Post your Propain!

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
Cwarren79 wrote:
I'm hovering over the order button on a tyee 29 large. It's everything I want in a bike coming from trail 29er 130mm rear and 140mm front. My hang up is the chainstay length, I really don't want to go over 440mm. Can anyone convince me that that it's worth it to sacrifice the ease of lifting the front end due to shorter chainstays? Should I leave 29er behind and get the 27.5? Anyone know the tire clearance of the frame if I wanna go 27.5*2.6in on the back? I'm also looking at the new radon swoop large, the orbea rallon xl and a few others.

Edit: I live in Stockholm Sweden, 29ers are preferred here due to natural trails with lots of roots and rocks, my preferred type of riding. Getting more and more into bikepark and prepared runs and trails but still love the gnarly rough stuff

How tall are you??

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Cwarren79 wrote:
I'm hovering over the order button on a tyee 29 large. It's everything I want in a bike coming from trail 29er 130mm rear and 140mm front. My hang up is the chainstay length, I really don't want to go over 440mm. Can anyone convince me that that it's worth it to sacrifice the ease of lifting the front end due to shorter chainstays? Should I leave 29er behind and get the 27.5? Anyone know the tire clearance of the frame if I wanna go 27.5*2.6in on the back? I'm also looking at the new radon swoop large, the orbea rallon xl and a few others.

Edit: I live in Stockholm Sweden, 29ers are preferred here due to natural trails with lots of roots and rocks, my preferred type of riding. Getting more and more into bikepark and prepared runs and trails but still love the gnarly rough stuff

How tall are you??

183cm,89cm crotch

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
Cwarren79 wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:
Cwarren79 wrote:

How tall are you??

183cm,89cm crotch
I dont think that 5 mm will be significant for you. However, i went for large tyee at 27.5 and i am 6’3. I also ride a lot of rocky and rooty stuff, never bikeparks, and the rocks are serious business..

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Cwarren79 wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:

How tall are you??

183cm,89cm crotch
I dont think that 5 mm will be significant for you. However, i went for large tyee at 27.5 and i am 6’3. I also ride a lot of rocky and rooty stuff, never bikeparks, and the rocks are serious business..

You just bought a way to small bike, at least way at the end of the spectrum...

I'm also 183cm and 89 inseam, and received my L 29", no way it should have been smaller.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:
Cwarren79 wrote:

183cm,89cm crotch

I'm also 183cm and 89 inseam, and received my L 29", no way it should have been smaller.

1 i ve always ridden a smaller bike and my skills are ok with one. Ive tried bigger bikes, and dont like the feeling.
2. My current bike is way smaller and i do know exactly how much bigger i want it to be, so i ordered the large tyee.
3. Bike size is a matter of preference

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
Cwarren79 wrote:

For the types of trails you're looking for (living in Stockholm myself), 29ers are the only way if you want to be fast. That being said, I have both a 27.5 Spindrift and a Hightower 29er and both sure are alot of fun. Needless to say, they are very different bikes in every way though.

However, if chainstay length are your main concern I recommend that you simply stop worrying and get the 29er. Shortest possible stays are a thing of the past for a reason. With the new modern geometry, the stays need to adjust accordingly to get your weight centered. And there are many more aspects to playfullness than that specific number. One thing to consider is to downsize (or at least take the smallest of the two when being in between sizes). That will likely have a larger impact, but with the expense of maneuverability on the very steep climbs we have as well as the gnarly decents.

Good luck!

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 5:11 Quote
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
Any more feedback from Ekano owners? Or anyone that have tried one. Preferably by someone that have tested other e-mtbs for comparison, but I understand that's kinda rare. So few reviews out there :/

I have had my Ekano for a couple of months now and i would recommend one to anyone, riding downhill and hitting jumps felt no different from on my DH bike. Absolutely love the Ekano!

I rode a Mondraker e-bike before i got my Ekano and comparing them, the ekano still feels like your riding a normal bike unlike the Mondraker, it was heavy and chunky.

Hope this helps

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:
Cwarren79 wrote:

183cm,89cm crotch

Did you have a chance to ride it yet? I'd be interested to hear some thoughts and feelings.

Also if someone already has the the 2020 27.5 TYEE? Seems all the reviews/first ride previews were for 29ers... I sold my 1st gen Capra last month and now I'm a bit undecided on enduro replacement. If I didn't already have a slightly shorter travel trail/am 29er the choice would be clear for the big wheels. But this way I'm thinking to maybe get the longer travel bike in smaller wheels for some jump lines fun.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:

Did you have a chance to ride it yet? I'd be interested to hear some thoughts and feelings.

Also if someone already has the the 2020 27.5 TYEE? Seems all the reviews/first ride previews were for 29ers... I sold my 1st gen Capra last month and now I'm a bit undecided on enduro replacement. If I didn't already have a slightly shorter travel trail/am 29er the choice would be clear for the big wheels. But this way I'm thinking to maybe get the longer travel bike in smaller wheels for some jump lines fun.

Just applied the foil and rode around my house. Feels fine not to big at all and I had a 27,5 first gen Capra as well in L. It climbs already much better in my steep street. Wheelies also fine. I cant really hold a manual anyway, but there I felt a difference.

I don't understand the logic regarding wheelsize and fun: If somebody of 1,65m can whip 27,5"wheels, then someone of 1,85m should have no issues whipping 29" wheels.

Unless you are going to flip a canyon and you need al the help you can get, wheels are not the deciding factor rather skill and posture.

