Post your Propain!

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 1:55 Quote
Mojom wrote:
terribleone1982 wrote:
Mojom wrote:

Got this guy about a month ago. Freaking love it

He's a handsome beast!! tup

If that was mine I'd de-sticker it or get matching blue fork decals Wink

Yeah, I'm still hesitant. I kind of like the contrast of the blue and orange.
And not only could I get the blue fork decals but also the orange ones from Propain... ahh so many choices

I only say that because I'm biased towards de-stickering...although mine's raw, which I think looks better de-stickered!

Thinking about it...grey decals to match the grey on the forks would look pretty cool and subtle too Wink

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 6:42 Quote
terribleone1982 wrote:
Mojom wrote:
terribleone1982 wrote:

He's a handsome beast!! tup

If that was mine I'd de-sticker it or get matching blue fork decals Wink

Yeah, I'm still hesitant. I kind of like the contrast of the blue and orange.
And not only could I get the blue fork decals but also the orange ones from Propain... ahh so many choices

I only say that because I'm biased towards de-stickering...although mine's raw, which I think looks better de-stickered!

Thinking about it...grey decals to match the grey on the forks would look pretty cool and subtle too Wink

Well time to get the spray bottle since they dont sell gray decals as far as I know Razz
I would go for a mat grey. Like you said, nice and subtle.

But now that I am seeing yours, how do you like the coil shock? Any problems with bottom outs?

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
Mojom wrote:
But now that I am seeing yours, how do you like the coil shock? Any problems with bottom outs?

I love the coil...I had one on my previous bike, but this DHX2 is even better being able to control high and low speed compression and rebound. It smooths out everything from chatter to some quite sizeable chunk so well that I'm considering going coil up front too.

Bottom out does occur, but it's never harsh if it's set up well. Downside is that it may take some trial and error to find the best spring rate...I've been experimenting with a few different spring rates; I got it with 450lbs for my 70kg weight and once I got to grips with the bike found I was really pushing it and then tried an MRP progressive spring followed by a 500lb spring.

I didn't get on with the MRP as the spring rate wasn't firm enough and gave me too much sag anyway. The 500lb was great for rowdy riding, jumps & drops but just a touch firm for general trail riding. I'm reluctant to spend yet more money on a 475lb spring just yet so I'm back on the 450 for winter lol

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
I am tempted on the spindrift. Unique bike. It is lighter than my supreme SX and has a bottle cage. How do the rear shocks hold up in that configuration? I climb my SX. It is slow but probably about an hour max fire road and woods and still have some energy to blast the downs. say 15miles total.

The frame price right now ex shock is insane.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
People with RockShox RCT air , can you share your shock setup?

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
701pirate wrote:
I am tempted on the spindrift. Unique bike. It is lighter than my supreme SX and has a bottle cage. How do the rear shocks hold up in that configuration? I climb my SX. It is slow but probably about an hour max fire road and woods and still have some energy to blast the downs. say 15miles total.

Well from all the bikes I owned the Spindrift has been the best for me when it comes to a quick ride after work, climbing 15km (~9 miles) and then just hammering down the trails back home.

90% of the times I won't lock the rear shock because I'm too lazy. (though there would be a noticible difference if I were to).
It clearly isn't the most efficent climber out there but I feel like it's the perfect bike if most of your rides are between like 15km - 50km (~9 miles - 30 miles) and your focus is on descending.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
Thanks for the info. Bike looks trick. Stands out. Should be pretty light for what it is.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
701pirate wrote:
Thanks for the info. Bike looks trick. Stands out. Should be pretty light for what it is.

If you get that bike as is it would be almost identical to mine, I'm running the heavier GX Eagle drivetrain but the ligther fox dropperpost so the bikes should almost be identical in weight.

Mine weighs in at 15.9 kilos at Framesize L (~35 pounds). Hope it helps with your decision!

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
Thats coming in at a nice weight. I am not sure on the AXS may just stick with performance GX and ditch the carbon wheels. Thanks for the insight.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 23:23 Quote
Mojom wrote:
701pirate wrote:

Well from all the bikes I owned the Spindrift has been the best for me when it comes to a quick ride after work, climbing 15km (~9 miles) and then just hammering down the trails back home.

90% of the times I won't lock the rear shock because I'm too lazy. (though there would be a noticible difference if I were to).
It clearly isn't the most efficent climber out there but I feel like it's the perfect bike if most of your rides are between like 15km - 50km (~9 miles - 30 miles) and your focus is on descending.

Agree with this...most of my rides are around 25-30km but with between 700-1000m climbing. I also manage to get in 4 rides most weeks, sometimes more depending on work (freelancer life!).

Looking for actual proof of it's climbing prowess; I used to have a Canyon Strive which weighed probably 2-3 kilos less, but have got better times on almost all ups and downs on the Spindrift. Maybe that's my fitness improving, maybe it's because my legs are now used to cranking the Spindrifts weight about...who knows lol All I know is that ups aren't a big issue and I'll quite often get strange looks when passing people on lighter, shorter travel bikes. I don't really touch the lockout either as on the DHX2 you can't easily reach it without getting off the bike.

[edit]...so in conclusion...get one...you won't be disappointed tup

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 23:42 Quote
701pirate wrote:
Thats coming in at a nice weight. I am not sure on the AXS may just stick with performance GX and ditch the carbon wheels. Thanks for the insight.

Carbon wheels all the way.....

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 1:27 Quote
701pirate wrote:

That'll look awesome!! tup

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 2:26 Quote
I will keep you guys posted once I get a hold of it. Thanks for the info

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 23:34 Quote
When replacing the pivot bearings, have anyone else had problems with bearings being too loose in the frame? Most of the bearings were really tight, abit too tight/oval holes actually as even fresh bearings felt slightly gritty once installed (needless to say I have a good press that only press on the outer race). One bearing however were so loose in the frame I could easily remove and install it by hand. And I have tried two bearings from two separate manufacturer and all of them had the same fit.

I love the bike, but I must say I'm not completely sold on the manufacturing quality Frown

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 0:36 Quote
Stoencha wrote:
People with RockShox RCT air , can you share your shock setup?

I have that shock, and i love it, and thats coming from years of coil riding. At 75kg i chose the high compression tune and gnar token, basically i wanted a more supportive setup. Ive tried running it at 27% sag and it was just fine for ordinary trail riding, with practically no pedal bob.. a good setup for long flat climb. My prefered setup is 30% sag for all around riding, perfect climbing traction, nice pop, great descending. For straightout DH though, 37% sag.. wow, DH bike level traction, and using all the travel without any harsh bottom out.
Yeah, its a good setup for this bike if you want to change settings regularly, you can even keep a shock pump with you for rides where terrain varies greatly.. cheers!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007623
Mobile Version of Website