Post your Propain!

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 1:58 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Did you by any chance buy non boost hub and laced your wheel around it?
Other than that, there is absolutely no reason why brake caliper would misalign with rotor.

There is nothing special or proprietary in Propain rear ends and hubs.

A good and valid question, but no this is a 148mm boost hub. I also tried a Roval (which I think is a Formula) standalone hub with the same results.

What differs with the Propain hub is that the preload is adjustable by screwing the end-caps making the hub slightly wider or more narrow. But I guess it's just a coincidence that it works. Everyone who have two different hub-brands on the same bike knows that even though the dimensions are standardized, you always need to adjust the brakes anyway.

So in essence, as far as I can tell the only reason is that the brake mount to the frame is off in relative to the axle. Either the threaded "bars" are wrongly built, or they are welded slightly too much out from the wheel.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 10:21 Quote
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
A question to my fellow Propain-owners:

Is there alot of room for adjustment on your rear brakes? On my Propain-hubs I had a pretty small margin, but always managed to center the caliper to the disk as long as the preload was correct (which it changed itself on occasions for no reason, but anyway). Now however, I have replaced the hub with a Pro4 and it is impossible to adjust it correctly to ensure no rubbing. As seen in the picture below, I have the screws loosened slightly and can still just about manage to center the caliper to the disk. When thightening the screws, the caliper of course goes slightly more out and it is impossible. Apart from shimsing the disk, I can't see any fix for this. The axle is tight and seem undamaged, the hanger tightened and so forth. Anyone else with a similar problem?

https://imgur.com/a/p93JmgF

Your hose could be too tight and not allow the caliper to move freely.
I had this problem as well and undid the hose from frame and it helped

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 22:49 Quote
Finnbharwylie wrote:
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
A question to my fellow Propain-owners:

Is there alot of room for adjustment on your rear brakes? On my Propain-hubs I had a pretty small margin, but always managed to center the caliper to the disk as long as the preload was correct (which it changed itself on occasions for no reason, but anyway). Now however, I have replaced the hub with a Pro4 and it is impossible to adjust it correctly to ensure no rubbing. As seen in the picture below, I have the screws loosened slightly and can still just about manage to center the caliper to the disk. When thightening the screws, the caliper of course goes slightly more out and it is impossible. Apart from shimsing the disk, I can't see any fix for this. The axle is tight and seem undamaged, the hanger tightened and so forth. Anyone else with a similar problem?

https://imgur.com/a/p93JmgF

Your hose could be too tight and not allow the caliper to move freely.
I had this problem as well and undid the hose from frame and it helped

That's an interesting idea! The hose was indeed very tight from the last mount (a very studry one) to the caliper, but loosing it didn't make any significant difference unfortunately.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
When you tighten the rear axle it would preload the rear triangle & change the disc caliper alignment. The work around was to make sure your torque value for the axle was consistent everytime & then adjust the caliper alignment. This was with the stock hubs. Another customer with Project 321 hubs also had this issue but not as evident with the stock hubs.

You'll also find that if you torque it to the upper range for the axle you will get some binding in the pivot bearings.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 23:51 Quote
Schummy wrote:
When you tighten the rear axle it would preload the rear triangle & change the disc caliper alignment. The work around was to make sure your torque value for the axle was consistent everytime & then adjust the caliper alignment. This was with the stock hubs. Another customer with Project 321 hubs also had this issue but not as evident with the stock hubs.

You'll also find that if you torque it to the upper range for the axle you will get some binding in the pivot bearings.

Yes that's very true! But it doesn't help with the hope hubs unfortunately, as they are not adjustable Frown And independent of torque, I can't get it to work..

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 2:54 Quote
How tight is your rear axle?

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 0:48 Quote
Schummy wrote:

I usually tighten it to about 10Nm I think. I've tighten it with a torque wrench to the value specified on the axle (or halfway in that interval) without any difference.

How much play between the wheel axle and the dropouts is normal? The distance is about 150mm (so roughly 2mm of play), so I'm wondering if the rear triangle is somewhat skew.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 3:34 Quote
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
Schummy wrote:

I usually tighten it to about 10Nm I think. I've tighten it with a torque wrench to the value specified on the axle (or halfway in that interval) without any difference.

How much play between the wheel axle and the dropouts is normal? The distance is about 150mm (so roughly 2mm of play), so I'm wondering if the rear triangle is somewhat skew.
So the Syntace X-12 is 10nm-16nm, try 12nm. After torquing check clearance range of the caliper and/or adaptor used, you normaly have a 3mm of extra clearance on the caliper at least for SRAM Code. I don't sell any Propain items anymore so I can't check but when I still had them all the Spindrift units had this issue.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 23:07 Quote
Schummy wrote:
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
Schummy wrote:

So the Syntace X-12 is 10nm-16nm, try 12nm. After torquing check clearance range of the caliper and/or adaptor used, you normaly have a 3mm of extra clearance on the caliper at least for SRAM Code. I don't sell any Propain items anymore so I can't check but when I still had them all the Spindrift units had this issue.

Thanks, I'll give that a try once my Pro4 wheels are back from finetuning!

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 7:20 Quote
Been eyeing spindrift for a while now. Thinking about getting one this winter.

Been riding 2017 giant trance 3, heavily upgraded, only the frame and hubs are stock, i've tuned it towards better descending... Been mostly doing bikeparking this season, and i feel like i could upgrade to a more bikepark oriented bike. I'm assuming the spindrift is still capable of random trips to local trails?

About size, i'm 170cm. The tables suggest an S size but i'm still wondering if i should go for more stable M size ?

