Post your Propain!

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 1:48 Quote
They can’t compare to 500 series of DT Swiss..

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 3:56 Quote
I'm considering the aluminum Tyee. I was thinking to opt for the Newmen wheels as they are a light wheel set, Review on pinkbike looked ok. They have a plus price of 450, to me it looks like one of the best spots to keep the weight down a bit.

For the rest of the build: basic drive train, Code RSC, Fox suspension.

Anyone ever had the newmen rims?

https://www.newmen-components.de/en/86/mtb/wheels/evolution-sl-a30/

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 6:21 Quote
just curious if anyone knows, if i phone Propain from the UK does anyone know if they can speak English at all?

Also, how long does a bike take to arrive to the UK from them?

Thanks,

Chris.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 6:34 Quote
chris-pagan wrote:
just curious if anyone knows, if i phone Propain from the UK does anyone know if they can speak English at all?

Thanks,

Chris.
I emailed them in english, got a response in english too. Most younger generations germans speak good enough english.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
chris-pagan wrote:

Thanks,

Chris.
Yes...call them you ll receive all your info. The only problem I ve encountered was that the robot at the beginning of the call speaks german ..but press 1 and it will be ok Wink )) .
Note: Maybe now you can also select your language...I ve made the call last year.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
I serviced a pair of Newmen sl a30 gen1 29" wheels that were used in a few enduro competitions...
Front rim was ok-ish, just a few dents, the hub bearings were toast, and by that i mean i took them out in pieces. The bearings are 6803, which, in my opinion, are way too small for enduro.
Rear rim was extremely dented(the tire was rubbing against the frame), i barely managed to straighten it up. The hub was ok-ish.
So they are light, not stiff and they don't take much abuse.

p.s. the guy had pepi's ptn rokkline noodle in the rear tire

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:29 Quote
mamut500 wrote:
I serviced a pair of Newmen sl a30 gen1 29" wheels that were used in a few enduro competitions...
Front rim was ok-ish, just a few dents, the hub bearings were toast, and by that i mean i took them out in pieces. The bearings are 6803, which, in my opinion, are way too small for enduro.
Rear rim was extremely dented(the tire was rubbing against the frame), i barely managed to straighten it up. The hub was ok-ish.
So they are light, not stiff and they don't take much abuse.

p.s. the guy had pepi's ptn rokkline noodle in the rear tire

That doesn't sound promising. I was thinking about the PTN as a backup solution just in case.

But my DT Swiss E1900 held up for 5 seasons without any issues. I only used EXO casings without any inserts. I do have a DH bike but the Capra has seen enough rocky single trails over the last years.

I'm expecting that because of the newer longer geo, 29" wheels and 10mm more front suspension, will make the Tyee more all-round then my Capra. And I might even just have one bike instead of an enduro and DH bike.

The first generation has been changed much since? I understood that the new bearing don't need to be pre-tensioned by the user anymore.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 9:48 Quote
That's the main difference, preload adjusters are gone in gen2. The rest remains the same. If you ask me, the wheels are a joke...more likely for XC or, at most, trail use. Maybe if u use them on trails like strada del sole (sfl bikepark), they will be fine but once u hit the roots and rocks, I doubt it.
If u want a light wheelset, try a custom build, like Flow MK3 or spank spike paired with 240s or some other light hubs with proper bearings, pillar or sapim spokes(the lighter version) and u're golden.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
Oh, and regarding PTN Big Grin they are not worth the money, as far as I can tell. The one that i took out of the newmen wheels was shattered.
I tried the cushcore in my wheelset(propain aka sixpack hubs with flow S1) with magic mary gravity on a rough downhill trail. So I started dry, no sealant, from 1.8 bar down to 0.8, each run releasing 0.2 bar from the tires. At 1 bar I started feeling the strikes against razor sharp rocks, but the ride felt like riding a magic carpet. This was purely for testing the cushcore and rims. They held up flawlessly. Again, no sealant inside Wink

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
Strada del sole is fun, but I ride more the rooty trails there, although I use my DH bike in parks almost always.

Normally it is rooty or rocky with the enduro: Reschenpass, Sölden, Dolomiti Paganella bikepark.

Cushcore is too heavy for me to even try. I can really feel the difference between heavy DH-tube vs tubeless. I am managing on Enduro with Exo casings, and the on the DH bike with DH casings. For DH it wouldn't really matter, but on days I have to peddle I like lightness.

But I think you should see PTN or hucknorris as something you replace every tire swap/or every couple of tires. They just wear out due to the impacts.

But your comment had me looking at the actual rim weight (all 29"):

Flow s1= 584gr
Flow MK3=527gr
Flow EX3=618gr
Newmen SLA30= 535gr

So where the mass really count on the outside the MK3 is as good! And like instead of putting 450€ extra in the newmen set, I can always later get a nicer hub laced in.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
spank spike race 33 29" is 525g and I used a pair for 2 seasons on my former Tues AL(27.5"). They held up excellent, only dented the rear one when casing a ditch i didn't see at ~40kmh. Only problem for me with the Spank rims was the tubeless tape because of the inner wave shape, but solved it with narrow tape.
So that's another option for u.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
Conserning wheels, are the ex3 more durable vs s1 or mk3?

I'm mainly after durability, weight is not so important.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 11:08 Quote
Well....that's what they say. Haven't tried them yet

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
mamut500 wrote:
Well....that's what they say. Haven't tried them yet

Ok thanks, quess i'll give em a go.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
It's pretty much a full-on DH rim the EX3. So they are more durable, but depending on what you are riding maybe overkill, wrt to MK3

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005542
Mobile Version of Website