Post your Propain!

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Hi guys! Happy new year! Im considering buyng a propain frame for a custom build and wondering between a spindrift and tyee alloy. My riding consists of climbing on roads and then descending on the steep trails. I mostly push the bike if i climb directly on the trail, because my local trails are too steep. Sometimes i pedal for 2-3 hours uphill and then descend. So i need the bike to be pretty efficient in pedaling. Downhill im pretty agrressive, riding mostly natural terrain with a lot of filthy rockgardens, stairset like root-rock combos, and massive roots, everything quite steep. Also smashing lots of urban downhill trails. Basicaly i need a very good on the dh enduro bike, that also pedals very well on both asphalt and the trails. Technical climbs are also on the list. Btw im 190 95-100 kg. Rear shock choice is air for now, might try a coil with climb switch. Cheers!

You're propably going to have to sacrifice on either climbing performance or downhill performance. It's always going to be a compromise in either direction Smile

I'm buying the spindrift in the upcoming month and i'm going to be mainly use it for bikeparks, and on some random trips to local trails. From what i've read, i'd say spindrift is 80% downhill, 20% uphill. Tyee propapbly 60/40.

But people who own the bike can propably comment better.

Just my 2c.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
Hello,

thank you for your mail. We are working on it to sell our bikes in the USA. We hop that we are able within the next couple of months.

So just follow our Instagram and Facebook page. There will be the finals news.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
Bnito wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:
Hi guys! Happy new year! Im considering buyng a propain frame for a custom build and wondering between a spindrift and tyee alloy. My riding consists of climbing on roads and then descending on the steep trails. I mostly push the bike if i climb directly on the trail, because my local trails are too steep. Sometimes i pedal for 2-3 hours uphill and then descend. So i need the bike to be pretty efficient in pedaling. Downhill im pretty agrressive, riding mostly natural terrain with a lot of filthy rockgardens, stairset like root-rock combos, and massive roots, everything quite steep. Also smashing lots of urban downhill trails. Basicaly i need a very good on the dh enduro bike, that also pedals very well on both asphalt and the trails. Technical climbs are also on the list. Btw im 190 95-100 kg. Rear shock choice is air for now, might try a coil with climb switch. Cheers!

You're propably going to have to sacrifice on either climbing performance or downhill performance. It's always going to be a compromise in either direction Smile

I'm buying the spindrift in the upcoming month and i'm going to be mainly use it for bikeparks, and on some random trips to local trails. From what i've read, i'd say spindrift is 80% downhill, 20% uphill. Tyee propapbly 60/40.

But people who own the bike can propably comment better.

Just my 2c.
I might go for the spindrift. It looks sexier, burlyer and stronger, plus i will use an air shock with climb switch (dvo topaz) so i think it wont be that « bad » at climbing. I mean if the worst climber is a dh bike with coil and the best is a hardtail xc bike, a well balanced and sized180 mm enduro bike with a climb switchwont be that bad

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 3:57 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
I might go for the spindrift. It looks sexier, burlyer and stronger, plus i will use an air shock with climb switch (dvo topaz) so i think it wont be that « bad » at climbing. I mean if the worst climber is a dh bike with coil and the best is a hardtail xc bike, a well balanced and sized180 mm enduro bike with a climb switchwont be that bad

I agree. Climbing on the spindrift isn't bad. If I lock the Shock it even climbs better than my XC bike. (Though that's most likely because the spindrift is a lot lighter since my XC is pretty old)

Best option for you would obviously be to try and find someone who owns a Sprindrift, so you can test it out for yourself since everyone will be judging it differently depending on wich bikes they rode previously or how fit they are.

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 10:33 Quote
Mojom wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:

I agree. Climbing on the spindrift isn't bad. If I lock the Shock it even climbs better than my XC bike. (Though that's most likely because the spindrift is a lot lighter since my XC is pretty old)

Best option for you would obviously be to try and find someone who owns a Sprindrift, so you can test it out for yourself since everyone will be judging it differently depending on wich bikes they rode previously or how fit they are.
I just saw another thread on pb where some guy who had the spindrift from 2018/2017, im not sure was absolutely dissing its ability to climb, saying that the bike was bobbing like crazy compared to other DH BIKES, that it had a very low anti squat and how the rear linkage whas garbage. Speaking of which, im currently on a cube stereo with 140% antisquat and im pretty happy with it. But i havent found any data for the spindrifts cinematicks

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 0:43 Quote
Another thing guys, since i am really obsessed with build quality. Currentrly my cube stereo hpa feels very highend, the details are taken care of, and the build itself is well balanced, leaving the impression of a really good quality. What about propain? Are the bearings good, does the frame feel solid and well composed? Also have you guys observed some rather inconvinient passages for the cables? On my cube every cable feels right in place, but on the propain they seem a little bit too exposed right under rhe bottom brackett.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 1:39 Quote
Have a look at the last couple of pages in this thread, plenty of info on how the suspension works. Other than that, quality is spot on, nothing really negative to mention, at least for the new model.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Another thing guys, since i am really obsessed with build quality. Currentrly my cube stereo hpa feels very highend, the details are taken care of, and the build itself is well balanced, leaving the impression of a really good quality. What about propain? Are the bearings good, does the frame feel solid and well composed? Also have you guys observed some rather inconvinient passages for the cables? On my cube every cable feels right in place, but on the propain they seem a little bit too exposed right under rhe bottom brackett.

Firebird 29, a bike way more expensive than the Spindrift, got the cables exposed under the bottom bracket too.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 1:48 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:

I had the first Spindrift from 2017. The build quality was good, but clearly not perfect. The bike was well balanced and the riding was perfect, but for the frame.. The welds weren't perfect and the bearings where a little bit exposed to water/dirt. There was also a reinforcement at the bottom of the seat tube. It was like a "version 1.0".

Now, with the new Rage AL and the new Spindrift since 2018, they really improved the frame. The welds are clean, the bearings are protected, and they changed the lower and upper links to be stiffer I think. Also, the internal cables aren't too complicated, you just have to insert the cable from the bottom bracket and catch it with a small tool near the top.
I don't think it's a problem to have the cable under the bottom bracket : a lot of bikes have that, and I haven't cut a cable since years..

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
Mates, do you know if the 2020 frame is compatible with 1x11 deore xt drivetrain?

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 0:08 Quote
Hey there any help?Has anyone tried tyee with 170mm fork?
I have 160 and i am thinking to change it to 170 but i have second thought about pedalling

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 0:26 Quote
fr-giorgos wrote:
I have 160 and i am thinking to change it to 170 but i have second thought about pedalling
Forks wont affect pedaling that much. It will slacken the ha by half a degree as well as the seat angle by 0.3 degree i guess. It is said on their site that a 170 mm fork is the max for the bike.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 0:59 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
fr-giorgos wrote:
Forks wont affect pedaling that much. It will slacken the ha by half a degree as well as the seat angle by 0.3 degree i guess. It is said on their site that a 170 mm fork is the max for the bike.

yes i know that they recommend the 170 and previous years used to put 170 on oem bikes but for 2019 they change it to 160.So i have thoughts

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 1:26 Quote
Still no one with a MegNeg on Spindrift?

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
I think in german facebook group wearepropain there was someone with megneg and recommended it.

I was first gonna go coil route but i've decided to go superdeluxe air plus install megneg. I will order in the next few months so cant comment on megneg yet..

Basicly what megneg is supposed to do is increase sensitivity early on travel, add more middstroke support and increase ramp up at the end of travel..

Here is a good video from andrextr that should explain what happens when you increase the negative chamber = add megneg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HeL5NNHbFw

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014716
Mobile Version of Website