Post your Propain!

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 0:35 Quote
MarcusBrody wrote:
2slow wrote:
Not sure if this is posted yet but Propain goes US: https://www.propain-bikes.com/us/2020/03/25/propain-goes-usa/
I'm excited to get a chance to actually ride the bikes, but a bit disappointed that the value proposition doesn't seem to be nearly as good as in Europe.
You mean they are too expensive?

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 3:56 Quote
Cuz distribution in USA is more expensive than in Europe.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 4:27 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
MarcusBrody wrote:
2slow wrote:
Not sure if this is posted yet but Propain goes US: https://www.propain-bikes.com/us/2020/03/25/propain-goes-usa/
I'm excited to get a chance to actually ride the bikes, but a bit disappointed that the value proposition doesn't seem to be nearly as good as in Europe.
Yea, a Jeffsy Comp is 2999Euro and 2999USD so I had expected Propain pricing would be similar, however a Hugene Start is 3149Euro and 3799USD...Huge(ne) difference.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 4:55 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
MarcusBrody wrote:
2slow wrote:
I don't know if they're too expensive. They aren't out of line with some bigger brands. But in Europe, the price is a point in Propain's favor. Their announced US prices are just neutral.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
well its due to the fact that export from and to usa is usually more expensive. the same way a fox 36 is 1000 $ in usa and 1500 euros in eurpe

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 5:42 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
well its due to the fact that export from and to usa is usually more expensive. the same way a fox 36 is 1000 $ in usa and 1500 euros in eurpe

Maybe. But the difference isn't nearly as big for Propain's competitors like YT and Commencal so I expected to see similar differences in Euro/dollar prices.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:33 Quote
USD TO EU pricing is unfair for Europeans. Everything is a lot more cheaper in USA ..

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
Stoencha wrote:
USD TO EU pricing is unfair for Europeans. Everything is a lot more cheaper in USA ..

Generally (save Shimano drivetrains for some reason). Hence why Propain isn't as price competitive with their USD pricing being so far above their Euro pricing. Prices aren't bad for the spec, but not the screaming deals that they are in Europe.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
It depends how they are going to do it. If they go thru the partnership program again its going to be expensive because they will still need to make money from selling to the local partner then that guy also needs to make money. Every frame is built in Taiwan anyways so they can be more creative with their shipping all the better.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
Schummy wrote:
It depends how they are going to do it. If they go thru the partnership program again its going to be expensive because they will still need to make money from selling to the local partner then that guy also needs to make money. Every frame is built in Taiwan anyways so they can be more creative with their shipping all the better.

I'm not criticizing Propain. They're doing what they have to in order to make a buck in a tough marketplace and by all accounts deliver a good product. I'm just saying that for me personally, the Tyee went from my lead contender if it had shown up at Euro pricing to being much more similar to other bikes like the Ripmo AF and Raww Madonna that are also on my radar.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
MarcusBrody wrote:
Schummy wrote:

I'm not criticizing Propain. They're doing what they have to in order to make a buck in a tough marketplace and by all accounts deliver a good product. I'm just saying that for me personally, the Tyee went from my lead contender if it had shown up at Euro pricing to being much more similar to other bikes like the Ripmo AF and Raww Madonna that are also on my radar.

Wasn't being negative to anyone, just speaking from experience dealing with them.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
Schummy wrote:
MarcusBrody wrote:
Schummy wrote:

Wasn't being negative to anyone, just speaking from experience dealing with them.

I understood. I just wanted to make sure that I was clear that I wasn't being negative either.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
MarcusBrody wrote:
Schummy wrote:
MarcusBrody wrote:

I understood. I just wanted to make sure that I was clear that I wasn't being negative either.

I hope their using a different system now compared to the past. Don't want to see another YT Zink thing.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 13:32 Quote
Ordered the Tyee 29" in Januari and need some advise regarding the coil shock:
I ordered the 500 lbs spring and weigh aprox 82 kilo with full gear. The criticism I´we read about the shock is the small bump sensitivity, and being a total noob on this I was thinking by changing to a 450 spring might "put me a little down in the travel", and make it softer, and by doing so lower the bottom bracket a little witch also seem a little high...?
I know that I might bottom out with a 450 spring, but I´we heard from developers that bottoming out a couple of times on a downhill track is normal...

Have I got this all wrong?

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 23:42 Quote
Endurip wrote:
Ordered the Tyee 29" in Januari and need some advise regarding the coil shock:
I ordered the 500 lbs spring and weigh aprox 82 kilo with full gear. The criticism I´we read about the shock is the small bump sensitivity, and being a total noob on this I was thinking by changing to a 450 spring might "put me a little down in the travel", and make it softer, and by doing so lower the bottom bracket a little witch also seem a little high...?
I know that I might bottom out with a 450 spring, but I´we heard from developers that bottoming out a couple of times on a downhill track is normal...

Have I got this all wrong?
500 is good for your weight. I think. The bike is already progressive and that allows you to choose the spring based on the small bump compliance, not on the bottom out resistance.
What is the shock?
Bottom out is a normal thing that is supposed to occur now and then. If you do a 2 m drop you will most probably bottom out. The idea is that you wont feel it in your bones, but just barely notice it. All you need is 30% sag. Then if you bottom out add compression damping /hsc/. And reduce hsr a bit

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005792
Mobile Version of Website