Post your Propain!

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:27 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Woah. That is quite a lot.
Could you guys advise me on a bike size. Im 190cm and want to ride a 27.5 tyee size L of course. I wonder if it will be long enough despite the chart saying so. My current bike has a 442 mm reach with 1197 cm WB ( dont ask why Big Grin ) so i was wondering if 470 reach is enough with 1230 mm wb, or do you think i might need more, something like 500 reach and 1270 wb. P.s. i want a 27.5 bike. 29er s are a NEVER for me.

To short. You actually need a XL bike, so more closer to the XL 29-er with 491 reach.

I'm 1,83 and ordered a large 29. I got long legs, so I'm not bothered by the rear wheel.

You should be happy there are finally bikes that fit your length. There is with your length no issues with 29" wheels. If a person of 1,60m can whip a 27,5", somebody of 1,9m shouldn't even notice 29"wheels..

I'm sizing up from 27,5, just to have the benefits of 29".

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:
Woah. That is quite a lot.
Could you guys advise me on a bike size. Im 190cm and want to ride a 27.5 tyee size L of course. I wonder if it will be long enough despite the chart saying so. My current bike has a 442 mm reach with 1197 cm WB ( dont ask why Big Grin ) so i was wondering if 470 reach is enough with 1230 mm wb, or do you think i might need more, something like 500 reach and 1270 wb. P.s. i want a 27.5 bike. 29er s are a NEVER for me.

To short. You actually need a XL bike, so more closer to the XL 29-er with 481 reach.

I'm 1,83 and ordered a large 29. I got long legs, so I'm not bothered by the rear wheel.

You should be happy there are finally bikes that fit your length. There is with your length no issues with 29" wheels. If a person of 1,60m can whip a 27,5", somebody of 1,9m shouldn't even notice 29"wheels..

I'm sizing up from 27,5, just to have the benefits of 29".
The thing is i have almost new bike and i want to do a components swap on a new larger frame. Everything fits and i can put 27.5x 2.8 on the fork. Do you think i might do that on a tyee 29 inch frame- put 2.8 tyeres and make it somewhat 27.5 plus on a 29 frame without severe consequences on the bb? Ive had a 29er in the past and it is just not my thing. I just cant resist the agility of the smaller wheels. Plus it looks cooler to me

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 14:09 Quote
i basically want to upgrade my frame size to a something more proportionate to me. since my current numbers are too short, the bike feels instable, too high COG and too short in both reach and wheelbase. If this case is one extremity, and a nivolai/pole stamina is the other, which is too long, i want to be somewhere in the middle: not too short, but in any case not too long because i dont want and dont like to be stretched on the bike. I sometimes end up in a 3-5 hour climbs and a too long bike would give me lower back soreness too soon. so far i ve been observing and analyzing a few bikes which are the nukeproof mega, the commencal clash and the propain tyee, of which i loved the latter the most, since i find it the most appealing, and the best value for money. the three bikes have the same sizes and proportions, with the exception that the propain is only available up to size L in 27.5, which turns out to have pretty similar numbers compared to the other two bikes in size L. According to propain's size chart, i will have a more agile and playful setup using large 27.5. the other two brands also claim that size L with similar numbers is ok for my height. All of that leads me to my biggest dilemma: what is my correct size: a balanced and agile L or a larger and more modern xl? im having hard time deciding because in reality bike sizing is very relative: some people who are shorter choose bigger bikes, and others who are taller choose a bit smaller bikes.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 15:26 Quote
What happens to the geo if you put in 27,5 wheels in a 29er you can calculate yourself. But realise your chainstays will stay long.

But did you ride one of the first 29ers or did you ride on one of the modern geo enduro 29ers of the last 2 years? That is a big differen. Geo is way more important then wheelsize.

Just check the forums, but most 1,9m people will choose a XL and in case of modern geo that would often be like 480-500mm reach.

If your bike is rather new: sell that one?