Also, i'd love to try a coil, i'm relatively heavy, a little over 100kg, does the coil work on heavier riders? Sorry have no experience of a coil shock. Or should i just stick to air shock?

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 1:39 Quote
Hi Guys,

Firstly, what a brilliant thread...been really struggling with finding good reviews/pictures online about the Spindrift.

I'm looking to purchase one soon as everything I've seen and heard is all good. Currently riding a radon swoop 170 which I absolutely love so the spindrift has big shoes to fill but looks like its more than capable.

I'm around 178cm and Propain have said I would be a medium, looking at the size chart I'm in the middle of med/large but a medium would be more playful so I guess that would be good as I only really ride bike parks?

Does anyone on here own a Spindrift in the new matte black?? would be keen to see some pictures of it. Also, thinking of swapping to a coil shock but only ever ridden air shocks so not really sure how much difference it will be. obviously a lot plusher I'm assuming Smile

Cheers, Mike

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 3:27 Quote
Lordy1987 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Firstly, what a brilliant thread...been really struggling with finding good reviews/pictures online about the Spindrift.

I'm looking to purchase one soon as everything I've seen and heard is all good. Currently riding a radon swoop 170 which I absolutely love so the spindrift has big shoes to fill but looks like its more than capable.

I'm around 178cm and Propain have said I would be a medium, looking at the size chart I'm in the middle of med/large but a medium would be more playful so I guess that would be good as I only really ride bike parks?

Does anyone on here own a Spindrift in the new matte black?? would be keen to see some pictures of it. Also, thinking of swapping to a coil shock but only ever ridden air shocks so not really sure how much difference it will be. obviously a lot plusher I'm assuming Smile

Cheers, Mike

Germans have some reviews on Propains.
https://www.mtb-news.de/news/3-freerider-vergleich-test/

I would not recommend M on 178cm height. Go for L, it will fit much better. I'm about your height, tested M before I bought my L sized and I do not regret my decision.
Spindrift is unreal compared to Swoop. I've tested them back to back few weeks ago. When ridden on same track, Swoop seems to get hung up and slow down in chunk, while Spindrift just plows and accelerates. Both seemed to be equally plush and had same shocks but Spindrift visibly pulls away. It also feels like it has a lot more travel in reserve than Swoop.

On the other hand, coiled Spindrift sucks when sprinting . Suspension sucks up all your energy. On the same note, it's horrid climber without climb switch. Pedalling position is good, but suspensions bogs down if you don't lock it out.

Shock choice matters a lot on this bike. Frame is quite a bit DH oriented, and coil shock will exaggerate those characteristics. If you want all around bike, go for air shock. All cons I listed will be negligible and bike will still be way above average when pointed down. If you decide to go coil, i suggest you get some bottom out support. Either shock with bottom out resistance adjust or progressive spring.

In my riding area, we have raw, black, orange and yellow spindrifts Beer
Black is wicked, but IMHO, raw is unbeatable. I might be biased Salute

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 4:45 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Lordy1987 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers, Mike

Germans have some reviews on Propains.
https://www.mtb-news.de/news/3-freerider-vergleich-test/

I would not recommend M on 178cm height. Go for L, it will fit much better. I'm about your height, tested M before I bought my L sized and I do not regret my decision.
Spindrift is unreal compared to Swoop. I've tested them back to back few weeks ago. When ridden on same track, Swoop seems to get hung up and slow down in chunk, while Spindrift just plows and accelerates. Both seemed to be equally plush and had same shocks but Spindrift visibly pulls away. It also feels like it has a lot more travel in reserve than Swoop.

On the other hand, coiled Spindrift sucks when sprinting . Suspension sucks up all your energy. On the same note, it's horrid climber without climb switch. Pedalling position is good, but suspensions bogs down if you don't lock it out.

Shock choice matters a lot on this bike. Frame is quite a bit DH oriented, and coil shock will exaggerate those characteristics. If you want all around bike, go for air shock. All cons I listed will be negligible and bike will still be way above average when pointed down. If you decide to go coil, i suggest you get some bottom out support. Either shock with bottom out resistance adjust or progressive spring.

In my riding area, we have raw, black, orange and yellow spindrifts Beer
Black is wicked, but IMHO, raw is unbeatable. I might be biased Salute

this guy, here. quote 100% even if i'd like to try out the coil, for the mora parky day. was thinking of selling one of my kidneys to get a EXT Storia Lok V3, it has an hydraulic bottom out that would be perfect to counteract the linearity of the Spindrift frame. i can tell that the suspension scheme Pro10 is really something else. smooth, controlled, i'm 1:83 x 87kg and use the RS SD with 3 tokens. never had a harsh bottom out.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
Bruccio wrote:
this guy, here. quote 100% even if i'd like to try out the coil, for the mora parky day. was thinking of selling one of my kidneys to get a EXT Storia Lok V3, it has an hydraulic bottom out that would be perfect to counteract the linearity of the Spindrift frame. i can tell that the suspension scheme Pro10 is really something else. smooth, controlled, i'm 1:83 x 87kg and use the RS SD with 3 tokens. never had a harsh bottom out.

Storia would be the bees knees. BUT, does it fit? And can you reach the adjustments?
If can't add a click here or there when it feels wrong just sucks..

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 6:06 Quote
Awesome thanks for the feedback. Think I will initially go for a coil as never ridden with one before and just want to see how it handles, can can always swap to a shock if I don't get on with it. Cool I'll go with a Large , (I did initially think I"d be a large but Propain said medium so put me off). Yeah its a toss up between the Raw and Black...it shouldn't be this hard Confused but I keep going back and forth

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009976
Mobile Version of Website