PS my GF has a 27,5 Tyee, but it is a size S, so kind of pointless to say anything about it. But I probably will steal her rear wheel once...... I assume it will suck as a mullet, to steep HA and low BB.... but yeah you never know.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 12:24 Quote
Well, it's just easier and less effort on the smaller wheels. Especially if you switch back an forth between wheel sizes from ride to ride. Same with the manuals. Can you manual a bike with 455 chain stay? Sure. Is it way easier and less effort on a smaller bike with shorter 430 chain stay? Hell yes!

Speaking GF bikes: every time i hop on my GF's bike I feel like back in the days when I was riding a bmx Big Grin all of a sudden I can wheelie and hop like I never could on my big bikes.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
I already feel like that on my DJ with 400 reach....

BTW if you already have a 29-er trail bike, that is I assume something like 120-140mm range? Then I would maybe go for something rowdier like a Spindrift. Unless you have to cycle up, Tyee peddles way better then a spindrift for sure. If you are max 1,85m a 27,5 L would be fine right?

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 16:15 Quote
It's actually the 150mm "pro race" Jeffsy, so even less of a gap. And don't get me wrong, the Jeffsy is great I just want something a bit burlier with more travel for the rowdier shorter rides, which in my case is still 35km or more. I have to cycle "there, up and back home" 95% of the rides so I really want something that is not a chore on a tarmac transfer or a repeated 30 minute fire road climb. Which is the main reason why I'm eyeballing the TYEE. It is supposed to be very "pedal able", yet it's "park rated". I'm pretty much decided on TYEE. Just not decided about the wheel size yet. 1st world problems Beer

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 1:02 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
It's actually the 150mm "pro race" Jeffsy, so even less of a gap. And don't get me wrong, the Jeffsy is great I just want something a bit burlier with more travel for the rowdier shorter rides, which in my case is still 35km or more. I have to cycle "there, up and back home" 95% of the rides so I really want something that is not a chore on a tarmac transfer or a repeated 30 minute fire road climb. Which is the main reason why I'm eyeballing the TYEE. It is supposed to be very "pedal able", yet it's "park rated". I'm pretty much decided on TYEE. Just not decided about the wheel size yet. 1st world problems Beer
Got it for the exact same riding style. Ended up 27,5 because i like the “smaller wheels” more due to agility. My trails are mostly very technical tight sections with lots of switchbacks. The smaller wheels give me the maneuverability ive liked for 15 years already, so im very used to a agile bike. Of course on the many many rooty and rocky technical sections sometimes i say to myself “a 29er would be good for here” but i just perfectly manage to jump trough or pass around objects that i would just roll on on a 29er. Exactly this provides me the “fun” i like on the bike. On my height, 191 cm everybody keeps telling me i need the largest possible 29er, but in fact all my life ive owned smaller bikes for my size and have adapted my style for them. I like to feel alive on a bike, not just stay on top while it goes trough stuff Big Grin . In fact, the propain tyee 27.5 L is gonna be the largest bike ive owned. I do have tried friends’s bikes including xl 290 megas, geometrons and capras, and just had the feeling of “too much wheels beneath me” . Let me put it this way: choosing wheel size is a matter of preference and riding style/places. If you want a super lively feel and you are on the sub 187 height, 27.5 will provide perfectly. If you are taller, and want a bit larger, more stable, but more straight forward bike, go 29.no geometry can make a 29er feel as agile as a 27.5 with the same geo. It is your choice. Dont forget that you can always get a 29er fork with 10-20mm less travel and transform your 27.5 into a mullet.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
chris-pagan wrote:
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
Any more feedback from Ekano owners? Or anyone that have tried one. Preferably by someone that have tested other e-mtbs for comparison, but I understand that's kinda rare. So few reviews out there :/

I have had my Ekano for a couple of months now and i would recommend one to anyone, riding downhill and hitting jumps felt no different from on my DH bike. Absolutely love the Ekano!

I rode a Mondraker e-bike before i got my Ekano and comparing them, the ekano still feels like your riding a normal bike unlike the Mondraker, it was heavy and chunky.

Hope this helps

Thanks, that most certainly help! Also interesting to hear your thoughts on it vs the Moondraker Smile

I tried an entry level turbo levo the other week, mainly to try the whole ebike thing. Of course I already know that I don't like FSR, or the way Spez bikes feel in general.. But regardless, the ebike thing was interesting. However, without trying other ebikes it's difficult to draw any conclusions as the whole ebike thing is so completely different to an anlouge bike.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
AX3L-Sweden wrote:
chris-pagan wrote:
AX3L-Sweden wrote:

Hope this helps

Thanks, that most certainly help! Also interesting to hear your thoughts on it vs the Moondraker Smile

I tried an entry level turbo levo the other week, mainly to try the whole ebike thing. Of course I already know that I don't like FSR, or the way Spez bikes feel in general.. But regardless, the ebike thing was interesting. However, without trying other ebikes it's difficult to draw any conclusions as the whole ebike thing is so completely different to an anlouge bike.

To be honest, as a whole i thought the Mondraker just felt like an ebike, unlike the propain that just feelings like riding a normal bike just slightly heavier. its hard to compare the climbs as its an ebike after all, they all do the same job haha but riding down the Mondraker just felt too big and in the way especially trying to ride tight corners and off drops where you need to shift your weight a lot.

But looking at other bikes like the larger brands, Mondraker, Specialized etc... the Propain is the best value for money especially since you can buy the highest spec Ekano for around 6000 and some base or medium models of the bigger brands are this price.

I would recommend the Ekano to anyone looking to get an ebike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009707
Mobile Version of Website