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 5:06 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
What happens to the geo if you put in 27,5 wheels in a 29er you can calculate yourself. But realise your chainstays will stay long.

But did you ride one of the first 29ers or did you ride on one of the modern geo enduro 29ers of the last 2 years? That is a big differen. Geo is way more important then wheelsize.

Just check the forums, but most 1,9m people will choose a XL and in case of modern geo that would often be like 480-500mm reach.

If your bike is rather new: sell that one?

i dont want to sale the whole bike, just do a good ol frame swap.
i ve ridden both new and old 29ers and can say despite the modern geo i still hate the wheels. what i really wonder is if im ok with a L tyee 27.5, or should i aim for the xl. nukeproof mega 275 has the same reach and wb numbers and recommends 185 to 195 height for the L frame, btw robert krauss, the propain ceo looks huge and rides a 29er which looks small even on him. any clues about his height?

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
Did you already email them? What they would advice?

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 5:25 Quote
With your height, XL should be a no brainer.
I'm 179cm and ride an L. I was afraid it would be to big when i was buying, but now i see i could work with even more reach.
Don't know what were they thinking before 2018 when L was the biggest size they offered...

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
shoshy wrote:
I'm 179cm and ride an L. I was afraid it would be to big when i was buying, but now i see i could work with even more reach.
Don't know what were they thinking before 2018 when L was the biggest size they offered...
Absolutely agree.

I have a L YT Capra from 2015, that was the biggest available back then, with a reach of 445, really looking forward to get 471 reach!
I got a rather short torso and but an inseam of 90cm, while being just 1.82 cm, therefor I choose 29". If I had short legs I would have chosen the L 27,5.

A friend of mine who is just short of 2m has an XXL 29" with 510mm reach. Although I found that too long, it is way easier to ride an XXL bike then the S bike of my girlfriend at 425 reach.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
shoshy wrote:
Absolutely agree.

I have a L YT Capra from 2015, that was the biggest available back then, with a reach of 445, really looking forward to get 471 reach!
I got a rather short torso and but an inseam of 90cm, while being just 1.82 cm, therefor I choose 29". If I had short legs I would have chosen the L 27,5.

A friend of mine who is just short of 2m has an XXL 29" with 510mm reach. Although I found that too long, it is way easier to ride an XXL bike then the S bike of my girlfriend at 425 reach.

agree. they answered me. they said that i can downgrade the wheel size of the 29 xl but it wouldnt ride that good.
now i have three options
1. go for 27.5 L which i suppose is the best option for me now.
2. get a 29 XL frame and put 27.5x2.8 back and 27.5x2.8 up front , because my fork is also 27,5 with axle to crown 575mm.
3. get a 27.5 XL commencal clash with 497 reach and 1270 wb and put an angleset to slacken the 65 to 63 degrees.

all of the above will provide a major improvement over my 442 reach and 1197 wb. the question is which one would be the best option, and would the 29 xl frame give me too much trouble in this setup

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
does anyone know the axle to crown of a 29 inch 170 mm fox 36

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
Uhm a Tyee has 64,5 HA as well... why do you want 63?

And if you are looking at a Clash, why don't you consider an XL spindrift?

Anyway right size is most important, whatever brand.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Uhm a Tyee has 64,5 HA as well... why do you want 63?

And if you are looking at a Clash, why don't you consider an XL spindrift?

Anyway right size is most important, whatever brand.
because it is kinda too much travel on the rear plus the rear shock location is not the most convinient for the float x2

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
can anyone tell me how much would the bb drop and what height would it be if i put 27.5 wheels with 2.7 tyres on a tyee 29 xl tyee? im having a hard time with the exact numbers

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 20:14 Quote
2slow wrote:
Not sure if this is posted yet but Propain goes US: https://www.propain-bikes.com/us/2020/03/25/propain-goes-usa/
I'm excited to get a chance to actually ride the bikes, but a bit disappointed that the value proposition doesn't seem to be nearly as good as in Europe.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.032110
Mobile Version of Website