Post your Propain!

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 9:58 Quote

Just got my new Tyee CF and it rides (and looks) amazing! Spec'd shock and fork leave a bit to be desired but those upgrades will come soon enough. What fork does everyone run on their Tyee? Looking at possibly upgrading the Yari damper through Avalanche or getting a 180mm 38/zeb for bike park season.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
azfreeride wrote:

Just got my new Tyee CF and it rides (and looks) amazing! Spec'd shock and fork leave a bit to be desired but those upgrades will come soon enough. What fork does everyone run on their Tyee? Looking at possibly upgrading the Yari damper through Avalanche or getting a 180mm 38/zeb for bike park season.
Nice congrats- I just finished a build with a 170 fox 38. Don’t ride much park but can confirm it is quite nice on the rocky rooty steeps. Can’t imagine going back to a 36.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
pnww wrote:
azfreeride wrote:

Nice congrats- I just finished a build with a 170 fox 38. Don’t ride much park but can confirm it is quite nice on the rocky rooty steeps. Can’t imagine going back to a 36.
i have a dvo onyx sc. super sensitive off the top and very progressive to match the rear end. I have ridden it at 180mm and it was good downhill, but compromised climbing.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
pnww wrote:
azfreeride wrote:

The 38 is on the short list for sure but I would keep the Yari for daily trails. I sold (selling) my DH and trail bike for one do it all bike so weight is a factor. So far I'm extremely impressed with how this thing pedals, better than my old trail bike.

azfreeride wrote:
pnww wrote:
azfreeride wrote:

The 38 is on the short list for sure but I would keep the Yari for daily trails. I sold (selling) my DH and trail bike for one do it all bike so weight is a factor. So far I'm extremely impressed with how this thing pedals, better than my old trail bike.
why would you buy this creaky bitch fork

Uchwmdr wrote:
azfreeride wrote:
pnww wrote:

Are you talking about the 38 or Yari? The yari came spec'd on the bike. You're the first person I've heard say the 38 is a "creaky bitch fork" if that's what you're referring to

There is a lot of posts on mtbr about creaking issues persisting on the 38, along with the new 36.
On the other hand, I've been hammering 36 on Spindrift for 2 solid years and no signs of creaking. Neither did the 36 i had before that creak. Neither did a Lyrik before it.

You do you, 38 sounds like a fine fork, but you have a solid chance of it developing the "dreaded creak".

shoshy wrote:
There is a lot of posts on mtbr about creaking issues persisting on the 38, along with the new 36.
On the other hand, I've been hammering 36 on Spindrift for 2 solid years and no signs of creaking. Neither did the 36 i had before that creak. Neither did a Lyrik before it.

You do you, 38 sounds like a fine fork, but you have a solid chance of it developing the "dreaded creak".
My F36 is (still) fine.... But I just got a RS Lyrik replaced under warranty for creaking...

Both on exactly same age Tyee of 2020.

azfreeride wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:
azfreeride wrote:

Are you talking about the 38 or Yari? The yari came spec'd on the bike. You're the first person I've heard say the 38 is a "creaky bitch fork" if that's what you're referring to
The 38. In fact i loved the fork when i saw it and wanted to buy it but 1600euros for a creaking fork is not my thing. I would have given them if it wasnt creaky.

shoshy wrote:

Same, no creak on my 2 year old 36.

I'm intrigued to try a 38 but do wonder how stiff a fork really needs to be...still see people shredding on Lyriks and even 34s up my way. lol

terribleone1982 wrote:
shoshy wrote:

Same, no creak on my 2 year old 36.

I'm intrigued to try a 38 but do wonder how stiff a fork really needs to be...still see people shredding on Lyriks and even 34s up my way. lol
Imo very few actually “need” a 38 but it is definitely noticeable difference especially if you are heavier rider like myself and prefer stability/traction over everything else. Know several folks with 38 and no creaking yet so based on my informal survey it’s not a big issue...knock on wood lol

Still waiting on my Tyee CF 29 in Large to be delivered, super stoked!

Would immensely appreciate some guidance on a couple questions as the Propain website is weird:

1. What kind of derailleur hanger does it use? Is there a standard Wheels Manufacturing one I can get as a spare?

2. I'm going to put a coil shock on there. Aside from using online calculators, does Propain have a chart to recommend spring rates?

Cheers!

swenzowski wrote:

Would immensely appreciate some guidance on a couple questions as the Propain website is weird:

1. What kind of derailleur hanger does it use? Is there a standard Wheels Manufacturing one I can get as a spare?

2. I'm going to put a coil shock on there. Aside from using online calculators, does Propain have a chart to recommend spring rates? A mail to propain would best answer your questions about spring rates.

Cheers!

swenzowski wrote:

2. I'm going to put a coil shock on there. Aside from using online calculators, does Propain have a chart to recommend spring rates?

Cheers!
Go to the British version/region of website and select the full bike customization option, select the coil you want (dhx2, rs ones have issues it seems) and the chart will pop up. I would go towards stiffer spring rate (round up not down) but there are many discussions on that topic in the interwebs. But bottom line don’t go softer than recommended.

azfreeride wrote:

Assegay in the rear/ aggressor at the front?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008087
Mobile Version of Website