Post your Propain!

Author Message
Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 1:28 Quote
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
When replacing the pivot bearings, have anyone else had problems with bearings being too loose in the frame? Most of the bearings were really tight, abit too tight/oval holes actually as even fresh bearings felt slightly gritty once installed (needless to say I have a good press that only press on the outer race). One bearing however were so loose in the frame I could easily remove and install it by hand. And I have tried two bearings from two separate manufacturer and all of them had the same fit.

I love the bike, but I must say I'm not completely sold on the manufacturing quality Frown

There were no loose bearings in mine, but i did experience tight holes and gritty fresh bearings. Especially the two large bearings in the main frame.

Old bearings were almost seized when in place, but were actually OKish when removed. Gritty, but I'd have no problems running such bearings with fresh grease for at least half a season on Banshee.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 3:51 Quote
shoshy wrote:
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
When replacing the pivot bearings, have anyone else had problems with bearings being too loose in the frame? Most of the bearings were really tight, abit too tight/oval holes actually as even fresh bearings felt slightly gritty once installed (needless to say I have a good press that only press on the outer race). One bearing however were so loose in the frame I could easily remove and install it by hand. And I have tried two bearings from two separate manufacturer and all of them had the same fit.

I love the bike, but I must say I'm not completely sold on the manufacturing quality Frown

There were no loose bearings in mine, but i did experience tight holes and gritty fresh bearings. Especially the two large bearings in the main frame.

Old bearings were almost seized when in place, but were actually OKish when removed. Gritty, but I'd have no problems running such bearings with fresh grease for at least half a season on Banshee.

Yes I had the same experience with the bearings in the main frame.. When you take a bearing or similar very round item you can even see that the hole is quite oval. Furthermore, I think the axle gives the bearings a too high preload if you press the bearings into their seats..

Propain will give me a new swingarm on warranty, so I have them the question about the main frame as well. But on the other hand, if this is a problem with all frames getting a new one won't fix anything.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
[Quote="terribleone1982"]
Mojom wrote:

Looking for actual proof of it's climbing prowess; I used to have a Canyon Strive which weighed probably 2-3 kilos less, but have got better times on almost all ups and downs on the Spindrift. Maybe that's my fitness improving, maybe it's because my legs are now used to cranking the Spindrifts weight about...who knows lol All I know is that ups aren't a big issue and I'll quite often get strange looks when passing people on lighter, shorter travel bikes. I don't really touch the lockout either as on the DHX2 you can't easily reach it without getting off the bike.

[edit]...so in conclusion...get one...you won't be disappointed tup
I had a Stive for a few days and it climbed better then the SD.
I had two years before I got the SD a Focus SAM, really similar to the older YT Capra or Stive. Despite the 2kg more on the SAM and with only a 32t 1x11 42/11t compared to my Spindrift with eagle xx1 and 1600g wheels it is slower and I am not so fresh at the top.
All those Enduro Bikes are better if it is flatter because you really can push the pedal without that much transfer into the shock.
Granted I use the lever even on trails downhill for the shock.
Before you say you don't need to close that thing I must tell you I try to jugde it every time on my favourite track the mega avalanche and if you can't stiff your bike up you be dead if you also can't make it plush on the fly.
So overall it is even with advanced tech slower then bikes with better seat position uphill.
I had even longer bikes and some had coils who even worked better because of that advanced coil EXT and the better seat position.
So it is one core element, the seat is in the wrong position. The Nicolai G1 was the last bike I tested and it planted the Spindrift totally except it wasn't that plush.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 1:22 Quote
For the climbing abilities, having the correct sag is essential. At 30% or slightly above, I get an extremely plush ride but its almost unridable when you should actually pedal. At 25% things start to happen, and at even slightly lower the difference to my Hightower isn't that big. Okay that's an overstatement, but it climbs really good for what it is. Also, I think the air shock is essential for the climbing.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 3:53 Quote
I would like to add a few things concerning the Spindrift and pedalling, as i did quite a bit of research on forums and studying its suspension kinematics before purchasing.
During my research i found most people were happy with its pedalling performance while just a couple of people were not impressed, so obviously people have different tastes.

