightened the top cap firmly and then the top crown pinch bolts as I used to on my very old dh but it seems to get loose again every time. Also they didn't send me the fork that was on my order confirmation, they asked me to send proof of it and when I sent them the screenshot of my order confirmation they just stopped answering me, its been nearly 2 weeks so I'm on my own now.

I struggle with this as I just can't believe a bike would ship with so many problems. How do you know the bolts were over tightened. The undo torque is typically higher than the tighten torque due to the break away friction. The ones that loosen, put some threadlock in.
Loosen brakes, squeeze lever, tighten brakes. If piston sticking, it may be a service, but it wont be both unless you are causing the issue somehow.

I have to say, my experience based on my one bike from this company has been totally the opposite to yours. The lower shock bolt came loose once, I sorted it. they forgot to send the spare derailleur hanger I ordered. One mail and it's in the post.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I know the written word can be easily miss-understood, but are your expectations fully met in other areas of your life, or is this a regular situation for you? I'm just trying to gauge if you are overly picky.

It could also be that there sales have gone up and they are under pressure to deliver. Maybe you just got the unlucky rushed through bike. But Propain rely on delivering a quality product as they do not have a big marketting budget, so I can't see this happening.

Agree. My spindrift came in good time and pristine condition.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
GregWellard wrote:

Basically I can't get the creaking to stop and I can't get the breaks to stop rubbing, I can align them so they stop rubbing but as soon as I use them it rubs pretty severely and slows the wheels down. The rest is just general stuff I saw that seemed damaged and stuff. Also when the bike arrived most of the bolts were over tightened or under tightened, I had to torque it all but one of the things that was loose was the fork. I've tightened the top cap firmly and then the top crown pinch bolts as I used to on my very old dh but it seems to get loose again every time. Also they didnt send me the fork that was on my order confirmation, they asked me to send proof of it and when I sent them the screenshot of my order confirmation they just stopped answering me, its been nearly 2 weeks so I'm on my own now.

Hey- this sucks. Normally the guys at Propain are very friendly and really think about their customers and always answer emails or phonecalls.
I havent seen these problems before on the MTB-News-Forum before.

Can you list the things that are wrong? The creaking is an issue which should be resolved+ the tires.
A lot of tires are like that- ask for a new pair.

A lot of times people just complain about stuff and then the staff at the companys get angry too...treat them like you want to be treated.

Give them a polite phonecall- it much easier and convenient than emailing- especially for warranty issues etc.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 5:20 Quote
NotNamed wrote:

A lot of times people just complain about stuff and then the staff at the companys get angry too...treat them like you want to be treated.

Give them a polite phonecall- it much easier and convenient than emailing- especially for warranty issues etc.

Well, since I received my order I am totally satisfied but before that my experience was quite terrible. Not that I am spreading the hate but if you go back couple of pages you can read what I dealt with and I was not the only one. Therefore I can feel for the guys with even more shitty situation.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
GregWellard wrote:

Basically I can't get the creaking to stop and I can't get the breaks to stop rubbing, I can align them so they stop rubbing but as soon as I use them it rubs pretty severely and slows the wheels down. The rest is just general stuff I saw that seemed damaged and stuff. Also when the bike arrived most of the bolts were over tightened or under tightened, I had to torque it all but one of the things that was loose was the fork. I've tightened the top cap firmly and then the top crown pinch bolts as I used to on my very old dh but it seems to get loose again every time. Also they didnt send me the fork that was on my order confirmation, they asked me to send proof of it and when I sent them the screenshot of my order confirmation they just stopped answering me, its been nearly 2 weeks so I'm on my own now.

Hey- this sucks. Normally the guys at Propain are very friendly and really think about their customers and always answer emails or phonecalls.
I havent seen these problems before on the MTB-News-Forum before.

Can you list the things that are wrong? The creaking is an issue which should be resolved+ the tires.
A lot of tires are like that- ask for a new pair.

