Post your Propain!

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
Hi, looking at getting a propain tyee 29er. I'm just over 6'1" but will definitely go for the XL looking at the geometry. I'm just worried that the reach may not be long enough at only 491mm. This bike I demoed recently had 500mm reach and felt good. Definitely really like the 29inch wheels most of the geometry but I do like a more playful bike but still be able to monster truck stuff. Also read a reveiw slaying the BB was a tad high. Any opinions on bb height would be much appreciated. Anyone around my height all taller able give their opinion?

Cheers
Dude, 491 reach is perfect for you. Im 6,3 and currently on a 442 reach, feels a bit short, but going to go for a L tyee 27.5 with 460 reach

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Connie2003 wrote:
Hi, looking at getting a propain tyee 29er. I'm just over 6'1" but will definitely go for the XL looking at the geometry. I'm just worried that the reach may not be long enough at only 491mm. This bike I demoed recently had 500mm reach and felt good. Definitely really like the 29inch wheels most of the geometry but I do like a more playful bike but still be able to monster truck stuff. Also read a reveiw slaying the BB was a tad high. Any opinions on bb height would be much appreciated. Anyone around my height all taller able give their opinion?

Cheers
Dude, 491 reach is perfect for you. Im 6,3 and currently on a 442 reach, feels a bit short, but going to go for a L tyee 27.5 with 460 reach

I dont know. I worked out that the reach on my orange alpine 2010 is 464 and it feels very cramped

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 8:58 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Connie2003 wrote:

Cheers
By most peoples standard you are riding a pretty small bike for your height (1,9m).

XL for someone of 1,85m is OK if you like longer bikes. But L would probably fit too. That bike you rode was that enduro with similar slack headangle? Tyee has a pretty long wheelbase.

BB doesn't look too high to me. Similar height as my 2015 Capra, but there are lower bikes out there. Also the 27,5 seems to be relatively a little lower width bb height. But I don't like it lower for a bike I want to peddle up.

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
Definitely the XL because I like a longer bike. The bike I tried was a bird am9 so had a bit steeper of a head angle and was 10mm shorter(wheelbase)
Also had 150mm of travel.

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
Does anyone know where I'd be able to demo a propain tyee 29er in XL in the south of England?

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 3:53 Quote
mamut500 wrote:
I serviced a pair of Newmen sl a30 gen1 29" wheels that were used in a few enduro competitions...
Front rim was ok-ish, just a few dents, the hub bearings were toast, and by that i mean i took them out in pieces. The bearings are 6803, which, in my opinion, are way too small for enduro.
Rear rim was extremely dented(the tire was rubbing against the frame), i barely managed to straighten it up. The hub was ok-ish.
So they are light, not stiff and they don't take much abuse.

p.s. the guy had pepi's ptn rokkline noodle in the rear tire

Sorry to tell you that but if you can not set up gen 1 they will die fast because the bearing are either to tight or to loose.

I have had two sets of Newmen since 2017 and they are the strongest aftermarket wheelset in AL I have ever seen.

Most others wheelset have crumbled or dented what I did to the Newmen. I could hear the metallic clang sound and spokes when I hit the rocks fast with low pressure but nothing happened at all for a long time and my Homespot is all about rock gardens.

The wheelset from propain was straight for a long time too. Aftermarket was not so good.

Latest carbon rim I had was dead after 20 minutes and 4 trails.

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 5:58 Quote
Your hometrail is Bad Wildbad? Smile

After some more reading on MTB news i opted also for Newmen rims. Have to give them a try. Togetherr with Fox suspension and Code RSC.

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
Serpentras wrote:
mamut500 wrote:
I serviced a pair of Newmen sl a30 gen1 29" wheels that were used in a few enduro competitions...
Front rim was ok-ish, just a few dents, the hub bearings were toast, and by that i mean i took them out in pieces. The bearings are 6803, which, in my opinion, are way too small for enduro.
Rear rim was extremely dented(the tire was rubbing against the frame), i barely managed to straighten it up. The hub was ok-ish.
So they are light, not stiff and they don't take much abuse.

p.s. the guy had pepi's ptn rokkline noodle in the rear tire

Sorry to tell you that but if you can not set up gen 1 they will die fast because the bearing are either to tight or to loose.

I have had two sets of Newmen since 2017 and they are the strongest aftermarket wheelset in AL I have ever seen.

Most others wheelset have crumbled or dented what I did to the Newmen. I could hear the metallic clang sound and spokes when I hit the rocks fast with low pressure but nothing happened at all for a long time and my Homespot is all about rock gardens.

The wheelset from propain was straight for a long time too. Aftermarket was not so good.

Latest carbon rim I had was dead after 20 minutes and 4 trails.
You are quite the destroyer of everything

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 23:14 Quote
Finally ordered a spindrift, order date 5.2.2020. Got production date yesterday, 20.3.2020. Just in time for spring Smile

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 1:43 Quote
Just curious..

The spindrift comes with an rear fender. Lately i've been browsing german mtb forums with google translate, and i've seen a lot of people swapping the rear fender to an cut out sks xl front fender.

Is the original fender too small or what is the reason?

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 4:09 Quote
The original fender leaves the lower shock mounting point exposed. I don't see the logic behind this, there is easily room for a bigger fender.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 2:38 Quote
Just got my Propain Ekano built up!

New Propain Ekano

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 3:06 Quote
Quick question about getting the frame bearings out on a 2019 Spindrift.

I've changed the top sets of bearings and although the bottom bearings feel fine, I'd like to check them and replace if necessary.

Has anyone done this and is it just a case of undoing the bolts either side and drifting out the 'axles' 11 & 14 as shown below? Then press the bearing out of the rear triangle/lower link if they need changing. Any tips before I go and work it out myself would be appreciated!

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 3:38 Quote
terribleone1982 wrote:
Has anyone done this and is it just a case of undoing the bolts either side and drifting out the 'axles' 11 & 14 as shown below? Then press the bearing out of the rear triangle/lower link if they need changing. Any tips before I go and work it out myself would be appreciated!

Yes it is. Nothing special here. You'll probalby need soft head hammer to get them out. Only thing that could give you problems is getting upper bearings out, because of the axle number 5, but you're already done with that.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 4:29 Quote
shoshy wrote:
terribleone1982 wrote:

Yes it is. Nothing special here. You'll probalby need soft head hammer to get them out. Only thing that could give you problems is getting upper bearings out, because of the axle number 5, but you're already done with that.

I found the top bearings easier to get out because axle 5 pushes a bearing out as it is removed...getting the new bearings in was a tad awkward but just needed some clever use of sockets and threaded bar!

Thanks for confirming how the bottom one works; it looks like a completely straight axle on the picture and just wanted to check before I start bashing away at it! Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015172
Mobile Version of Website