Serpentas from what i gathered is a heavier guy who is hard on his equipment, and probably not much of a sit and spin kind of rider but rather a mash the pedals type. So it makes sense that he prefers the G1 for pedalling as it has high anti squat values and therefore will not sink into its travel when mashing on the pedals. The Spindrift is a different kind of animal and can be compared quite closely to Knolly's suspension philosophy. It has lower anti squat than most bikes on the market and this allows for supple and active suspension.. not the kind that will play well with stand up and mash pedalling styles. This of course makes it great for other things. I personally prefer this type of suspension as i have an aversion towards pedal kickback.

I agree that an air shock is perfect here if the bike is for all around, the beginning stroke stiction always helps a bit with pedalling. Although, upwards and over 30% sag it is going to bob, although id say at 30-32% sag bob is acceptable and gives perfect traction on rough climbs especially if good pedalling technique is used. The climb switch for me at that sag isnt even neccassary unless a long flat climb is in order. 25% sag sounds very harsh IMO, but maybe because i have a high compression tune. IME and with my setup id even be happy with 30-32% sag with climb switch on for mellow rides, as the shock opens up nicely when it gets rough.

One caveat, IME, with my setup, maximum sag (37%) which allows full use of travel is NOT a good setup for trail riding.. the bike sits back too much and bobs heavily. For downhill though, absolutely perfect!

For reference, this is all for an XL Spindrift, 188cm 75kg rider, on a RS SDrct shock with high compression tune and gnar token.

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
Well I like how the Spindrift can hit almost anything without a hard impact transferred to the rider. But for a bike to do it all it lacks in sprint performance and ofc the uphill part.
This could be changed quite a bit with the right shock.
I also use 25% sag because the bike is so plush and the DVO topaz is also supar plush that I think I am riding a DH rig.
The topaz isn't a good shock for climbing but I can't get a fox into the 2017 frame and that would be the best thing to make it more friendly for uphill stuff.
I am not that heavy, only 80kg with full gear and water @ 177cm. I have size M and I would chose XL if I must get it again but with a cut seattube.

I am super confident on long slack bikes after I tried a few but I can't decide witch I want because essential any bike I know is missing something a other bike has. Maybe I go all custom next time.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 0:01 Quote
Agree with both the above comments.

I'm only 173 cm, 70kg and quite a smooth pedaller, which probably helps me with running a coil.

I've settled on having two springs; a 450 and 500...giving me somewhere around 30-32% and 27-28% sag respectively. The 450 is great for general use, but I'd put the 500 on for a trip to the bike park. Perhaps I'll invest in a 450-500lb Sprindex at some point!

I agree with the 'lacking sprint performance' comment...the bike felt more responsive with a stiffer spring rate though, so perhaps air would be more suitable for general use for many people. I tend not to 'sprint' too much though, as where I live the trails are either full of massive rocks ready to catch your pedals, or they're steep enough to drop into without pedalling like a madman. I tend to roll into a trail and look for ways to pump more speed out of it...it must be a habit from my bmx days! lol

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 0:13 Quote
Wow, yeah obviously shock choice is very important. With my high compression tune super deluxe at 27% sag it sprints very well with practically no bob even with out of the saddle sprinting, but grip is not sufficient for rough terrain. As i mentioned serpentas i use over 10% more sag than you for all out DH and still no harsh bottoming.. interesting indeed. In any case i have no problem pedalling long tours and climbing with the right setup. Even the seated position is perfect as my knee cap is right over the pedal spindle. But yeah, very interesting to see how different people have em setup..