When I get back home I'll phone them up, but I was using email thinking they might find it easier with the English. I've been honest and polite with them and I can understand they're surprised and frustrated too but the fact its been taking so long and that they haven't offered me anything after 2 months annoys me. (by email all I've been doing is sending the videos and pictures they asked for, explaining what's wrong, answering all their questions and proposing ways they could sort it out). What also annoys me is that after weeks of me answering pretty much the same questions and sending them the picture of my order confirmation they asked for to prove my claim that they didn't send me the same fork that I technically ordered, they completely stopped responding to me. I agree that the tires and creaking are a simple fix but there's more to this than that. I know its hard to believe but in the end whether you believe me or not doesn't matter as propain are the only ones who can solve this for me, I came here to see if I really am the only one who has had a bad experience with them or what the best thing for me to do is. For the person who said that I cant tell for sure they over tightened the bolts, trust me that the bolts that pinch onto the crown, top and bottom were done up soooo tight, no way that was static friction making it super hard to loosen. That's a very minor detail but I mentioned it anyways. Also if aligning the brakes worked that easily I wouldn't have any issue getting it to work like it has on my other bikes. I can understand my experience is nothing like yours but the problems I describe are facts, I agree some things aren't worth mentioning but I wouldn't have if the rest was working fine. Saying that maybe I have a tendency to be very demanding or picky is only true when I spend close to 5k on a bike, but then again I bet you wouldn't be happy to get what I got. I've already had experiences with buying bikes online, one for me and another DH I set up for a friend and trust me Ive never had any issues like the ones I have at the moment. When my Vitus bike got send with a faulty dropper it took 3 emails to get a replacement one. No issues, and that was chain reaction cycles which you would expect to be poorer quality than Propain. So it's been a pretty complicated beginning of season and at this point I'd love to be able to get a full refund and send them the bike back. I proposed them to just refund me the price a bike shop would charge for fixing it and getting it into a good state like a new bike should be, plus the price difference between the two forks but they refused. I didn't ask them anything for the broken spoke, damaged seal or the fact that the brakes seem odd, mind you I havnt ridden it yet so maybe it'll fix itself with a bit of pad wear? I can't see what I've done wrong to upset them so I'll just give them a call when I get back and if after that still nothing happens I'll just have to pretend I got a top end second hand bike or something and forget this ever happened

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
huw169 wrote:
GregWellard wrote:

Basically I can't get the creaking to stop and I can't get the breaks to stop rubbing, I can align them so they stop rubbing but as soon as I use them it rubs pretty severely and slows the wheels down. The rest is just general stuff I saw that seemed damaged and stuff. Also when the bike arrived most of the bolts were over tightened or under tightened, I had to torque it all but one of the things that was loose was the fork. I've tightened the top cap firmly and then the top crown pinch bolts as I used to on my very old dh but it seems to get loose again every time. Also they didn't send me the fork that was on my order confirmation, they asked me to send proof of it and when I sent them the screenshot of my order confirmation they just stopped answering me, its been nearly 2 weeks so I'm on my own now.

I struggle with this as I just can't believe a bike would ship with so many problems. How do you know the bolts were over tightened. The undo torque is typically higher than the tighten torque due to the break away friction. The ones that loosen, put some threadlock in.
Loosen brakes, squeeze lever, tighten brakes. If piston sticking, it may be a service, but it wont be both unless you are causing the issue somehow.

I have to say, my experience based on my one bike from this company has been totally the opposite to yours. The lower shock bolt came loose once, I sorted it. they forgot to send the spare derailleur hanger I ordered. One mail and it's in the post.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I know the written word can be easily miss-understood, but are your expectations fully met in other areas of your life, or is this a regular situation for you? I'm just trying to gauge if you are overly picky.

It could also be that there sales have gone up and they are under pressure to deliver. Maybe you just got the unlucky rushed through bike. But Propain rely on delivering a quality product as they do not have a big marketting budget, so I can't see this happening.

They did apologise and explained that they were extremely busy, apparently not all the employees were working there at the time too due to a local holiday... but still?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
Just got back from Morzine. Great trip.
The Spindrift is amazing. No troubles. Code RSC's are bang on. Even on the stupidly long steep descents. No sponginess, or change in bite point, or hint of boiling. I even went out there with wafer thin pads expecting to change them on first day. Still in there. LOL

Cased a gap on my first day. OTB. Not pretty....
Other than that ticked off most of my 'to do' list apart from the Chatel river gap (they knocked it all about and were working on it) or the Les Gets wood launcher at the top (was feeling less confident after my OTB...)

Mont Cherry lift in Les Gets has an awesome run. Very jumpy/gappy black. The first is enormous! But did the rest. Need to work on my 'pop' technique though.