edit.. when i was choosing the shock, i searched for info on rock shox shock tune. I couldnt find concrete info for the SD, but i did find charts for the Monarch Plus, and there i saw that high compression tune was recommended for leverage ratios above 3:1, so the spindrift was on the border there.. just one thing to look out for for anyone choosing a shock for this frame.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 2:34 Quote
PsyCro wrote:
Wow, yeah obviously shock choice is very important. With my high compression tune super deluxe at 27% sag it sprints very well with practically no bob even with out of the saddle sprinting, but grip is not sufficient for rough terrain. As i mentioned serpentas i use over 10% more sag than you for all out DH and still no harsh bottoming.. interesting indeed. In any case i have no problem pedalling long tours and climbing with the right setup. Even the seated position is perfect as my knee cap is right over the pedal spindle. But yeah, very interesting to see how different people have em setup..

edit.. when i was choosing the shock, i searched for info on rock shox shock tune. I couldn't find concrete info for the SD, but i did find charts for the Monarch Plus, and there i saw that high compression tune was recommended for leverage ratios above 3:1, so the spindrift was on the border there.. just one thing to look out for for anyone choosing a shock for this frame.

I have to disagree with you on the bolded part. I've ridden quite a few bikes back to back against SD, even other
Spindrifts to compare setups.
Personally i run DHX2 with progressive spring at around 30% sag, and I have ridden friends SD with SuperDeluxe air also with same sag. With DHX sprints like shit. No need to even compare it with anything, you feel it bobbing horribly. With SuperDeluxe it is not so noticeable, but becomes apparent when you compare it with bikes with even marginally better AS. Still a bad sprinter.

As for climbing, sit and spin if you are smooth works great. But this goes for ANY suspension platform. Pedalling position is excellent though.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 3:33 Quote
did you try 27% sag with a high compressuon tune?

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 5:04 Quote
Probably, because my weight varies between 75 and 85kgs over the year, but coil spring remains constant Big Grin
I admin, i tend to run my compression wide open, so a bit of low speed compression might firm up the platform, but i stand by what i said. Spindrift is no sprinter.
Try Nomad v4, that bike sprints nice.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 5:16 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Probably, because my weight varies between 75 and 85kgs over the year, but coil spring remains constant Big Grin
I admin, i tend to run my compression wide open, so a bit of low speed compression might firm up the platform, but i stand by what i said. Spindrift is no sprinter.
Try Nomad v4, that bike sprints nice.

There is no probably, unless you have tried it with a super deluxe air that has a factory high compression tune then we are talking apples and oranges.. that needs to be said. Many variables are at play and when talking about these things the variables need to be transparent.. it makes it easier for people reading to know what exactly is going on.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Probably, because my weight varies between 75 and 85kgs over the year, but coil spring remains constant Big Grin
I admin, i tend to run my compression wide open, so a bit of low speed compression might firm up the platform, but i stand by what i said. Spindrift is no sprinter.
Try Nomad v4, that bike sprints nice.

I'm running around 10-12 clicks out of LSC and HSC...so about halfway. Probably why mine seems to pedal ok!

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
Hi guys! Happy new year! Im considering buyng a propain frame for a custom build and wondering between a spindrift and tyee alloy. My riding consists of climbing on roads and then descending on the steep trails. I mostly push the bike if i climb directly on the trail, because my local trails are too steep. Sometimes i pedal for 2-3 hours uphill and then descend. So i need the bike to be pretty efficient in pedaling. Downhill im pretty agrressive, riding mostly natural terrain with a lot of filthy rockgardens, stairset like root-rock combos, and massive roots, everything quite steep. Also smashing lots of urban downhill trails. Basicaly i need a very good on the dh enduro bike, that also pedals very well on both asphalt and the trails. Technical climbs are also on the list. Btw im 190 95-100 kg. Rear shock choice is air for now, might try a coil with climb switch. Cheers!

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 2:26 Quote
Hi guys this is my second tyee boost frame
Propain tyee boost


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005981
Mobile Version of Website