Great few days!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
What's the opinion on running a 230x60 metric CC DB Coil CS with OPT switch on a 2018 Spindrift? I'm thinking it might be the answer to making the bike faster for enduro racing. Basically I'm selling my DH bike soon and going to focus on enduro next year. I am even going to try for an entry into one of the EWS 100 rounds next year. My mind says sell up and try and buy a 29er that might be a bit friendlier for all day riding etc but I don't think I'll raise enough and don't really want to get into finance deals or anything. So I'm thinking how do I make my spindrift a bit more enduro friendly. I've raced a few enduros on it and it's pretty good but I think the climb switch on a coil shock might just give me that extra oompf for long climbs or flowier stages.
Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 23:46 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
What's the opinion on running a 230x60 metric CC DB Coil CS with OPT switch on a 2018 Spindrift? I'm thinking it might be the answer to making the bike faster for enduro racing. Basically I'm selling my DH bike soon and going to focus on enduro next year. I am even going to try for an entry into one of the EWS 100 rounds next year. My mind says sell up and try and buy a 29er that might be a bit friendlier for all day riding etc but I don't think I'll raise enough and don't really want to get into finance deals or anything. So I'm thinking how do I make my spindrift a bit more enduro friendly. I've raced a few enduros on it and it's pretty good but I think the climb switch on a coil shock might just give me that extra oompf for long climbs or flowier stages.
Thoughts?

CS calms the bike a lot, which is a great thing. Spindrift will still bob, even with CS, but it's much more managable than without CS. I wouldn't descend with CS on, even on tame stages. Propains have big leverage ratio that will wreck the internals on more sensitive shocks (such as DHX). I don't know is CCDB is more robust, but I'd still advise against it

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 6:42 Quote
shoshy wrote:
toby9843 wrote:
Thoughts?

CS calms the bike a lot, which is a great thing. Spindrift will still bob, even with CS, but it's much more managable than without CS. I wouldn't descend with CS on, even on tame stages. Propains have big leverage ratio that will wreck the internals on more sensitive shocks (such as DHX). I don't know is CCDB is more robust, but I'd still advise against it

To be fair I'm really just thinking that a remote lockout would be nice for the climbs and for those short sharp punchy climbs you occasionally get in enduro stages. I climb without the lockout on with my Super deluxe now adequately really but I think the coil may give me a nicer ride going downhill and the remote could be a godsend. If they are so terrible with coils why do they have them as an option??!!

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 23:22 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
To be fair I'm really just thinking that a remote lockout would be nice for the climbs and for those short sharp punchy climbs you occasionally get in enduro stages. I climb without the lockout on with my Super deluxe now adequately really but I think the coil may give me a nicer ride going downhill and the remote could be a godsend. If they are so terrible with coils why do they have them as an option??!!

I didn't mention anywhere that they are terrible with coils. CS = climb switch. Descending with climb switch engaged is never a good idea, especially with a shock with delicate internals (like X2/DHX2)
I think that remote lockout is a very good idea (if you manage to fit it)

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 4:42 Quote
shoshy wrote:
toby9843 wrote:

I didn't mention anywhere that they are terrible with coils. CS = climb switch. Descending with climb switch engaged is never a good idea, especially with a shock with delicate internals (like X2/DHX2)
I think that remote lockout is a very good idea (if you manage to fit it)

Ah mate sorry I think I wasn't being clear. I wasn't questioning what you'd said, I was just going by the general opinion that the spindrift isn't great with a coil which seems to be quite a common statement. Not disagreeing with you in any way so apologies if that came across wrong.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 6:28 Quote
Guys do you know which volume spacer is fitted in Tyee's DPX2 by default? Fox webside is useless ( no data for Tyee) and I am to lazy to dissassemble suspension links just for checking purpouses (or I am just mittigating the risk of breaking something up)

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 2:02 Quote
I used the code on the shock and typed it into fox website for my spindrift

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
Howdy Fellas! I had received my Propain Spindrift in September last year and ooooooh man it has taking me places. I opted to race the entire National DH Series here on the Spindrift and I definitely did not feel disadvantaged against the big bikes. I opted to get the Spindrift instead of the Rage since there isn't any shuttle services within 1 & half hours drive from home. Attached is footage from my local downhill track (Channel 10 DH Track). It is about 30 min drive from home and best replicates the types of race tracks we have here in Australia, (Tight, Rough & Steep).

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 22:56 Quote
seansaxon wrote:
I used the code on the shock and typed it into fox website for my spindrift

This is what I did. But: "The information you are looking for is unavailable at this time" so I thought that someone here might know the answer...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010837
Mobile Version of Website